Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UNC Wilmington fired CB McGrath today. They were 5-14 with only 1 (!) win against a D1 team. Also his best player bailed to go play pro ball in Japan. Only lasted 2.5 seasons. UNCW went right in the gutter again when Keatts left for NC State.

Also, Central Arkansas is open too as they put their coach on leave then got rid of him a week or two later. There's still that situation with Walter McCarty being on leave at Evansville too. Similarly North Carolina A&T's coach (Jay Joyner) is "suspended indefinitely." Would be a safe bet those jobs open too as the legal department at each institution looks for a way out.

Way too early to speculate on what other jobs may open, but Fordham, Wake Forest, and of course the big one, Central Connecticut State are safe bets.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I’m wondering if that young Nicholls (Lousiana) coach Austin Claunch will move into one of those openings in the Southeast. He seems to be a pretty impressive coach (and ambitious) at a school with 1/5 the monetary resources as any AE school has for athletics. I’d bet we see his name pop up in thpoi’s conversation over the next few years.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Way too early to speculate on what other jobs may open, but Fordham, Wake Forest, and of course the big one, Central Connecticut State are safe bets.
Manning's deal at Wake is fully guaranteed through 2025. The buyout after this season would be in excess of $18M. His firing is far from a sure thing.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With John Beilein likely done with the Cavs because he lost the locker room with his stupid comments...every power conference AD with a basketball coach whose job is on the line is now getting antsy. If you're BC you immediately try and figure out if you could land Beilein if he wants to get right back in the game. Hell, if I'm BC I give him what he wants, have him bring that assistant of his who will probably be out of a job at Texas this season and possibly do a coach in waiting deal, and I'd even let him put his idiot son on staff. ESPN has an article that agrees on the BC part (and Texas as a possibility too): What are the possible destinations for John Beilein in college basketball?

That or he could go to Binghamton...it's close to home!

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I have been told that McCarty is done and that the team has been told but that they won't make it official until the end of the season. However, I haven't been able to confirm that with someone I know within the school so take it for what it's worth. All things are certainly pointing in the direction of him being let go.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been told that McCarty is done and that the team has been told but that they won't make it official until the end of the season. However, I haven't been able to confirm that with someone I know within the school so take it for what it's worth. All things are certainly pointing in the direction of him being let go.
Yeah, they already hired former Butler/Iowa coach Todd Lickliter to a multi-year deal: Former Iowa Basketball Coach Todd Lickliter Hired at Evansville

Evansville is winless in the MVC by the way and they were getting top 25 votes in November.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The probable opening that worries me, as a UVM fan, is George Mason.
I have a feeling if George Mason opens they're not going to go back to the well of someone who is quite similar to what Paulsen was. He and Becker's profiles are too similar. Not saying it couldn't, I'm just not sure I see it.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just based on jobs that might open based on record and without considering dominoes these are ones I think Becker would be more than just a name thrown out there in no order:

Davidson - They won't fire McKillop, but he might retire. Maybe this year, but probably not. Becker fits their profile if they don't stay in house.

UMass - So, probably not because that team is very young and has a superstar in Tre Mitchell, but McCall I ultimately think is out of place there even in year 3. Their AD has cut bait on things before and this time around I think if he had the funds to do so, he'd go after Becker harder because if they let him build how his UVM teams organized that would probably lead to better results for them. Who knows, that job is a shit job now anyway.

Boston College - Only if they fail on getting options 1-2-3 would they reach the point that Becker would be considered...but it's BC so that actually could happen.

Minnesota - Little Pitino is in trouble...I don't see Becker being the first choice but Minnesota has no sustained tradition and maybe with what Pikiell has done they consider someone with that profile (successful lower level coach with a system...Pikiell is more program builder from nothing than Becker, but I think Minnesota has more to work with than Rutgers). It's not an easy task. Probably not though and they'll try and find basketball PJ Fleck and fail.

Northwestern - Doubt this happens, but maybe. It's all gone downhill since Collins got them to their first NCAAs and back to their default position. It's a crap job but Becker's profile would be someone they might consider.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
IMO this off season is probably the most dangerous in a while to keep Becker. If it's gonna happen it will probably happen this off season unless he doesn't win the tourney.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
There are a lot worse things than being the most successful coach in your conference's history, living where your kids are growing up, earning way more money than most everybody locally and other features of Becker's life at UVM. He doesn't seem at all superficial so I doubt the extra bucks would make him any happier.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are a lot worse things than being the most successful coach in your conference's history, living where your kids are growing up, earning way more money than most everybody locally and other features of Becker's life at UVM. He doesn't seem at all superficial so I doubt the extra bucks would make him any happier.
I think this guy named Jim Calhoun would have something to say about being the most successful coach in conference history.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Becker has a job for life.
And he's a smart, careful guy.
Does he really want to go to a bad program with no experience recruiting 4 star kids with the probability of 3-5 years and out, with an abysmal win/loss record?
He's a proven coach at a certain level. And he's in his early 50s.
George Mason -ish level might make some sense.
Minnesota?
Bad idea.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Does he really want to go to a bad program with no experience recruiting 4 star kids with the probability of 3-5 years and out, with an abysmal win/loss record?
Minnesota?
Bad idea.
I agree with you. But...

Minnesota (or a comparable program) is life-changing money, and maybe a once-in-a-career opportunity to play with the high rollers. I'd never tell a guy how to live his life, but if you coach Vermont...and someone offers you the Big 10...you take it and never look back. Even if it ends up being a completely professional failure.

Becker has a job for life at UVM. After a four-year deal at a Big 10 job, Becker wouldn't need a job for life.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Minnesota?
Bad idea.
I agree, but to add on to GoCatsGo's points...he's positioned himself where he's going to be in the conversations for these jobs because of what he's done at UVM, including the jump to a Big 10 school. If the Wofford coach can go right to Viriginia Tech at 56 years old with 5 NCAA appearances and a single win while only ever having coaching stops at low major and non-D1 schools...Becker could be on the radar for the Minnesotas of the world too, especially if UVM takes care of business this year and earns the auto bid. I'm of the mind he's at UVM until a job like the ones I listed or a true power 5 comes around. If you read The Athletic article, he likes it here and knows he has a very good thing but you could sense he might seek out a new challenge. Now, that could be at UVM in terms of pushing the team to the next step which is more consistent dominance in terms of NCAA appearances and getting a tourney win, or it could be going elsewhere and having to build something, which he's never done in his career.

The reality is for the Minnesotas of the world they just go in cycles. Clem Haskins somehow gets them to a final four (Bobby Jackson era and a lot of cheating so he's fired 2 years later), hire the hot up and coming coach (Dan Monson from Gonzaga who was only the head coach there for 2 years) who flopped, bring in a successful retread (Tubby Smith) who did decent there but he never really stays at jobs for long/probably didn't really want to be there, then the kid of a successful coach with little to show head coaching wise, won the NIT with Smith's players, and has yo-yoed and barely gotten in the tourney twice. So outside of someone like Thad Matta, the Shaka Smart rebound project or throwing a boatload of cash at a sitting power conference head coach to move, Minnesota will have to shortlist the Beckers of the world because there are only so many qualified people to go around...and it will just continue their cycle to the next chapter by hiring a very successful mid major coach and hope it works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts