Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
81 - 100 of 1021 Posts

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Hot off the presses: Lafayette opens up at seasons' end. O'Hanlon is retiring.

Not shocking. He's 73 years old, he's been there a lot of seasons...and lately, not a lot of them great.
This would be a perfect landing spot for Gal.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
This would be a perfect landing spot for Gal.
My half-serious half-wingin' it guess a while back was St. Joe's...if they continue to flame out and get an itchy trigger finger with Lange (this is season 3). But you're absolutely right, Lafayette would be a very solid spot for him if he can't quite parlay last season (or what's left of this season?) into more of a next level job.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Not sure this is the thread but.....I was looking up former Maine ADs and reading Kevin White's (Duke AD) bio.....his children are scattered throughout collegiate coaching and admin ranks....his son Mike is the Florida basketball coach, his son Danny is the AD at Tennessee, his son Brian is the AD at Florida Atlantic, and his daughter Mariah is an assistant AD at SMU.....his one other daughter is an HS English teacher. Incredible.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
My half-serious half-wingin' it guess a while back was St. Joe's...if they continue to flame out and get an itchy trigger finger with Lange (this is season 3). But you're absolutely right, Lafayette would be a very solid spot for him if he can't quite parlay last season (or what's left of this season?) into more of a next level job.
The only thing with this would be that Lange and Gallagher are boys. One of the articles last year that Gal got on his NCAA press tour was talking about how he spoke with Lange a lot...Gal seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't walk in to replace his friend, but it is an A10 job. If La Salle opened, Gallagher could be on that shortlist.

However, I do think Gallagher wouldn't be successful at the A10 level. He's a good low-major coach for AE/NEC/MAAC programs. I think he'd struggle in the CAA. Lafayette could make some sense, but we'll see. He'd get at least 20 years so that's nice.

I think Gal is a guy who could, if he wanted, land at an FDU, Robert Morris, Rider, Sacred Heart (he'd take this job in a heartbeat if it opened) type gig.

The big thing he has going for him is he has a lot of coaching friends and guys in big positions like Porter Moser (again, learned this on his media tour last year)...so he could also go take a power assistant gig for a year or two before finding another role if needed.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
The next 4 months of Louisville fans clamoring for Rick to return is going to be absolutely amazing. Right now, I think there's a greater than 35% chance that it actually could happen too.
The rumblings are already out there. I guess 2 sex scandals and the whole adidas corruption scandal really don't matter anymore lol.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Well it's now a done deal, Mack is out at Louisville. Interesting to note, former Delaware star Mike Pegues (he was one helluva player) will be taking over on an interim basis like he did at the beginning of the year when Mack was serving a 6-game suspension. I had totally forgotten that he was on staff there and served in that capacity in November/December.

This is the first really big, good job that is opening up. There is an interim AD at Louisville so it will be interesting to see how this search and selection plays out.

·
Premium Member
34,223 Posts
The rumblings are already out there. I guess 2 sex scandals and the whole adidas corruption scandal really don't matter anymore lol.
Have you been to Louisville? Doesn't seem like a place that really could gaf about the things Pitino did as long as Louisville is winning.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Have you been to Louisville? Doesn't seem like a place that really could gaf about the things Pitino did as long as Louisville is winning.
I sure have. A few times actually.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I think the odds are increasing that you may see coaching changes at the two A-10 New England schools - UMass and URI.

It is a very strong probability that UMass, presently 8-10, will have a losing season and McCall may not survive given his overall track record in Amherst. McCall's only season above .500 was last year finishing at 8-7 in a Covid impacted season.

The David Cox situation at Rhode Island is also perilous. Cox is in year four of a five year contract that was signed upon his hiring. The fact that he has not received an extension should worry him. His team may be 12-6 at the moment but he played the weakest OOC schedule URI has had in many years. The fans are not impressed with low level wins and getting very restless. The fact that he just blew back to back home games where he had 15 point leads will not help (especially with one of those defeats to a woeful GW that was the worst URI loss in a decade by computer metrics). I expect as the A-10 competition gets stiffer, many more losses than wins will come. His team collapsed late last year finishing at 10-15 in a short Covid season. His best season was 2019-20 when he had his team in strong position for an NCAA at large bid before it sputtered toward the end of the regular season. Rhody finished 21-9 before both the A-10 and NCAA tournaments were cancelled due to Covid. It would have had to have made the A-10 championship game for strong NCAA consideration in 2020 and even that was no guarantee. Further hurting Cox, he has had a revolving door of players. Losing promising players that transferred to UConn and Kentucky especially set the program back. URI may end up a bit over .500 this season but that may not merit a multi year extension given some troublesome trends and no post season invites to fall back on.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Snow day Friday, so figured I'd update:

Open jobs: Maryland, Louisville, Sacramento State, Seattle, Lafayette

Grey area open: CSU Northridge

Power/Multi-Bid jobs to watch in various degrees of warm/hot seat (also considering retirements):

Tulsa (AAC), South Florida (AAC), UMass (A10), La Salle (A10), Pitt (ACC), NC State (ACC), Kansas State (Big 12), Georgetown (Big East), Butler (Big East), Nebraska (Big 10), Northwestern (Big 10), Arizona State (Pac 12), Georgia (SEC), Missouri (SEC), Vanderbilt (SEC), South Carolina (SEC)

The Rest:

North Florida (ASUN), NJIT (AE), Maine (AE), Idaho (Big Sky), Hampton (Big South), Charleston Southern (Big South), Marshall (CUSA), Southern Miss (CUSA), Robert Morris (Horizon), Canisius (MAAC), Illinois State (MVC), FDU (NEC), Sacred Heart (NEC), American (Patriot), Holy Cross (Patriot), Houston Baptist (Southland), Incarnate Word (Southland), Omaha (Summit), UL Monroe (Sun Belt),

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I read that Iona is working on a "lifetime" contract for Pitino. Not sure would be going anywhere at the end of the year

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
NJIT fired their coach or is he retiring?
I assume you are referring to my speculative list of mid-low majors that could open...I think he's a real possibility to be let go. It's year 6 and he's had 1 good season...fair or not, when you take over for a guy who did manage to win a bit more before leaving (Columbia's Jim Engles - who is not replicating that there, and may be on the hot seat himself), the AD could decide to make a move. Add in that it's a new era for them, new league, newer facilities and they might want a change.

I think a lot of AE coaches are basically working on quiet one year extensions after the Covid-shortened year. I looked it up last year and half of them had their contracts due either last year or this year, and only Dempsey and Brown were let go.

81 - 100 of 1021 Posts