Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or do almost all college kids listen to same type of music? In high school, almost everyone I knew listened to punk. Once I hit college, it's all about the indie rock. Did anyone else have the same experience?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,208 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Yyzlin</b>!
Is it just me, or do almost all college kids listen to same type of music? In high school, almost everyone I knew listened to punk. Once I hit college, it's all about the indie rock. Did anyone else have the same experience?
It's the natural course since much indie rock comes from hardcore roots.

However, virtually no one listened to punk when I was in high school from 1991-1995, and only a handful of people listened to indie rock at my entire state college. If I went to a college in the city though, you can bet there'd be tons of trendy people though.

Plus, the internet has opened a lot of people up to indie rock (though we don't have MTV's 120 minutes anymore).
 

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
Joined
·
36,839 Posts
Ah, yes. College music.

Those were the days. Hanging out at the Cafe Wha? wearing dark shades and black turtleneck sweaters, smoking turkish cigarettes and digging some hep cat's poetry. And when the music started, it was always the same, daddy-O. Peter, Paul and Mary, Dylan (until he went electric -- traitor), Tom Rush, and of course Pete Seeger. Of course the cooler of us also dug the old school -- Woodie Guthrie, Leadbelly and Library of Congress recordings of spirituals and field hollers.
 

·
Our Sentence Is Up
Joined
·
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!
Ah, yes. College music.

Those were the days. Hanging out at the Cafe Wha? wearing dark shades and black turtleneck sweaters, smoking turkish cigarettes and digging some hep cat's poetry. And when the music started, it was always the same, daddy-O. Peter, Paul and Mary, Dylan (until he went electric -- traitor), Tom Rush, and of course Pete Seeger. Of course the cooler of us also dug the old school -- Woodie Guthrie, Leadbelly and Library of Congress recordings of spirituals and field hollers.
:love:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,722 Posts
At my school it's all about the crappy "Indie rock"...

Us cool kids know what's up. And believe me, checking these boards definitely doesn't hurt my upkeep in what's new/good.
 

·
Our Sentence Is Up
Joined
·
40,250 Posts
oh yeah, at my school it's either MTV or crap indie rock, emo bands.

There's some underground hiphop heads here and there though. In powerful places no less. We got Aesop Rock to perform on our quad last year. And Outkast did our homecoming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,048 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Electric Slim</b>!
Hows school going, Yz? meet any nice grils?
How is Duke? I have a friend at Duke who's also a freshman. he said people just study a lot.
 

·
Nobody
Joined
·
6,373 Posts
At my school, it's all jam bands and the local scene. Except for the Grateful Dead, they're still very popular here. A lot of modern day hippies here, lots of dreadlocks. Lots of stoners too so Pink Floyd and other classic rock groups are well represented too.

Then there's the large cultural group here imported from LA... and that's all mainstream rap.

However, we did get Blackalicious here last year and they got a good audience.

Not a lot of emo people here, thankfully. The hippies can be annoying too but at least they're happy, friendly people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by <b>Electric Slim</b>!
Hows school going, Yz? meet any nice grils?
It's going great. I'm really loving college. It is such an amazing experience, and for the most part(except financially), you are really living on your own and you are responsible for yourself. The people are all very cool (especially the girls ;) ) , and unlike in high school, where you kinda associate yourself with a certain group of people, you become friends with a whole lot of people. And going back to girls, there are a lot, A LOT, of good-looking girls. I'm really not sure what happened in between high school and college, but the ratio of good looking to not really skyrocketed at college.

Going back to the question the person asked after about Duke in particular and the students there, most (being at Duke) are pretty responsible people. There is a whole bunch of partying, but it mostly takes place on Thursdays to Saturday. The rest of the nights are pretty sedated compared with the weekend as most students are pretty overwhelmed with work. That's one thing that I've had trouble getting used to. I really don't have a great work ethic, and I tend to waste a lot of time (like on this site) instead of getting to work. There are simply TOO many distractions and things to do in college. If you don't really dedicate a set time for academics, you will have major problems. I've already found that out, having already spent all night doing a cram fest to make up for all the missed work, and not doing too good on the test.

BTW, who's your friend? I might know him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,048 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Yyzlin</b>!

It's going great. I'm really loving college. It is such an amazing experience, and for the most part(except financially), you are really living on your own and you are responsible for yourself. The people are all very cool (especially the girls ;) ) , and unlike in high school, where you kinda associate yourself with a certain group of people, you become friends with a whole lot of people. And going back to girls, there are a lot, A LOT, of good-looking girls. I'm really not sure what happened in between high school and college, but the ratio of good looking to not really skyrocketed at college.

Going back to the question the person asked after about Duke in particular and the students there, most (being at Duke) are pretty responsible people. There is a whole bunch of partying, but it mostly takes place on Thursdays to Saturday. The rest of the nights are pretty sedated compared with the weekend as most students are pretty overwhelmed with work. That's one thing that I've had trouble getting used to. I really don't have a great work ethic, and I tend to waste a lot of time (like on this site) instead of getting to work. There are simply TOO many distractions and things to do in college. If you don't really dedicate a set time for academics, you will have major problems. I've already found that out, having already spent all night doing a cram fest to make up for all the missed work, and not doing too good on the test.

BTW, who's your friend? I might know him.
Well, I don't exactly publicize that I post on an internet basketball messageboard, so don't mention that. But his name is Jing. He's Asian (obviously). Pretty cool guy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by <b>rwj333</b>!


Well, I don't exactly publicize that I post on an internet basketball messageboard, so don't mention that. But his name is Jing. He's Asian (obviously). Pretty cool guy.
I don't think I've met him. Honestly, I probably am only on a first name basis with about 100-150 kids right now. Considering that there are 1600 other people in my class, that's really only skimming the tip of the iceberg.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top