Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/1191354924648607745?s=21

My new favorite website MMM has a database on the salaries of Midmajor coaches. Pretty interesting.

Looks like Becker is 4th in the league behind Odom, Brown, and Ford. While I understand that UVM doesn’t have the finances that the SUNYs do, he should probably be the highest paid coach in the league. He’s far and away the winningest coach in the league, no one is ever close. Odom does have his big win so I can see why he got paid.

Also, why does Brown have an additional Nike contract? Is that common?

·
5,632 Posts
I can imagine the cost of living in Burlington vs. Albany, Bingtamton, or Long Island would balance Becker's number out.

Also, Odom's bonus if they compete in an AE final in an away arena is interesting.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Becker’s bonus comp structure can be much more lucrative than SUNY structures. I think his total comp is generally a tad higher than Will Brown’s (excluding the external Nike contract...and I have no idea what that is).

Poor Bill Herrion! Well, at least he doesn’t have to worry about losing his job at that salary...he and Barron at Maine are making about the same money as Kyle Cieplecki.

Odom’s salary isn’t really a shock given the leverage he had when his contract was up last year—plus that win was worth tens of millions $$ to UMBC so they had the capacity to reward him.

I’d be curious to know what Gallagher is making. My guess is it’d be closer to Barron and Herrion but UHart being a private school they don’t need to be as transparent (unless he makes it on their 990).

On a similar note, it looks like Kevin Sneddon took about a $60,000 pay cut this year and is now making less than Becker (as he should).

·
Registered
398 Posts
I can imagine the cost of living in Burlington vs. Albany, Bingtamton, or Long Island would balance Becker's number out.

Also, Odom's bonus if they compete in an AE final in an away arena is interesting.
The cost of living in Burlington is most certainly noticeably higher than Binghamton or Albany. I can see UMBC’s and maybe Umass Lowell’s salary structures being higher for higher housing costing there though.

·
Registered
723 Posts
On a similar note, it looks like Kevin Sneddon took about a $60,000 pay cut this year and is now making less than Becker (as he should).
Becker is actually making out pretty well compared to many other mid-major coaches, including the A-10.

Your into about Sneddon vs Becker is wrong. Becker has been making more than Sneddon since the 2016-17 season, and Sneddon did not get a $60K pay cut this year,

Here are their base salaries since 2015-16. The data through 2018-19 is from the UVM website with salaries for all employees. The 2019-20 database is not updated; Becker’s salary is from the Twitter report previously referenced, and Sneddon from an article by Ted Ryan in the BFP earlier this year.
Becker. Sneddon
2015-16. $225K. $242K
2016-17. 275. 246
2017-18. 300. 275
2018-19. 309. 283
2019-20. 318. 289

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
The cost of living in Burlington is most certainly noticeably higher than Binghamton or Albany. I can see UMBC’s and maybe Umass Lowell’s salary structures being higher for higher housing costing there though.
Albany and Burlington are almost exactly the same cost of living according to https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/

You can't compare the City of Albany as it includes the bad areas for property values. If you change the search to be Niskayuna, Clifton Park, Glenmont, Saratoga, etc. to Burlington you will find some areas have a higher cost, some have a lower cost.

People that make real money will live in the suburbs not in the City.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Becker is actually making out pretty well compared to many other mid-major coaches, including the A-10.

Your into about Sneddon vs Becker is wrong. Becker has been making more than Sneddon since the 2016-17 season, and Sneddon did not get a $60K pay cut this year,

Here are their base salaries since 2015-16. The data through 2018-19 is from the UVM website with salaries for all employees. The 2019-20 database is not updated; Becker’s salary is from the Twitter report previously referenced, and Sneddon from an article by Ted Ryan in the BFP earlier this year.
Becker. Sneddon
2015-16. $225K. $242K
2016-17. 275. 246
2017-18. 300. 275
2018-19. 309. 283
2019-20. 318. 289
And the new hockey coach next year will still make less than Becker. Hopefully. Said it a million times but the endowment has helped a ton for basketball since it can pay for other resources so the head coach's salary can be competitive.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Brown makes 384 in guaranteed compensation. This article is wrong. For the record, getting a car allowance, etc. is considered compensation and is taxable.

Additionally, he has no incentives because in the last round of negotiations, he chose to compensate his staff instead of himself. In lieu of bonuses, each staff member will get an extra month salary if Albany makes the tourney. Most coaches have contracts with clothing lines. Will likely may get a bump because of our new deal with UA; we are not a Nike school any longer.

He is in the top 100 highest paid coaches in the game, which is pretty remarkable.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i would think $300k at Morgan is alot.

Demspey should be paid $15k per win and academic achievements only

Geno ford only making $1,000 for a win against a top 25 team seems very random. i feel like that should either be $0 or $10k

And odom makes a total of $475 including the bonus? all in he makes roughly 600k. he should never levave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts