Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the basketball season coming to an end soon, and teams entering the final stretch of their conference schedule, it may be a good time to look at what coaches deserve to be the Coach of the Year in the Horizon League, for the men and women's teams. For each of the two, I've listed the top three candidates and why they will be considered for it this season. As always, this is just an opinion, and I don't know how things will turn out. There's still time for things to change.

Women's basketball Coach of the Year candidates:

3. Kevin Borseth, Wisconsin-Green Bay

Losing four starting seniors is tough for any coach. Losing your two returning seniors to injuries as well is even tougher. Despite all that, UWGB is leading the conference at this point and is positioned to take a sixth straight regular season title. He would be my top candidate for this if this was new for the team.

2. Mickey Barrett, Detroit

After a seventh-place finish and a trip to the Horizon League championship game, this team has proven its championship caliber with a run towards the top. Detroit may have the ability to upset its way into the tournament.

1. Kate Peterson, Cleveland State

This team has just taken off this season. After a sixth-place season, the team has come back to dominate the Horizon League and provide a new challenge for the teams to face.

Men's basketball Coach of the Year candidates:

3. Bruce Pearl, Wisconsin-Milwaukee

In what was supposed to be a rebuilding year, the Panthers have changed it into a year in which they could return to the tournament even through an at-large bid. The addition of junior college players to the already tough UWM lineup has made UWM the best in the league. However, that hasn't been uncommon for the Panthers lately, and I don't think simply repeating is worth the title.

2. Paul Biancardi, Wright State

Though the season started off slow, Wright State has become a powerhouse in the Horizon League. Using the skill of the returning seniors and new freshmen, Biancardi has revitalized a struggling Wright State team. He would be the top candidate after a strong year of rebuilding, but there's someone that's done an even better job.

1. Tod Kowalczyk, Wisconsin-Green Bay

Wright State and UWM both had some of the best returning players in the league to help them out (Page - UWM, Doliboa & Hollins, WSU). UWGB had very little to start this season out. They were predicted to finish 7th in the official HL poll and as low as 9th in others. Between last season's all-conference teams and this season's preseason teams, not one UWGB player was named on any of them, despite at least one player from every other team at least getting one spot. No one outside the team saw any potential or possibility in this season's team, and immediately put them in another rebuilding year. They rebuilt pretty fast.

They have gone from one of the lowest teams in the league to one of the best over the course of the season. Those new players brought new life into the dying program, and it is now rushing forward in the league. This team can now win on the road, beat the toughest opponents, and hang on in the closest games. Though the SOS and RPI don't say too much about this team's improvement, they have made the greatest jumps with the least experience. There isn't a better performance anywhere else in this league.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Coach B wins it

Although I think BP and TK did a great job at UWM and UWGB, I think the biggest surprise is by Coach B at WSU, so I gotta go with him.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Either PB from WSU or TK from UWGB. Boy that is tough, just flip a coin.

Women's coach........how the heck would I know? I'll take Mickey Barrett because he was always supper nice as an assistant coach of the men's team.

If you are following HL woman's b-ball you have entirely too much time on your hands.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't follow all of it, I just know how the standings have changed and how well the UWGB women's team is doing. I don't know anything about the other women's teams/

·
Registered
93 Posts
OK GBFANJ.....I believe you, you don't follow woman's b-ball! How about soccer, you don't follow that either right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
CB,
Keep those kind of comments up and people will mistake you for Jim Rome, and WONE will have you on the air before Kerrigan & Collins in "Out of Bounds.

And as for Coach of the Year, All three of the guys named are worthy candidates so I am going with the coach who's team wins the Horizon tourney as my vote. If we vote before the tourney, I would take Pearl slightly over Biancardi. But, Biancardi will be my preseason favorite for next year, and the next year, and the next...well you get my point (then again I might be a little biased).

TK gets the award of "Most improved from last year to this year" and Biancardi get the "Most improved during the year" award, and coach of the all-newcomer team.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts