Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1021 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it has begun.

First, Sacramento State's Brian Katz decided to retire right before the season: MEN’S BASKETBALL HEAD COACH BRIAN KATZ ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

Last night, Seattle fired Jim Hayford after he used a racial slur during a scrimmage: Statement by Seattle University Director of Athletics Shaney Fink on the Resignation of Coach Jim Hayford - Seattle University

Also, technically Cal State Northridge is open as well since Mark Gottfried is on leave, and Trent Johnson is coaching them in the interim.

Openings:
Cal State Northridge
Sacramento State
Seattle

My first bad guess at the hot seat/potential openings (based on hunches about the respective programs that may not be based in anything):

Multi-Bids:
South Florida
Temple
SMU
Pittsburgh
Kansas State
Washington
Vanderbilt
Georgia
UMass
La Salle

One-Bids:
Binghamton
Charleston-Southern
Long Beach State
Middle Tennessee
Quinnipiac
UL Monroe
Illinois State
Valparaiso

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting tidbit of information. Just came across that former SMC Head Coach and UML Director of Operations Tom O'shea is an Assistant Coach at D2 Mercyhurst in Erie, PA. I know he is friends with the Mercyhurst Head coach but interesting move to be such a long distance from family. Mercyhurst is slated to be one of the top teams in D2.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting tidbit of information. Just came across that former SMC Head Coach and UML Director of Operations Tom O'shea is an Assistant Coach at D2 Mercyhurst in Erie, PA. I know he is friends with the Mercyhurst Head coach but interesting move to be such a long distance from family. Mercyhurst is slated to be one of the top teams in D2.
I think he actually replaced his own son, Joe, who is now an assistant at St. Anselm's who was at Mercyhurst before. And yes, Mercyhurst's head coach is from Burlington, and played at UVM in the 1980s. The elder O'Shea and he were teammates.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You are correct. He did replace his son. I guess maybe he wants to be a head coach again and this will allow him to recruit and get his face back out there instead of being a DOBO and restricted to campus. This might be a short term fill in position to help out a friend for the season.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for the topic at hand...I watched some of it last night, but is Mike Brey's seat getting warmer at Notre Dame? They have been trending down for a little bit. I tend to think ND is going to give him another year or so and possibly let him step down with dignity, but we're far away from those Elite 8 teams just 5 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
6,909 Posts
As for the topic at hand...I watched some of it last night, but is Mike Brey's seat getting warmer at Notre Dame? They have been trending down for a little bit. I tend to think ND is going to give him another year or so and possibly let him step down with dignity, but we're far away from those Elite 8 teams just 5 years ago.
They can buy him out with all that Brian Kelly money they’re saving.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Not only has it been 5 (going on 6) years since that last Elite 8 appearance, they could be looking down the barrel of a 5th-straight year outside the NCAA Tournament (and I'm not giving them a Covid pass, they weren't going to make it in 2020 without winning the ACC Tourney). That's their roughest stretch since right before he arrived. He has 3 years left on his deal after this one, but the right sized check, plus maybe a no-show job in the UND athletic department as a "fundraising ambassador" could probably facilitate a respectful, diplomatic exit.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I've always liked Mike Brey. He did well at Delaware and had a great career at Notre Dame as well. I did not realize that he is in his 22nd year in South Bend. Wow.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not only has it been 5 (going on 6) years since that last Elite 8 appearance, they could be looking down the barrel of a 5th-straight year outside the NCAA Tournament (and I'm not giving them a Covid pass, they weren't going to make it in 2020 without winning the ACC Tourney). That's their roughest stretch since right before he arrived. He has 3 years left on his deal after this one, but the right sized check, plus maybe a no-show job in the UND athletic department as a "fundraising ambassador" could probably facilitate a respectful, diplomatic exit.
I think you're right on the graceful transition...but I think he probably needs at least 9-10 ACC wins this year to be totally safe. Chances are though he makes it at least another 2 years counting this one. Looking a little more into it, I'm wondering if when Brey lost a couple of assistants and hired guys who played for him without much experience did him in. Martin Ingelsby is at Delaware now (they might be pretty good this year), and while he came back this offseason, Anthony Solomon was gone from 2016-21. Ingelsby left in 2016 too, which coincides with the downward fall. Sometimes it's a good reminder that you often can only be as good as the people you surround yourself with.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Reactions: charliemike

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
As well as pretty much every other book on leadership, coaching, etc.
You are right...I was more referencing Skinner's last days at BC, and how the decline in that program seemed to be directly proportional to staff turnover. Eagles come off a Sweet 16 in 2006, both Ed Cooley and Bill Coen leave for head coaching jobs, they're replaced by two guys who I can't remember...4 unremarkable years later, Skinner's out the door, and BC hasn't been back to the tournament since.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
You are right...I was more referencing Skinner's last days at BC, and how the decline in that program seemed to be directly proportional to staff turnover. Eagles come off a Sweet 16 in 2006, both Ed Cooley and Bill Coen leave for head coaching jobs, they're replaced by two guys who I can't remember...4 unremarkable years later, Skinner's out the door, and BC hasn't been back to the tournament since.
Ah, I gotcha. And yes, that is very true. BC basketball has been nearly invisible for at least a decade if not longer.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Pat Duquette I think was the only leftover assistant after that? Per the Wiki, it looks like he replaced the others with Mo Cassara, who ended up having a very bad 3-year stint as the head coach at Hofstra from 2010-13. The other was Bonzie Colson Sr...which did not help BC get Bonzie Colson Jr. (BC was on Jim Christian by then anyhow) who of course went to Notre Dame along with a lot of other New Englanders to make up the core of those very good teams 5-6 years ago (Pat Connaughton, Zach Auguste).

As for BC, while I don't fault Jerome Robinson leaving (he was a first-round pick after all, even if he was a huge bust)...if he'd stayed for the 2018-19 season, I think BC might have had a chance at an NCAA bid. He and Ky Bowman were good plus there were some solid parts they could have gone like 9-9 and maybe backed in as a 10-11 seed. That's about the best BC can ever hope for in the future it seems.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Wow. December 3rd??!! 5-3 on the year. And to have Danny Manning take over as interim? The Danny Manning that has a 116-140 record as a head coach at Tulsa & Wake Forest?

I get that his seat was probably getting warm but this is a very odd time of the year for a coaching change. There has to be more to this story right?

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Seems the little bit I have seen, the fan base is kinda happy about this. Despite the wins and NCAA Tourneys, the fact they haven't advanced beyond the Sweet 16 is just not good I guess. The loss of the NCAA's in 2020 killed Maryland as they were the Big Ten champs and would have undoubtedly been a Top 4 seed. Sure, nothing is guaranteed, but that took away one of his best chances of making a deep run in the tourney.

Manning is clearly not a better alternative. This is crazy.

1 - 20 of 1021 Posts