Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coack K's in-game management is horrendous. I believe Duke lost to MSU last year, in almost identical fashion - Redick was defended well, but they kept trying the same screens for him over and over again. Duke looked downright ugly on offense. It was obvious that LSU's big men were blocking everything down low, so Redick then starts forcing wild layups down low? Coach K made no adjustments whatsoever.

And I agree with HKF in the other thread about depth. Wouldn't it make sense to have developed Pocius in the regular season so he would be ready for a game like this one? Playing Pocius/Boykin/etc. may have cost Duke a few games in the regular season, but that is what you do: develop your team to be the best in March, not December. His team was absolutely begging for another offensive threat tonight, and Pocius, who as a freshman is their best one-on-one player, was riding the bench.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in recent years Duke has had several #1 seeded teams that have gone out early. Because of Coach K's unwillingness to develop depth, his teams peak in December/January while the rest of the country improves throughout and catches up.

It just seems like the media is in a Brett Favre-like love affair with Coach K, when in fact there are plenty of coaches I would take over him if I had to win one game. I found it interesting that Coach K on the CBS interview said "We really never adjusted to LSU's play" - who takes the blame for that?

And yes, my bitterness is due to Duke having just killed my bracket...

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
It just doesn't make sense, because it's not like the guys on Duke's bench aren't good players. The kids are consensus top 50-100 players for the most part. They just have no confidence cause they never play.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
iverson101 said:
It all started after 1995. Those late 80's and early 90's teams were deep and balanced.
Nah, it started after 99. That team played 9 deep and fast breaked the hell out of everyone. It started when Brand/Avery/Maggette went pro, and Coach K actually did not have a bench. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like he's readjusted now that he does have players on the bench.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,581 Posts
Yes, nothing additional needs to be said. Guy needs to change his ways.

What I don't understand is what those three dudes in the black suits are doing there beside him. It would seem to me that as assistant coaches, they would be..... um..... assisting. After all, those are the guys who work hands on (see below) with the players. They've got to know that its hurting these guys sitting them on the bench for 30+ straight games.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.