Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1001 - 1020 of 1021 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,001 ·
If John Gallagher doesn't want to sit and collect his paycheck from Hartford, or has come to the realization, no the program will not be saved, FDU could be a safe landing spot where I think he'd be a solid enough coach and win some games there, and has a resume that's attractive to those hiring at FDU. He also might just have a bunch of players he trusts ready to go with him, especially if the 11 frosh listed on FDU's Verbal Commits page all decide to portal.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
From NorthJersey.com
A former Seton Hall assistant coach under George Blaney, Herenda has expressed interest in joining onetime protege Shaheen Holloway in a special assistant's role at Seton Hall. As of now, no such position exists.

If FDU decides to look for a familiar name as a replacement, one candidate could be Grant Billmeier, who was an assistant there under Herenda in 2014-15 before moving back to his alma mater Seton Hall. Billmeier served as Seton Hall's associate head coach prior to moving to Maryland with Kevin Willard earlier this month. He is well-regarded both at Fairleigh Dickinson and throughout New Jersey basketball circles.
This is an awful job ...
Like many mid- and low-majors, FDU has been beset by out-transfers in recent seasons. Financial tensions also have arisen in recent years. Herenda has taken belt-tightening measures, including letting go longtime and well-respected assistant Bruce Hamburger (now at Columbia). The program's sports information director is a student at the college — a highly unusual arrangement.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Very likely that major assistants like Billmeier (Maryland), Brandon Knight (Rutgers), Kimani Young (UConn) will all be priced out by FDU's low salary.

Coach Gal likely makes more at Hartford, but I think he will be a strong candidate.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Very likely that major assistants like Billmeier (Maryland), Brandon Knight (Rutgers), Kimani Young (UConn) will all be priced out by FDU's low salary.

Coach Gal likely makes more at Hartford, but I think he will be a strong candidate.
Faced with the prospect of paying him $250K or more to coach a team full of intramural recruits, I'm sure Hartford would be more than happy to buy Gallagher out, especially if it meant increasing the odds of him going to FDU or elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,008 ·
A lot of people throwing around Maurice Joseph as a name for FDU. He spent a year as an assistant there couple years back after getting the boot from GW (who is on their second coach since they got rid of him by the way). I think MoJo deserves a shot, and at the one-bid level, so we'll see. You can win at FDU (Herenda did manage 2 NCAA bids). But it's a job where you win and try and go to the slightly better job in a similar one-bid league if you're a younger guy. If he got it and did well, I'd hope he'd get a chance to move on (or come north to Burlington if that opportunity ever arose too).

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
From HoopDirt:

The search to replace Greg Herenda at FDU is already moving. Tough search here – a lot of guys concerned about the salary and the fact that there are only 2 paid assistants. It sounds like the early list includes; Princeton Associate Head Coach Brett MacConnell, former Princeton + Fairfield head coach Sydney Johnson, former FDU assistant Bruce Hamburger, and Fordham assistant Tray Woodall. A former D1 head coach and at least 2 A-10 assistants lurking, but sounds like this is the early group.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,010 ·

"Urgo beat out a number of qualified candidates, a list that included Vermont coach John Becker, Kentucky associate head coach Bruiser Flint, Providence assistant Ivan Thomas, Rutgers associate head coach Brandin Knight and Connecticut assistant Kimani Young."

Told you all he'd try again. And not get it again. Braziller might work for a trash publication, but he's one of the most plugged-in writers in college hoops around NYC.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I like Urgo's reaction to Kyle Neptune telling him he signed a contract with Villanova:

“What, to play in the Garden next year?” Urgo recalled. “He started laughing, and he was like, ‘no, to be their next head coach.’ I was like, ‘yeah, OK, It’s Apr. 1.'”

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,014 ·

"Speaking of FDU…it sounds like Richmond assistant Maurice Joseph was the other finalist (and reportedly passed on the job). The former head coach at George Washington (2016-19) was an assistant at FDU during the 2019-20 season. It sounds like he is still involved in the vacant assistant position at Michigan State. More on this one as I hear it. "

·
Registered
307 Posts

"Speaking of FDU…it sounds like Richmond assistant Maurice Joseph was the other finalist (and reportedly passed on the job). The former head coach at George Washington (2016-19) was an assistant at FDU during the 2019-20 season. It sounds like he is still involved in the vacant assistant position at Michigan State. More on this one as I hear it. "
I heard Joseph turned it down and if he's in position to get a spot at Michigan State, there's no chance FDU could match financially.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,020 ·

This would be just sooo funny because I cannot see it ending well at all, even if that's the right level for him now coaching. It's sad though, this guy sucks and should just be done and there probably are 10 other guys who would do a hell of a lot better than he does (how the hell does that guy who wins all the D2 national titles from Northwest Missouri not get an MVC job?)

1001 - 1020 of 1021 Posts