Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

· Gr8t Dane
924 Posts
My Take from the UA board. Felt I'd share it here as well, because something isn't adding up with this entire situation....

If it's true, he needs to go. Not sure if Benson is gone too, but others have claimed he is tied to DK and if DK is fired Benson is gone as well. That would be a silver lining, but I still hope this is much to do about nothing.

-------------------------------------------

The way I see it:

If it was bad, and DK lost the respect of the team, you'd think more would have entered the portal by now.

If DK was going to be fired, or at least the team thought he was gone, more would have entered the portal by now.

Fizulich entering the portal makes sense. He was a walk on that played decently well in his time and is probably exploring the potential to get a scholarship where he could get more time elsewhere. He had a great relationship with DK or he wouldn't have followed him to Albany from Marquette.

Horton entering the portal makes sense. He was second team AE and the DPOY in the league. Entering the portal doesn't mean you are leaving, but with 1 year of eligibility left, it makes sense to investigate your options. He has a resume now that could land him on a top 25 type team. If a BCS team doesn't come calling, he could always stay put.

Something smells funny with this whole situation. The fact that, at this moment, there are only two in the portal, both with strong reasons to be there, tells me that this situation may be being blown out of proportion. The only scary part is the story of DK being on leave. That means there is smoke, and where there is smoke there is fire.

At first glance, it appears the players all support him and want to stay here with him if they can. That's why none have entered the portal except the two that, as stated, have real reason to be there.

My guess is that UA is being ultra careful, got wind and started an investigation as they don't want the same type of egg on their face that UVM has with their rape situation, and the players are holding out hope that he is exonerated. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Also, pure speculation at this point: but remember back in November we were told that both Amica and Drumgoole could be back this season. Drumgoole was supposed to be back by conference play. Shafer got hurt back in November as well. Incident could have been with one of them as well

· Registered
4,595 Posts
This is very sad….for all concerned. It will be interesting to hear the facts when they come out. Since Killings has been away from the program for a number of weeks I bet they are having legal go back and forth trying to come to an agreement financially on the remainder of his contract.

· Registered
14,443 Posts
I wonder if Will Brown would be interested if Killings is gone?
That can't happen...Will Brown's time has passed regardless of what happens with DK or Benson. Some incredible peaks, but horrible recruiting, brutal player development, very long droughts of YEARS of losing basketball. UA needs to find new blood from the top down.

· Registered
270 Posts
Well well well all those jokes about the 2009 bearcats and now we have albany coaches beating their player and the administration covering it up... Maybe time to clean house and potentially shut down the program. Maybe go D3. Cant have albany embarrassing the SUNYs like this.

Can you imagine waiting your whole life to get a D1 coaching job and then in the first couple games you hit a player and get yourself fired and relegated to assistant coaching for the rest of your life?

· Registered
270 Posts
That can't happen...Will Brown's time has passed regardless of what happens with DK or Benson. Some incredible peaks, but horrible recruiting, brutal player development, very long droughts of YEARS of losing basketball. UA needs to find new blood from the top down.
Brown definitely loving what is happening right now to albany though. Sure he had all the issues that you explain above but he sure as hell never beat his players.

· Gr8t Dane
924 Posts
Brown definitely loving what is happening right now to albany though. Sure he had all the issues that you explain above but he sure as hell never beat his players.
We don't know that Killings beat his players either. What we do know is there was an incident that involved physicality between Killings and a player. Until we get more info, I'll reserve judgement. There are plenty of possibilities that fit into the timeline and the narrative that don't end in him being unemployed. Most are unlikely at this point, and where there is smoke there is fire, but to compare this to the absolute horrid situation at Bing without more details if pretty laughable.

· Registered
270 Posts
We don't know that Killings beat his players either. What we do know is there was an incident that involved physicality between Killings and a player. Until we get more info, I'll reserve judgement. There are plenty of possibilities that fit into the timeline and the narrative that don't end in him being unemployed. Most are unlikely at this point, and where there is smoke there is fire, but to compare this to the absolute horrid situation at Bing without more details if pretty laughable.
I was being sarcastic using the term "beating"

That being said at Binghamton you had a kid getting in trouble for stealing condoms and another player arrested for selling drugs. Some kids took easy classes. At Albany you had a coach physically attacking a player and the administration hid it for months and months.

kids will be kids but adults hiding the fact that another adult hit a kid is pretty bad.

· Registered
421 Posts

That being said at Binghamton you had a kid getting in trouble for stealing condoms and another player arrested for selling drugs. Some kids took easy classes. At Albany you had a coach physically attacking a player and the administration hid it for months and months.

kids will be kids but adults hiding the fact that another adult hit a kid is pretty bad.
So the information that the administration hid the altercation for months and months? Are we clear that Killings hit the player? Pushed? What facts do we now have?

· Gr8t Dane
924 Posts

If the allegations are true, then heads must roll, and I'll be first in line to blame the administration. My point was it's too early to make any judgements until more info comes out. Right now we have smoke, but no fire. No idea what the situation really entailed. Some have said it was minor, others implied it was an accident, others implied it was a scholly for hush that never materialized. No one knows except those that do, and they are silent at the moment.

I mean it's not like a star player raped someone then the administration covered it up. Then it would be an entirely different story.

· Registered
270 Posts
So the information that the administration hid the altercation for months and months? Are we clear that Killings hit the player? Pushed? What facts do we now have?
They obviously hid it if the kids parents apparently had to go to college president. it happened in november and the suspension came after the season. I agree about whether it was an outright punch, hit, push or just scuffle. i was going to ask that same thing but didnt want to seem insensitive.

If they want to fire him it is mostly likely pretty bad. even though the one twitter account was saying it was an accident.

· Registered
421 Posts
They obviously hid it if the kids parents apparently had to go to college president. it happened in november and the suspension came after the season. I agree about whether it was an outright punch, hit, push or just scuffle. i was going to ask that same thing but didnt want to seem insensitive.

If they want to fire him it is mostly likely pretty bad. even though the one twitter account was saying it was an accident.
Is it possible the player did not want this to come to light until recently? Is it possible the student asked the other players to not say anything until late in/after the season? Again, we have some who are ready to jump to conclusions about what are, for sure, concerning allegations. How about we limit the discussion to pondering what happened and hold on forming strong opinions until we can base them on actual facts?

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Is it possible the player did not want this to come to light until recently? Is it possible the student asked the other players to not say anything until late in/after the season? Again, we have some who are ready to jump to conclusions about what are, for sure, concerning allegations. How about we limit the discussion to pondering what happened and hold on forming strong opinions until we can base them on actual facts?
Killing's is cooked. Albany's announcer, Never says a bad word about the school, just stated that Killings is done.

edit: told the times union, didn't tweet it.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts