Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know in the inner circles of umass fans there are rumblings. As we seem to be at the precipice of another tumble that Umass seems to corner the market on (i say that as a umass fan who sees them constantly get close, then falter) i'm curious as to what you guys think. is 6 years too long watch a team plateau? this artcile does a good job of summing up many Umasser's (i know not all) opinions on the matter. what do y'all think?

http://turtleboysports.com/2014/02/...on-20th-anniversary-of-calipari-chaney-fight/

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I don't know enough to give an informed answer, but I just wanted to note that the poll question is absolutely hilarious:

If UMass does not make the NCAA tournament should Derek Kellogg lose his job?

Yes, a 16-1 collapse is unacceptable

No, he's a nice guy and he went to UMass

Reactions: Moliva

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my opionion, yes he is in the hot seat. Is the seat so hot that he should be fired, i'm on the fence.

On one hand the program is in better standing that it has been than his first 5 years, on the other hand, this team is good enough to make a run in the NCAA.

He really doesn't seem to be able to get his players up for games. At the beginning of the year they had the new-season energy. they had waited all off-season to try again after a pathetic showing in the NIT (again, coach couldn't get them up after missing out on the NCAA). Recently the only time umass plays with any urgency is when they are down by 10 in the second half.

The talent is there, it's the coaches job to keep them focused and living up to that potential. in the past few games i'm not confident he's done that. and at this point we've seen it for a couple years now.

*slaps floor?*

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Isn't that the site run by UMass' version of Explorer Steve? Grain of salt.

To answer the question, no. He doesn't get fired. If the team falls apart after Chaz leaves, discuss. Until then, no.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Please fellow a-10 fans don't allow this guy to pretend to know what's going on with UMass hoops, he gets chased off our message board every time he posts there.

On par with z-8

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i don't know who explorer steve is, just found this board a few months ago. My circle is all umass people and can be pretty pessimistic. i wanted to get a feel for what other people thought of kellogg and this was the only article i could find that was recent.

i happen to have gone to school with e-parade, if that counts for anything.......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Isn't that the site run by UMass' version of Explorer Steve? Grain of salt.
Suppose I should have clarified....
I run with a very pessimistic crowd, based on what i'm seeing i would say they're a bunch of explorersteves. It can get pretty insulated in the discussion/opinions with people barking the same stuff back and forth. In an effort to see what a broader audience thinks i figured i'd throw something up here. As far as that site goes, never been before and don't know if i'll go back (seems to be alot of the same stuff i hear everyday). I could care less if it gets any traffic, but as it seems to be in line with what i heard i thought it was relevant to the talking point.

I agree with alot of what i'm seeing, i do not think Kellog is on the hot seat yet. The program is right about where it was when travis left imo, we'll have to see where it goes from here to begin the coaching change discussion (a lot of people wanted to see travis stay, not sure why it would be different with a different coach in a similar position).

Not trying to spout pessimism, only trying to spur discussion.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
a collapse of not making the tourney depite starting 16-1 with 10 top 100 wins should be enough to get someone fired, but it won't because kellogg is a nice guy and went to school at umass and he would never leave for a higher profile job like travis ford did. there is a SUBSTANTIAL portion of fans who want to keep him for those reasons. mostly kellogg's family and ford's jilted former lovers in the area who now root for who ever is playing oklahoma state.

there's even a portion of fans crazy enough to think that chaz quit on the team last night when he left for his injury, that's how ****ing protective some of these nut jobs are towards kellogg. sure he's been great lately but is that because he got lucky that pecora left hoftsra and a vertically challenged but extremely talented point guard fell into his lap or is it something he's actually done with purpose?

PS: Trey Davis (UMass) is the truth, he's going to be all a10 when things are said and done in his career.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yes, please fire Kellogg. We'll hire him. How much does he get paid?
My bad got it to work.

He's guaranteed to make at least $665,000 and could reach over $800,000 if UMass is successful on the court, at the ticket window and in the classroom. The new deal, which replaces the final two seasons of the initial contract he signed in 2008, runs through April 22, 2017.

* $75,000 for making NCAA Tournament
* $25,000 for a final ranking of 60 or better in the Ratings Percentage Index (which compares all Division I teams based on on-court success and schedule strength)
* $25,000 for strength of schedule ranked in top 75
* $25,000 for 20 Division I wins
* $20,000 if home attendance averages over 5,500 fans per game.
* 20,000 for reaching the NIT
* $20,000 top four conference finish
* $20,000 for team academic progress rate score of over 940
* $20,000 for a graduation retention rate of 80 percent of higher
http://www.gazettenet.com/blogs/umasssports/2403931-95/kellogg-contract-20000-basketball

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.