Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Will Brown is stepping down as GM/coach of the Patroons, will seek a college or pro position
It'll be interesting to watch. I think if Brown gets another shot somewhere, he'll have to make some adjustments to his approach because he was trending down post-2018. The guy knows how to recruit junior colleges, where more players who have talent are headed because of the portal being used to fill in roster holes not, JUCOs. If he's smart and adjusts in the portal as well and goes out and finds his type of guys he can compete...but some of those guys need to be able to consistently score the basketball because you can't win every game 53-48 anymore. His last few years, and with a bit of injury bad luck if I recall, really did him in because Albany just had nobody that was a go-to scorer type.

So, is he only looking within the region? That also could be limiting. There probably will be some openings in D1 within the AE/NEC/MAAC which are leagues he'd be okay in, but would he put himself out there for say...the North Florida job? Charleston Southern? Green Bay? I don't know if he'd be a fit or a success there, but I'd imagine if you're trying to get back in you want 10-12 options, not waiting for 3-4. The other thing: he's a 50-year-old white guy too who isn't a sexy hire on paper (despite having winning overall/conference records), so who knows what ADs think.

The article says he's open to all levels. I can't tell you what D2 and D3 jobs would be open, and I wouldn't know where he'd fit in some cases, however...regionally, it's really hard to unseat D2/D3 coaches. Either they're successful and win a lot and stay for 30 years (and usually hand it off to an assistant/former player who likely will do the same), or they're just good enough for what the school wants and they get to stick around for 10-15 years provided they don't have any off-court stuff going on. Bad coaches usually get 6-7 years at those schools too. That too likely means extending the search beyond New England/Mid-Atlantic. I think he'd be great at a D3, coach, get a job as an assistant AD, and enjoy a pretty solid living.

Also, saying it would take something really unique to consider being a D1 assistant might be pretty limiting for Brown too...but also he's basically never been an assistant coach in his life, so I'm not surprised by that statement. But, if an opportunity came up to be an assistant coach at a P5/Big East type school where you can earn $200k or much more (after having presumably banked away a nice chunk of cash getting a six-figure salary for a decade plus), you have to listen, right? Some of those jobs you just get a different title and don't even have to go out and recruit and make a lot of money.

· Registered
1,974 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
I know it's part of the business but kind of feel bas for Tibbs. Relocate to Indiana and then to have your boss announce his retirement which means most likely your relocating again in less then a year. I'm sure he won't have a problem finding a position but have to wonder how many times would you want this to happen to you before you realize the profession isn't worth it.

· Registered
3,518 Posts
Yeah, that definitely does kind of stink for Tibbs. Having Notre Dame on your resume was probably worth it though. I assume that his profile is above the AE now, but I think that Becker would find a way to take him back if Tibbs were so inclined. Hopefully, the next place he lands works out to be a longer term gig.

· Registered
5,157 Posts
I know it's part of the business but kind of feel bas for Tibbs. Relocate to Indiana and then to have your boss announce his retirement which means most likely your relocating again in less then a year. I'm sure he won't have a problem finding a position but have to wonder how many times would you want this to happen to you before you realize the profession isn't worth it.
I don't not feel bad for him, but at the same time he had to know this was a distinct possibility. I feel like Mike Brey has been on the retirement/diplomatically encouraged exit radar for a little while now (those Elite 8 teams were a coaching lifetime ago). But, it's an ACC job and a chance to experience that and get exposed to some different circles. Sometimes that's worth it, even for a year.

The life of an assistant coach is full of movement. It's a tough gig: not for everybody, not forever. Hopefully his next landing spot is a good, stable one.

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Tibbs isn't coming back to UVM. For professional and personal reasons I imagine. Yes, he has more cache as a one-year ACC assistant so he likely can settle into another role this offseason. Better to learn now and work your network than in late March or April probably. But, he did move on from UVM for a reason. After a while, you don't want to keep being 3rd chair at an America East school. While I'm unsure that he was that at Albany, it's pretty clear of what the hierarchy was when he was an assistant at UVM, and it's quite clear now who is a second chair to Becker. That and I don't think Becker is going to up and ditch anyone on his current staff. He's never done it before, don't think he'd start now.

I know right now there is this big crush on him because of his "experienced recruiting" - yes, he got two good players here...but I've said it before, if you're going to succeed, especially at the higher reaches of the game he strives to be at, seven years and 2 players isn't good enough. He didn't get enough time to prove that, but his trajectory will be interesting because there is way less margin for error where the stakes are higher.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts