Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Gotta think that the Albany seat is more than a "hot seat".... More like a boiling seat. The only saving grace he has is that Benson seems to like and protect "his guys." That said, he is currently being sued by a former player for inappropriate contact and racial discrimination, and barely avoided being fired for cause at the end of last season. Take all that kindling wood and use the teams embarrassing performance in relation to the talent and athleticism they seem to possess as the gasoline being poured. All you need is one spark, much less a match, and he is gone. I like the guy and think he can be a good coach, but I'm not sure this is the right time or place. He has plenty of connections on the basketball world so he will probably end up an assistant somewhere if he can't turn things around and find a fire extinguisher.
The only saving grace is that he literally has ZERO dollars to buyout his contract. If Killings goes it will be for two reasons:

1. They find enough information that is for cause (more than the initial investigation that apparently had enough cause to allegedly lead to the decision to terminate him based on the University's Zero Tolerance physical touching policy). They will need more now, in my opinion; or

2. Like Catpower says, he sees the writing on the wall and goes to a high major Asst Job.

Honestly, it WILL ONLY be #1 in my opinion. He won't leave after this year on his own.

Flat out, Albany does not have 1.3 million dollars to buyout Killings contract. End discussion.

· Gr8t Dane
924 Posts
The only saving grace is that he literally has ZERO dollars to buyout his contract. If Killings goes it will be for two reasons:

1. They find enough information that is for cause (more than the initial investigation that apparently had enough cause to allegedly lead to the decision to terminate him based on the University's Zero Tolerance physical touching policy). They will need more now, in my opinion; or

2. Like Catpower says, he sees the writing on the wall and goes to a high major Asst Job.

Honestly, it WILL ONLY be #1 in my opinion. He won't leave after this year on his own.

Flat out, Albany does not have 1.3 million dollars to buyout Killings contract. End discussion.
Well I'm on record supporting him and understand him taking time adjusting to the head coach job, but patience is a virtual that can be lost quickly with the team continuing to not look like it's improving. I like him and hope he does turn the season around and get passed the lawsuit, but his seat is definitely beyond hot. As you said, the school clearly won't fire him for monetary reasons, but I'm sure the school as a whole does not want it's image further dragged through the mud if the lawsuit goes south. I could see a mutual parting of the ways with a waived buy-out. Advantage to him is that he doesn't have a termination in his past.

I'm not ready to start guessing who the new coach would be yet. I have confidence. LOL

· Registered
899 Posts
I've said this recently but I don't understand how Ewing still has a job. Fans and boosters want him gone. Their forums now have posts with mocking praise for beating American and discussions on whether they'll break DePaul's streak for most consecutive conference losses.

Does the admin not care about the program? Are they embarrassed firing a school legend? Are they too cheap to buy him out? I just don't get it.
The funny part if they didn't even beat American. They did beat UMBC the other day.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't fire him or sit down with him and be like "this isn't working, please step aside" at the end of last season. I get not wanting to fire a legend but he's sending the program down the shitter.

· Registered
3,518 Posts
Well I'm on record supporting him and understand him taking time adjusting to the head coach job, but patience is a virtual that can be lost quickly with the team continuing to not look like it's improving. I like him and hope he does turn the season around and get passed the lawsuit, but his seat is definitely beyond hot. As you said, the school clearly won't fire him for monetary reasons, but I'm sure the school as a whole does not want it's image further dragged through the mud if the lawsuit goes south. I could see a mutual parting of the ways with a waived buy-out. Advantage to him is that he doesn't have a termination in his past.

I'm not ready to start guessing who the new coach would be yet. I have confidence. LOL
I would think that the lawsuit probably ends in a settlement. It seems like that's the path of least resistance and then no one will know how it was resolved, only that it was. If a settlement happens, I think that Killings keeps his job until his contract is up or he chooses to leave.

· Registered
2,610 Posts
I would think that the lawsuit probably ends in a settlement. It seems like that's the path of least resistance and then no one will know how it was resolved, only that it was. If a settlement happens, I think that Killings keeps his job until his contract is up or he chooses to leave.
I think Albany has kind of screwed themselves here. They could have (perhaps, should have) fired Killings at the end of last season when the news broke -- and owed him nothing, but they caved in to pressure and kept him around.

Now, unless new information emerges (and the lawsuit actually alleges that there is no new information -- the school knew everything and chose to take weak action) they can't terminate Killings over the incident and can only terminate him for being a lousy coach (at which point they have to pay off the remainder of his contract).

After everything, Binghamton ended up paying Broadus in full -- that fact can't be lost on the powers that be in Albany and at SUNY Central. Even if the player wins their lawsuit against Albany and against Killings, I don't think Albany has any ground to fire Killings for cause.

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

If you believe a few corners of the internet, the rumor is he had a player revolt on his hands for forcing more practice time than allotted on them.

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So far we've got:

- A coach walking into the AD's office and asking for a contract extension, alleged words exchanged, gets fired right before the season (Manhattan)

- A coach who had a savior complex in a very shitty and bad situation, deciding to go through with a scrimmage without a trainer present and then resigns when a player got hurt after making every wrong tactical move in the book in regards to his own employment (Hartford)

- A strange catfishing possible quid-pro-quo for sex suit filed against an assistant coach alleging the head coach knew what was going on (Coppin State)

- A player involved in a shooting (alleged self-defense) and members of the coaching staff not turning over the weapon and skipping town before the police could get statements (if they weren't being charged they were free to go, legally, but...prob not smartest approach) (New Mexico State)

- A coach placed on leave after a player revolt over going over the legally required limits on practice (Wofford)

- A coach at a top 10 ranked school and one of the most media adored coaches in the country getting charged with domestic violence (Texas)

· Registered
3,518 Posts
So far we've got:

- A coach walking into the AD's office and asking for a contract extension, alleged words exchanged, gets fired right before the season (Manhattan)

- A coach who had a savior complex in a very shitty and bad situation, deciding to go through with a scrimmage without a trainer present and then resigns when a player got hurt after making every wrong tactical move in the book in regards to his own employment (Hartford)

- A strange catfishing possible quid-pro-quo for sex suit filed against an assistant coach alleging the head coach knew what was going on (Coppin State)

- A player involved in a shooting (alleged self-defense) and members of the coaching staff not turning over the weapon and skipping town before the police could get statements (if they weren't being charged they were free to go, legally, but...prob not smartest approach) (New Mexico State)

- A coach placed on leave after a player revolt over going over the legally required limits on practice (Wofford)

- A coach at a top 10 ranked school and one of the most media adored coaches in the country getting charged with domestic violence (Texas)
It's almost like you revel in the misfortunes of others.

Thankfully this is an an anonymous message board so no one can point out the lowest points in your life.

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Thankfully this is an an anonymous message board so no one can point out the lowest points in your life.
Please point out where I am reveling in this misfortune. I'm pointing out that to borrow the words of GoCatsGo above me that there are already "coaches who have big problems" and it's only December. Do you think any of these situations are good? They are quite unfortunate!!

As for life, I'd advise you go get one if what I say bothers you too much.

· Registered
899 Posts

What's unfortunate is that these are the people several major universities have selected to be the leader of young men. Nobody's perfect, but I've never tried to cover up a murder or been arrested for domestic abuse. I would hope we hold the coaches making hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to coach college basketball to a higher standard than Joe Q. Messageboard Guy.

· Registered
3,518 Posts
Please point out where I am reveling in this misfortune. I'm pointing out that to borrow the words of GoCatsGo above me that there are already "coaches who have big problems" and it's only December. Do you think any of these situations are good? They are quite unfortunate!!

As for life, I'd advise you go get one if what I say bothers you too much.
Dude, you traffic in the misfortune of others. You just listed 6 really bad situations for coaches/staff/personnel. In the last week, you posted not once, but three times the link to your story on the UVM civil suit because you weren't getting enough action the first time that you posted it. You've freely admitted that you come here to troll fans for being too fan-ny. Your schtick is losing its luster because many are figuring out who/what you are.

As far as my life, you were trying to bait me two weeks ago to admit where I was spending my Thanksgiving weekend presumably to find some fault or criticism, now I need a life?!??!

Pick a lane.

· Registered
421 Posts
Dude, you traffic in the misfortune of others. You just listed 6 really bad situations for coaches/staff/personnel. In the last week, you posted not once, but three times the link to your story on the UVM civil suit because you weren't getting enough action the first time that you posted it. You've freely admitted that you come here to troll fans for being to fan-ny. Your schtick is losing is luster because many are figuring out who/what you are.

As far as my life, you were trying to bait me two weeks ago to admit where I was spending my Thanksgiving weekend presumably to find some fault or criticism, now I need a life?!??!

Pick a lane.
Boys...could we try to pretend we are grown ups. Come on, fellas. Again this feels like fighting in the sandbox stuff.

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Dude, you traffic in the misfortune of others. You just listed 6 really bad situations for coaches/staff/personnel. In the last week, you posted not once, but three times the link to your story on the UVM civil suit because you weren't getting enough action the first time that you posted it. You've freely admitted that you come here to troll fans for being to fan-ny. Your schtick is losing is luster because many are figuring out who/what you are.

Pick a lane.
You truly are grasping here and making a big deal out of pretty innocuous commentary. I've obviously pushed a few buttons with you in recent weeks that hit close to home. I'm not going to encourage your unhealthy behavior, so I'd ask that you take tizzy's advice and cool off.

· Registered
9,063 Posts
Dude, you traffic in the misfortune of others. You just listed 6 really bad situations for coaches/staff/personnel. In the last week, you posted not once, but three times the link to your story on the UVM civil suit because you weren't getting enough action the first time that you posted it. You've freely admitted that you come here to troll fans for being too fan-ny. Your schtick is losing is luster because many are figuring out who/what you are.

Pick a lane.
Your standards for acceptable behavior are appallingly low.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts