Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
961 - 980 of 1021 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Apparently he's getting a pay bump...but I really have to wonder if there's something going on at Wagner (thinking along the lines of budget issues) to move to a place like St. Peter's...which also has budget issues and isn't going to see some big windfall. Though, Mason has done well recruiting the same region, just can't get over the hump at Wagner, maybe he figures take this job, use it to get some juice in the portal, get lucky and beat or hope Iona doesn't stand in his way, get an NCAA bid, then take off for another gig after 2-3 seasons? I thought he would have been a very good fit at Stony Brook once they move on from Geno in a year or two. Maybe his goal is to jump from Staten Island to Jersey City to Long Island? Who knows. I guess in fairness he had a team full of super seniors who made up basically their entire rotation, so maybe he figures leave before he takes a dip in the W-L record too?

But, hey good on St. Peter's for luring away a sitting head coach...how much is he going to capitalize or not, TBD.
Mason is from Jersey City. I know Staten Island is only a short drive away, but it is home. Also, while no one is going to confuse Saint Peter's with great resources, I'd have to imagine that after this year's run, there was more (Booster?) money available than there was 4 years ago when the job was last open.

But yeah, this is a pretty terrible look for Wagner and the NEC as a whole.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Just 5 years ago John Dunne left the Jersey City campus for a job at MAAC "rival" Marist, opening the door for Holloway.

Last year Mason was made more $$$ at Wagner with better campus/facilities than Sha (had to take a COVID paycut).

·
Registered
877 Posts
Bashir to St. Peter's is puzzling unless something is going on behind the scenes at Wagner.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Bashir to St. Peter's is puzzling unless something is going on behind the scenes at Wagner.
Well, he's done all he can at Wagner - no one is surprised he is leaving. Mason has led Wagner to 3 NEC regular-season championships since 2015; he is 165-130 in 10 seasons as the head coach and has won more than 62% of his conference games. He is 3x NEC COY and recorded an upset of No. 18 UConn in 2016 and an NIT win over St. Bonaventure the same season. 2x POY Alex Morales is gone and he would have to totally rebuild on Staten Island.

The concern is he is going to St. Peter's in the MAAC. Previous Wagner coaches have gone on to URI (Hurley) and even Seton Hall (PJ Carlesimo). He was making under $300k at Wagner, but that is more than what Holloway was making. Wagner is a better school academically, and has a far nice campus.

However there are a few unique circumstances. Mason is from Jersey City, so this is a homecoming of sorts, and this is likely just a temporary stop onto a bigger job. My take is he wasn't getting an A-10 job this year and he's maxxed out the experience at Wagner. He is still young (38 years old), so I think he is positioning himself to do a solid job here and hope to get a A-10 or higher job. With the URI, UMass, and LaSalle jobs going elsewhere - this was the only opening in the area and it had some hype from the NCAA run.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
By all accounts, Copeland is the players choice and is a very solid selection.

Wagner has been a great spot for coaches, so this seems like they won't miss a beat. They do have to rebuild because of graduation, but it is a place where success is likely.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #969 ·
FDU would certainly be a good Gallagher landing spot if Herenda joins Seton Hall's staff.

Also, I wish I could find where I saw it but perhaps reading into things - Antoine Davis, son of Detroit Mercy HC Mike Davis (He of former Indiana fame) is now in the portal, but I saw a tweet from one of those coaching scoop accounts saying Mike Davis wanted back in the SWAC (where he was rolling at Texas Southern)....son portaling...Alabama A&M job open....maybe he's taking it? Something to watch for potentially.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Also, I wish I could find where I saw it but perhaps reading into things - Antoine Davis, son of Detroit Mercy HC Mike Davis (He of former Indiana fame) is now in the portal, but I saw a tweet from one of those coaching scoop accounts saying Mike Davis wanted back in the SWAC (where he was rolling at Texas Southern)....son portaling...Alabama A&M job open....maybe he's taking it? Something to watch for potentially.
Davis is from Alabama, played at Alabama and coached at UAB. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he is trying to get back home to end his career.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Down-ballot AE coaching news: Jeff Rafferty is leaving NJIT. And according to HoopDirt, there could be "another move there as well."

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Because the SWAC is usually good for one "What the..." coaching search moment a year, Alabama A&M has hired...Otis Hughley, Jr.?

Wagner and SC State. And then there were two. For now.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Because the SWAC is usually good for one "What the..." coaching search moment a year, Alabama A&M has hired...Otis Hughley, Jr.?

Wagner and SC State. And then there were two. For now.
Nailed it on the for now part! Stunner tonight that Jay Wright is apparently calling it quits:

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Did I read that correctly or has my morning coffee not kicked in yet? Jay Wright retired? Whoa, didn't see that coming. Wowzers...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Did I read that correctly or has my morning coffee not kicked in yet? Jay Wright retired? Whoa, didn't see that coming. Wowzers...
Was Wright being polite in not announcing his retirement publicly until the dust had settled? Or did he wait this long to handicap Villanova into promoting an assistant? Did the players / recruits know this was coming?

961 - 980 of 1021 Posts