Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the football one, I think it's too much clutter to do one of these every year so this is a composite thread.

The 3 rule changes they are going to introduce this year are almost unnecessary. The video review for flagarants, and ejections i'm ok with but the other 2 are complete junk. Rewarding a team that not only fouls but injures a player with the chance to decide who shoots the FT's in his place? I mean seriously who thinks of this ****? And the new charge rule is just going to cause a bigger headache for officials. TM and I can't be the only ones who think college needs a half circle to help out these refs.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think this is going to be an exciting year in college basketball. There is not one clear cut top team, and leagues such as the Big 10, and Big 12 should be stronger than they were a year ago. I'll give a few predictions to start the year:

National Champion: Kansas
Final Four: Kansas, Kentucky, Villanova, and Texas
Player Of The Year: Luke Harangody (if ND is a top 10-20 team for most of the year), or Sherron Collins
1st Team All-Americans: Harangody, Collins, Cole Aldrich, Scottie Reynolds, and Kalin Lucas

ACC Champ: North Carolina
POY: Greivis Vazquez (If Maryland wins enough)
Freshman Of The Year: Derrick Favors

Big 10 Champ: Michigan State
POY: Kalin Lucas or Robbie Hummel
FOY: Darius Morris

Big 12 Champ: Kansas
POY: Sherron Collins
FOY: Avery Bradley or Jordan Hamilton

Big East Champ: Villanova
POY: Scottie Reynolds
FOY: Lance Stephenson

Pac-10 Champ: Washington
POY: Jerome Randle
FOY: Abdul Gaady

SEC Champ: Kentucky
POY: Devan Downey
FOY: John Wall

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UCLA is going to miss the tournament 2 years removed from making it to 3 final 4's in a row. They do not have any star power, and their offense is freaking awful. The only thing giving them a chance is the fact the Pac-10 is terrible.

Villanova's backcourt is legit. They can be sloppy at times, but its also early in the season. As I type this they escape against a young George Mason sqaud in Puerto Rico.

Memphis and Gonzaga have not fallen far. Gonzaga is loaded offensively, and they are well coached as always. To go into East Lansing that early in the year and almost come out with a win against the #2 team in the country is impressive. Same with Memphis on a neutral court against Kansas. They are quick and get after it defensively and should dominate C-USA once again. Pastner is going to keep that program at a high level for a long time.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Syracuse is really good. Wesley Johnson is the truth, and may push Luke Harangody for BE POY.

Cal is overrated but after watching Syracuse dismantle UNC, I feel maybe they are not as overrated as originally thought especially since they were missing Christopher in the Cuse game.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Been watching the mid-majors and I think George Mason, ODU or VCU (whoever wins the CAA) will be heading for the Sweet Sixteen. It's a very strong league this year at the top. VCU just beat Oklahoma and Mason lost a heartbreaker to Nova.

UConn will also be better than people think due to Kemba Walker and Jerome Dyson.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been watching the mid-majors and I think George Mason, ODU or VCU (whoever wins the CAA) will be heading for the Sweet Sixteen. It's a very strong league this year at the top. VCU just beat Oklahoma and Mason lost a heartbreaker to Nova.

UConn will also be better than people think due to Kemba Walker and Jerome Dyson.
George Mason is going to be very good over the next 2-3 years. I would not be suprised to see them make multiple tournaments, and win multiple tournament games over the next few seasons. A lot of very young talent (Pearson, Hancock, Cornelius just to name a few) that is extremely well coached. Have not seen ODU, or VCU but I should be able to get a glimpse of those two this week, especially since its Thanksgiving Break and I get a few days to just relax.

Agreed about UConn. Dyson is just off to a fantastic start, and they have better depth than I imagined they would. Oriakhi, and Coombs-McDaniel are both going to be real good players.

It will be interesting to see if Renardo Sidney is eligible at any point this year. Now I see why Ben Howland stayed away from him.

Maui Invitational starts tomorrow. No spectacular teams in the event this year but a chance to evaluate guys like Lance Stephenson, and Vandy freshman John Jenkins.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So UCLA is freaking terrible. No chance this team makes the tournament. They are not very good defensively and are the worst offensive team with such highly regarded recruits I have ever seen. If they win 15+ games this year I would be surprised, this is not your typical Bruins team. Howland needs to land some guys who can score because its apparent they have none right now.

Duke/UConn tonight should be very interesting. I think UConn is going to win, but it'll be interesting to see how Duke competes. West Virginia plays Texas A&M, who beat Clemson, tomorrow. They are playing without Ebanks, but they are still playing very well so far.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duke looked good yesterday evening, grinding out a defensive showdown against UConn. Nolan Smith, and Jon Scheyer are proving to be quite a duo in the backcourt and Singler is steady as always. I would not quite call them a final 4 contender yet, but they are the best team in the ACC.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So since were about a week or so away from the start of conference play I figured I would share my awards up to this point:

1st Team All-American:

PG: John Wall
SG: Jon Scheyer/James Anderson
SF: Damion James
PF: Luke Harangody
C: Klay Thompson

POY: John Wall or Luke Harangody
FOY: John Wall
COY: Steve Alford

I'll wait a little while to do a 2nd team and the conference awards. Been a pretty good season of college basketball so far. I haven't seen a clear cut favorite for the national championship, but if I had to put my money on someone it would be Texas or Kansas.

I'll do a top 10 rankings list from here on out and a player of the year list hopefully every week.

My top 10 for Christmas week:

1. Kansas
2. Texas
3. Kentucky
4. Syracuse
5. Purdue
6. West Virginia
7. Duke
8. Kansas State
9. Villanova
10. New Mexico

NPOY Watch:

1. John Wall
2. Luke Harangody
3. Klay Thompson
4. Damion James

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured I would update this, but Turner is my POY and Kansas is my national championships pick.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The best month of the year is now upon us. It'll be interesting to see how the seeding and regional placements shake out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts