Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are actually two openings with a pair of interim coaches right now: Manhattan and North Carolina A&T.

But, one thing I do enjoy is speculating and of course, to everyone else here, being a big old meany to people who continually wonder why Becker isn't getting P5 offers. Additionally, we've got some very early signs of jobs that really should be opening, and ones that are very much in an identity crisis (Georgetown, Syracuse, others).

Also, in some other thread, everyone was poo-pooing the next great Italian-American basketball coach, Jared Grasso. There were talks that his antics would keep him at Bryant for a while. There was also someone who said he'd likely end up at a usually unsuccessful AAC school and then like everyone else, get fired from it.

To point one: sure he might not be leaving Bryant after this year, or maybe the next, or ever. I don't know what the future brings. Some ADs won't hire for his antics, but plenty of others could be intrigued. Like it or not, his players like him, his style of play, and his attitude, and I'm going to guess what is seen as asshole behavior for opponents could and would be embraced by schools in dire need of winning and an injection into the program. This shouldn't be breaking news to some given how athletics departments at all levels routinely bend morals for all sorts of reasons. Hiring someone who is only guilty of being an asshole, with teams that can match his demeanor. is quite tame in comparison.

This, brings me to another point: Grasso's next move probably isn't right into South Florida whatever bottom-feeder AAC school needs a jolt...he's far more likely to move on to another one-bid league that has a raised profile and more resource-rich schools. For example, there's a certain former AE member in a new league that is currently struggling and if it weren't for thinking they'd look like clowns upon joining the new league would have fired their current coach last year. Stony Brook absolutely would consider Grasso, and I think he'd consider them too. They can pay well, have good resources, it's a much more competitive league by all metrics than the one he is in, and it could offer a much better springboard than going directly from Bryant. He keeps doing his thing, well now he's won at two places. It can make it harder to ignore that a guy, still pretty young (42) is able to attract talent, and win basketball games, and that brashness just might be worth the headache for many other teams.

Also, if Grasso got South Florida or some other job he likely will get fired from, he's done better than a vast majority of coaches at the AE level. People forget that you are much, much more likely to be fired from a head coaching position in the AE than you are to be hired away to get another job. Since 2010, every team but UNH has changed its coach. Only 5 of them were because their current coach got another job. The other 13 changes were firings.

Anyway hot seat big board is as follows:

One bid: NJIT, North Florida, Hampton, Stony Brook, Green Bay, Robert Morris, Columbia, Dartmouth, Rider, Canisius, Holy Cross, Valparaiso, Houston Christian, UL Monroe, Northeastern*, Albany**

*Shocked by how badly they've struggled. I don't want to fully put them on here, because I think Coen can turn it around, but yikes. Doesn't help they have former players playing well at Big 10 and Pac 12 schools right now that would have made things a lot different.

**This is more of my take that Killings will bail out to join a high-major staff at the season's end.

Multi bids: South Florida, St. Joseph's, Syracuse, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Georgetown, Cal...there are plenty of others off to good starts right now but could be looking very grim in January.

· Registered
4,595 Posts
Funny how personalities evolve. Grasso was an asst at Hartford under Larry Harrison. On the surface he was calm east going etc. it’s actually entertaining to me to see how his personality in the head coaching role has emerged into this villain.

· Registered
4,313 Posts
Also, if Grasso got South Florida or some other job he likely will get fired from, he's done better than a vast majority of coaches at the AE level. People forget that you are much, much more likely to be fired from a head coaching position in the AE than you are to be hired away to get another job. Since 2010, every team but UNH has changed its coach. Only 5 of them were because their current coach got another job. The other 13 changes were firings.
I'd also quibble that he's going to get fired from your South Florida or East Carolina or George Washington or wherever.

What he's doing may seem really simple to a bunch of quacks like us on a message board- "He offers everyone, a couple come, and he fills in the rest with the transfer portal." If it's that easy, why isn't everyone doing it? We've all seen numerous times where stuff like this doesn't work.

I don't think any of us think Grasso is a bad X's and O's coach. You don't win as much as he does if you can't coach basketball. Beyond that, his best skill is probably his ability to keep the island of misfit toys from devolving into anarchy. And that really is a skill! There are probably 300 players looking to transfer each year. The vast majority of them are because they aren't happy with their on court situation- be it playing time or fit or whatever. Sifting through those guys and figuring out who can actually help you isn't easy, and Grasso's batting average on those players is higher than most. He's also taken on guys who had academic/behavioral issues at School A and has (aside from some on court shenanigans that fall more into the violating decorum bucket than the criminal bucket) kept the plane in the air. That also takes skill! Just ask Binghamton!

If South Florida or East Carolina or whoever is going to compete in the AAC, that's the model. You aren't going to outrecruit Penny Hardaway at Memphis or Kelvin Sampson at Houston for high school All-Americans. You need to take in guys on Chance 2 or 3 or 4. You need to pick the right players to offer those chances to, and you need to keep them on the court. I have a lot more faith that Grasso can do that than a Becker. Becker has had, until Bryant's arrival, the most talented team in our league every year. He goes out and recruits the best high schoolers of anyone in the league, and he does a great job coaching them up. He's not going to be able to do that at USF. If hypothetical USF Coach Becker wants to come even close to being able to put talent on the floor that is equivalent to Penny Hardaway, he's going to need to start using the portal and recruiting guys with issues he hasn't had to deal with in Burlington. I don't know if he can or can't do that, but I'm sure Grasso can.

· Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd also quibble that he's going to get fired from your South Florida or East Carolina or George Washington or wherever.
I absolutely agree with your take. I was just using what someone else said in another thread to be derogatory toward the guy. Because...apparently achievement and success can only be done a certain way to a lot of people here, who also seem to really not understand how there are coaches that do have the capability based on their skills/how they coach to be more plug-and-play into many more jobs (Grasso) where another very successful coach (Becker) would not be and would primarily have to rely much more on "institutional fit" because their coaching style is catered toward a very specific type of school/expectations and will always only have limited choices.

· Premium Member
34,696 Posts
Grasso has won 20 games once in his career and lost in a First-Four game in the NCAA Tournament. What coaching options does he have, again, exactly? Just curious. Like, if Duquesne or something comes up then maybe he's someone you'd talk to, but feel
like 7-10 people need to say no still first for an AAC job.

· Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grasso has won 20 games once in his career and lost in a First-Four game in the NCAA Tournament. What coaching options does he have, again, exactly? Just curious. Like, if Duquesne or something comes up then maybe he's someone you'd talk to, but feel
This coming year? TBD. 4-5 years from now if he maintains success? TBD, but probably a lot! He's 42, could be back in the NCAAs this year, and maybe even the year after that. As long as he's winning he'll get choices. Broadly, this is a conversation about his long-term career prospects and the type of coach he is that does in fact allow him more options and appeal than other coaches in the league currently. That should seem pretty obvious by the conversation CCD and I have had thus far.

You could also read what I wrote in the first post regarding what is much more likely to happen in his career path than going straight to an AAC job, should his success continue, because that should answer your question.

You know what? I'll even be nice and repost it here for you, even if I fully expect a bad faith comment on how it's actually wrong or "LOL so not an upgrade" comment from you:

This, brings me to another point: Grasso's next move probably isn't right into South Florida whatever bottom-feeder AAC school needs a jolt...he's far more likely to move on to another one-bid league that has a raised profile and more resource-rich schools. For example, there's a certain former AE member in a new league that is currently struggling and if it weren't for thinking they'd look like clowns upon joining the new league would have fired their current coach last year. Stony Brook absolutely would consider Grasso, and I think he'd consider them too. They can pay well, have good resources, it's a much more competitive league by all metrics than the one he is in, and it could offer a much better springboard than going directly from Bryant. He keeps doing his thing, well now he's won at two places. It can make it harder to ignore that a guy, still pretty young (42) is able to attract talent, and win basketball games, and that brashness just might be worth the headache for many other teams.

· Registered
4,313 Posts
No one is saying he is leaving tomorrow. I'm just saying that his toolkit is closer to the toolkit you need to win at a low level AAC or A-10 school than someone who does things the "traditional" way.

· Gr8t Dane
924 Posts
Albany**

**This is more of my take that Killings will bail out to join a high-major staff at the season's end.
Gotta think that the Albany seat is more than a "hot seat".... More like a boiling seat. The only saving grace he has is that Benson seems to like and protect "his guys." That said, he is currently being sued by a former player for inappropriate contact and racial discrimination, and barely avoided being fired for cause at the end of last season. Take all that kindling wood and use the teams embarrassing performance in relation to the talent and athleticism they seem to possess as the gasoline being poured. All you need is one spark, much less a match, and he is gone. I like the guy and think he can be a good coach, but I'm not sure this is the right time or place. He has plenty of connections on the basketball world so he will probably end up an assistant somewhere if he can't turn things around and find a fire extinguisher.

· Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotta think that the Albany seat is more than a "hot seat".... More like a boiling seat. The only saving grace he has is that Benson seems to like and protect "his guys." That said, he is currently being sued by a former player for inappropriate contact and racial discrimination, and barely avoided being fired for cause at the end of last season. Take all that kindling wood and use the teams embarrassing performance in relation to the talent and athleticism they seem to possess as the gasoline being poured. All you need is one spark, much less a match, and he is gone. I like the guy and think he can be a good coach, but I'm not sure this is the right time or place. He has plenty of connections on the basketball world so he will probably end up an assistant somewhere if he can't turn things around and find a fire extinguisher.
That's why I think he bails, and nobody stands in his way if he leaves. The AD can claim he tried to salvage it, DK can claim it wasn't salvageable, and trash everyone to his coaching buddies on the way out. Either way, the AD loses because he can't be upwardly mobile for another year or two (when he should probably just lose his job over it), and the school loses because likely half the roster ends up transferring and the next coach has to come in to take over and rebuild the rebuild.

And yeah, good luck to the white kid claiming racial discrimination. Stick to the contact and the allegations that Killings hindered him from landing elsewhere by telling coaches not to take him on where you might have a case, kid.

· Realist/A-hole
6,350 Posts
There are actually two openings with a pair of interim coaches right now: Manhattan and North Carolina A&T.

But, one thing I do enjoy is speculating and of course, to everyone else here, being a big old meany to people who continually wonder why Becker isn't getting P5 offers. Additionally, we've got some very early signs of jobs that really should be opening, and ones that are very much in an identity crisis (Georgetown, Syracuse, others).

Also, in some other thread, everyone was poo-pooing the next great Italian-American basketball coach, Jared Grasso. There were talks that his antics would keep him at Bryant for a while. There was also someone who said he'd likely end up at a usually unsuccessful AAC school and then like everyone else, get fired from it.

To point one: sure he might not be leaving Bryant after this year, or maybe the next, or ever. I don't know what the future brings. Some ADs won't hire for his antics, but plenty of others could be intrigued. Like it or not, his players like him, his style of play, and his attitude, and I'm going to guess what is seen as asshole behavior for opponents could and would be embraced by schools in dire need of winning and an injection into the program. This shouldn't be breaking news to some given how athletics departments at all levels routinely bend morals for all sorts of reasons. Hiring someone who is only guilty of being an asshole, with teams that can match his demeanor. is quite tame in comparison.

One bid: NJIT, North Florida, Hampton, Stony Brook, Green Bay, Robert Morris, Columbia, Dartmouth, Rider, Canisius, Holy Cross, Valparaiso, Houston Christian, UL Monroe, Northeastern*, Albany**

*Shocked by how badly they've struggled. I don't want to fully put them on here, because I think Coen can turn it around, but yikes. Doesn't help they have former players playing well at Big 10 and Pac 12 schools right now that would have made things a lot different.

Multi bids: South Florida, St. Joseph's, Syracuse, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Georgetown, Cal...there are plenty of others off to good starts right now but could be looking very grim in January.
Great points. I had completely forgotten about SBU and their lack of fanbase enthusiasm for old Geno. That is a completely plausible landing spot until a major conference comes calling.

· Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great points. I had completely forgotten about SBU and their lack of fanbase enthusiasm for old Geno. That is a completely plausible landing spot until a major conference comes calling.
Yup. I was told this summer SBU wanted him out, but their administration got cold feet thinking that firing him before going to the CAA would lead them to losing their entire roster and being the worst team in the conference. So, Geno probably is a dead man walking this year.

Grasso would probably go back to Iona too if Pitino, now basically cleared from his Louisville stuff, gets a huge Georgetown-sized bag dropped at his feet. He'd say see ya to his Bethpage condo and that group of guys basically paying his salary on New Rochelle faster than you can say Hoya Paranoia.

· Realist/A-hole
6,350 Posts
Yup. I was told this summer SBU wanted him out, but their administration got cold feet thinking that firing him before going to the CAA would lead them to losing their entire roster and being the worst team in the conference. So, Geno probably is a dead man walking this year.

Grasso would probably go back to Iona too if Pitino, now basically cleared from his Louisville stuff, gets a huge Georgetown-sized bag dropped at his feet. He'd say see ya to his Bethpage condo and that group of guys basically paying his salary on New Rochelle faster than you can say Hoya Paranoia.
I imagine that Iona would likely be his first choice with SBU as a solid backup plan. You've got to think that if Bryant gets back to the tournament that Grasso's name would be pretty high on both of those school's lists.

· Registered
349 Posts
I've said this recently but I don't understand how Ewing still has a job. Fans and boosters want him gone. Their forums now have posts with mocking praise for beating American and discussions on whether they'll break DePaul's streak for most consecutive conference losses.

Does the admin not care about the program? Are they embarrassed firing a school legend? Are they too cheap to buy him out? I just don't get it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts