Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I am trying to figure out how the coaching musical chairs will go here, but I am not sure where to start. Who will be UNC's main target?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Did they really announce that on April Fools Day? Like it's all over the news and everything and seems real, so if it is they probably should have done this on a different day.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Not a shock on Texas (no pun intended). That was an obvious move.

Roy Williams retiring is a little surprising, and yes they're a blue blood for being extremely good, among the winningest programs of the decades most the time dating back to the lists in the 30s. Won titles in different decades, different coaches, that kind of thing.

And re: UCLA and my 20s/30s comment. On the Wikipedia page for UCLA men's basketball, it lists "conference regular season champions 1921, 1922, 1923, 1925, 1926, 1927 (I had clicked off that page later and included the 30s when I shouldn't have). So looks like sports-reference has UCLA as independent during that era, while UCLA is listed in wikipedia as a member of the SCIAC from 1921-1927.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Historically, KU, UK and UNC and maybe some others would be the original Blue Bloods because of their direct link to James Naismith. Indiana(Knight), Duke(K) Sutton and others came from the Henry Iba coaching tree. Iba grew up in Missouri. Maybe being in the same general area and time frame gives him a link to Naismith as well. Wooten grew up in Indiana and played basketball at Purdue. Purdue has it's own coaching tree with some ties to the Iba tree. It's all connected.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It appears Wooden is on the Ralph Jones coaching tree. Ralph Jones was one of the first basketball coaches in Indiana HS history. You learn something new every day.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I am fairly sure you can trace them all back to Adam. And I would be remiss not to mention Eve, as Adam could not have done it alone.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Will UNC stay within the family for their next coach? Or, will they look outside? Pure speculation, but would someone like Jay Wright have interest and be a fit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Who wants to be the coach that follows a legend? He/she's going to get fired because it'll never be good enough for the fanbase. Better to be the 2nd coach after the legend. Which brings up Mooney. As outstanding as he's been, who's going want to follow up that legend? He'll get a lifetime extension anyway and coach for another 20 years. Wonderful.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Who wants to be the coach that follows a legend? He/she's going to get fired because it'll never be good enough for the fanbase. Better to be the 2nd coach after the legend. Which brings up Mooney. As outstanding as he's been, who's going want to follow up that legend? He'll get a lifetime extension anyway and coach for another 20 years. Wonderful.
Actually, the ink hasn't dried on his new UNC contract...

because we are debating on matching it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
With Mooney at the helm, UNC would be back on top. The rest of the ACC better watch out! Heck, if the Moon Man were announced as the new UNC HC, Coach K would immediately announce his retirement as well. Maybe that sleazy Jim dude at SU also.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts