Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great quote from Lacy Banks' column in today's Sun-Times regarding "a lack of aggression on defense in the team's second practice."

"Did anybody foul anybody?'' he screamed. "Did anybody put a [expletive] body on a player driving and trying to shoot?"
Coach wants the rest of his players to follow Trenton Hassell's lead in focusing on defense.

"Trenton is a very good defender, but we're going to need everybody else to defend as a team,'' he said. "It's a matter of the others having the desire and putting forth the effort. All of them are capable of being good defenders.''
"They're fast, they're quick, they're long enough to keep up with their opponents,'' Cartwright said.
The players seem receptive to his criticism/motivation:

Offensive-oriented players such as Williams, Robinson and Rose are eager to show Cartwright they can step it up on the other end.

"That's a part of my game that a lot of people tend to overlook because they pay more attention to my offense,'' Williams said.

"But as the point man, I've got to help set the tone, apply pressure on the ball, get strips [off the blind side] and initiate the breaks."
If this is the main focus of training camp and practices, I don't see any reason why the Bulls can't become a respectable defensive team this year. They've got the physical abilities -- it just comes down to the effort and dedication...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The Bulls are truly capable of becoming an elite defensive team within the next couple of years. Cartwright is correct in saying that everybody has the capability of becoming a very good defender.

I think most of us are convinced that at least Chandler and Hassell are premier defenders in this league with a little more experience. As for the others, I think there is a lot of hope.

JWill is correct in saying that his defense is often overlooked. He was a great pickpocket at Duke (averaging well over 2 spg each year), he works hard and demonstrates intensity. Jalen is such a standout player, I find it hard to believe he cannot be an excellent defender. He may indeed be a little lazy on defense, but I'm sure the skill is there. I think Cartwright may be just the guy to motivate Jalen to live up to his defensive potential. Eddie Robinson is another guy whose athleticism and length could make him a great defender. Let's hope Cartwright can talk some sense to him as well. Finally, Eddy Curry can certainly be a very good defender - similar to the defensive presence Shaq is. His size alone makes him tough, plus he definitely can block some shots. He just needs better schooling right now (especially in terms of playing help D) but again Cartwright is just the guy for the job as one of the better big man defenders in recent history.

So if we can get these guys to focus on defense, I think this squad will really be tough to play in about 2 seasons.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In my opinion, we can potentially have one of the greatest defensive teams in the east. If you look at the physical gifts of Tyson, Curry, Marshall, Williams, Crawford, Hassel, E-rob and Rose, you can see the potential. It is just a matter of putting forth a conserted effort to learn and play better defense. These guys have to have the desire to play non-stop defense for 48 minutes, and to close the driving lanes. Bill Carwright is just the man to change the team's mentality. We are there physically, but not mentally.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Put the phasers on full and call out the army; I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but...

...at this point I could care less about defense.

I think Cartwright is doing the right thing by setting a tone, and yes, the fundamentals should be taught and learned and practiced.

But lets turn 'em from a bunch of guys with individual skills into a team that can execute. Lets see them learn to take advantage of mismatches, penetrate and dish, and protect the ball.

It'll do nothing for the ego if they hold every team out there to 85 points, but can't get to 75 themselves.

The defense will come. They'll have an epiphany one night after losing a tough game and turn into defenders. They're too athletically gifted not to get there.

But give em some juice to get the ball in the hole with first.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Isle</b>!
Put the phasers on full and call out the army; I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but...

...at this point I could care less about defense.

I think Cartwright is doing the right thing by setting a tone, and yes, the fundamentals should be taught and learned and practiced.

But lets turn 'em from a bunch of guys with individual skills into a team that can execute. Lets see them learn to take advantage of mismatches, penetrate and dish, and protect the ball.

It'll do nothing for the ego if they hold every team out there to 85 points, but can't get to 75 themselves.

The defense will come. They'll have an epiphany one night after losing a tough game and turn into defenders. They're too athletically gifted not to get there.

But give em some juice to get the ball in the hole with first.
Defense wins ballgame not offense. At this point, this team has more than enough offense. I don't know where you get that I couldn't care less about defense unless you're Mark Cuban, but look at the Mavs. All that talent and second round exit. Damn, defense sure isn't important. This team would have made the playoff last year if they can held teams under 83 points...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nater</b>!
Great quote from Lacy Banks' column in today's Sun-Times regarding "a lack of aggression on defense in the team's second practice."

Coach wants the rest of his players to follow Trenton Hassell's lead in focusing on defense.

The players seem receptive to his criticism/motivation:

If this is the main focus of training camp and practices, I don't see any reason why the Bulls can't become a respectable defensive team this year. They've got the physical abilities -- it just comes down to the effort and dedication...
I agree. If Cartwright can instill some defense in these kids we might be very competitive. I also liked JW's comments. This is another reason I have never been sold on Jamal Crawford as a PG either. He is not an on ball defender.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I think this is one place where the Bulls using the Triangle on offense hurts them on defense. Not directly, but indirectly through the fact that for a young team like the Bulls learning the Triangle takes a lot of effort and time.

Well, the Bulls only have a limited amount of time practicing and watching film and because of the Triangle, they need to spend more time that other teams working on offense.

Thus, they have less time to spend working on defensive rotations, help defense, defensive fundamentals, and the like. I think that is one reason why we struggled this summer. We probably spent a lot of time in practice on the Triangle, leaving no time to practice how to defend the pick-and-roll or any other simple offensive play.

This is not a good enough reason to abandon the Triangle, but it is a reason why our team's development may be very slow and why we may struggle a lot out of the gate this year, both on offense and defense.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Tri_N</b>!

Defense wins ballgame not offense. At this point, this team has more than enough offense. I don't know where you get that I couldn't care less about defense unless you're Mark Cuban, but look at the Mavs. All that talent and second round exit. Damn, defense sure isn't important. This team would have made the playoff last year if they can held teams under 83 points...
More than enough???

Coming from where???

I didn't say defense wasn' t important---I said learn to execute first. You draft players high because they CAN score, not because they're stellar defenders.

Give 'em a chance to do that first.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Isle</b>!

I didn't say defense wasn' t important---I said learn to execute first. You draft players high because they CAN score, not because they're stellar defenders.

Give 'em a chance to do that first.
They did that after the Rose trade scoring well over 100 pts and getting their brains beaten in. If they can continue to score 100 pts then shutting the opposing team down becomes the way to win games, instead of continuing to lose games.

The example of Dallas is valid. If you can shut down a good offensive team with your defense you are going to win championships. Krause has said we are trying to win championships. Teaching defense is correct. And I vividly remember Sam Smith's comment that this team might give up 200 pts/game. Cartwright knows how to win games and that it takes defense. I applaud Cartwright for pinpointing where this team HAS to get better.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
If the Bulls are going to be a decent defensive team this year, Corrie Blound or Bagaric must show that they can play some effective minutes. Curry is young and will get called for a lot of fouls until he earns some respect from the officials. If Blount and Bagaric can not be relied on for effective minutes, Curry can not afford to be aggressive on the defensive end.

????????? Having to depend on Blount and Bagaric makes me a little leary. I really hope both have worked thier buts off during the off season and have completely dedicated themselves to Cartwright's defensive ideas.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
i've always thought the bulls players have great potential on defense but being that there is such turnover add to that their inexperience its easy to understand why they were so bad defensively last year

but this is a new season and basically everyone who was there at the end of last season is back So coach cartwright should kick butt until he gets the improvement he desires and if he has to , to prove a point he should put out only the players who are trying up to his standards chances are the bulls aren't going to the playoffs and if they skimp on the effort on d any chance of making the playoffs goes away anyway

and if they keep annoying him he should put out a line-up of blount, hassell , hoilberg,baxter, and overton(or brunson) til the players get the point

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Cartwright is showing he has more than just potential as a coach. Defense pretty much wins in any sport (except golf).

I would not abandon the triangle, unless Cartwright has his own idea for something else. He's da man. If the team can't handle the triangle early on, it will surely be able to take advantage of players like Rose and Williams (and maybe Marshall) who can get the ball with 2-4 seconds on the shot clock and get off a credable shot.

Defense is the perfect thing to focus on, as it will keep the team in games, make for fast break opportunities, and give the players the time they need to effectively play the triangle.

Go Cartwright!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts