Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever got in trouble for drinking on campus? and if so what was your punishment and what is the most severe punishment you can receive for a first offense?

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
It's up to the RA what happens at my school. The maximum punishment is one strike (three and you're out) and a month or so's worth of what are essentially AA meetings. The minimum is just a warning not to do it again. The punishments don't get any worse if you repeat offend -- after all, all it takes are three screwups and you're out.

I was only busted once, freshman year when there was a 20ish person party going on in the suite down the hall from me. They didn't consider me to be drunk (I wasn't), so all I had to do was give them my account of I did that evening and there'd be no further problems. They basically just started a file on me, so if I were to get busted again they would know I had had past problems. Most people got the same punishment, though the guys who lived there got the max, and those that didn't go to the school were just told to get out of the building.

This all applies to on campus stuff. Off campus, anything goes.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I got busted the first semester of my freshman year. Me and about 25 other dorm-mates hanging around outside, drunk and loud as hell. Yeah, we were smart.

Each of us had to meet some someone who worked with residential services. I believe everyone was put on something like 60-90 days alcohol probation. So if we got caught for anything else, I think then we would actually be in trouble.

It wasn't ever really a big deal. I think most colleges know full well what is going on and just want to keep it a little under control.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
A guy at the end of my hallway just got taken away by two police officers a few nights ago. Apparently he was really drunk and was yelling and fighting with his suite mates. I went out to brush my teeth and I saw him being handcuffed, crying, being taken away even though he could barely walk.

Police Man: "Don't play games with me, son."

Guy (crying): "Please sir, I can't walk sir. I'm trying, sir!"

Don't know what the consequences are yet though.. they took him to the hospital, not the police station.

·
Registered
172 Posts
At Virgina Tech, we have whats Judicial Referrals. In other words, get caught drinking or drunk and loud (at the RA/VTPolice's discretion) anywhere on campus and you will get a JR. JR's can for a first offense give you a sentence of 90 hours community service (i think) and requirement to attend AA meetings with campus reps. I dont know too many people who have been caught for drinking, but i do know people who have gotten JR's.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
I got caught last year....

We still have to signup for an alcohol meeting jsut one saturday and it's only 2 hours in the morning....we had to pay some fines but that's it...me and my roomate took the blame for everything so it didnt get alot of people in trouble (RoyWilliams) who were drunk out in the hallway trying to get in while the BG cops were busting us

·
Premium Member
12,113 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Shaq_Diesel</b>!
I got caught last year....

We still have to signup for an alcohol meeting jsut one saturday and it's only 2 hours in the morning....we had to pay some fines but that's it...me and my roomate took the blame for everything so it didnt get alot of people in trouble (RoyWilliams) who were drunk out in the hallway trying to get in while the BG cops were busting us
I plead the 5th.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Wow, i guess the states is a lot more strict about this sorta thing than here in Canada... Or our University just has no standards at all. Drunkeness carries no consequences except for a possible hangover here, unless you are loud/breaking things while drunk. And by loud I mean people below you can hear you through the cement floor, not just other people on your floor.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jdg</b>!
Wow, i guess the states is a lot more strict about this sorta thing than here in Canada... Or our University just has no standards at all. Drunkeness carries no consequences except for a possible hangover here, unless you are loud/breaking things while drunk. And by loud I mean people below you can hear you through the cement floor, not just other people on your floor.
Ah yes!! Even people under 19 were allowed to drink, as long as it was in the dorms. I got fined once ( to bake 1 dozen cookies, which incidently I never did) for drunkenly yelling at my RA when he asked us to turn down the music... Good times.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
ah, memories. at UCSB, campus was supposed to be dry (ha!), so it really depended on your RA if you lived on campus. My RA freshman year was really strict and I think he relished the role of busting some of the crazier residents. I got caught drinking in one of their rooms once, but hid the bottle behind the desk and said I hadn't been drinking. Since the RA thought I was a model citizen, he believed me, but still made me talk to the Resident Manager of our dorm. The RM couldn't have cared less. He let me go after like 2 minutes. The best part was that as soon as the RA left that night, I started drinking like there was no tomorrow and, in my drunken haze, told everyone in the vicinity how much of a jackass the RA was for the rest of the night. He apparently never knew of this.

Off campus, pretty much anything went unless you had really paranoid landlords (I did for a year) who called the cops at the first sign of a congregation. Otherwise you just had to make sure you didn't take any open containers of booze out onto the streets - at UCSB, underclassmen especially walk around Isla Vista with plastic cups turned upside down - very classy. Indoors or even on the lawn of someone's house was fair game. Or, if you're so drunk that your motor skills are clearly hindered or you're making a total *** of yourself, you can get hauled in for Drunk in Public.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
It's really amazing how some freshmen feel like somehow they're entitled to get drunk every night and their RA has to let them do it. A girl I know from high school (we're both sophomores this year) is an RA at San Diego State. She said she had her floor meeting when the freshman on move-in day, and basically told them, you know, "Blah, blah, blah, the University doesn't allow you to have alcohol in the dorms, so do whatever you're going to do, I'm not going to be your mom, but be careful because if you let yourself get caught I have to write you up." Pretty reasonable if you ask me, but the freshmen got pissed off and basically expected there to be no rules. Bunch of brats.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Wiggum</b>!
It's really amazing how some freshmen feel like somehow they're entitled to get drunk every night and their RA has to let them do it. A girl I know from high school (we're both sophomores this year) is an RA at San Diego State. She said she had her floor meeting when the freshman on move-in day, and basically told them, you know, "Blah, blah, blah, the University doesn't allow you to have alcohol in the dorms, so do whatever you're going to do, I'm not going to be your mom, but be careful because if you let yourself get caught I have to write you up." Pretty reasonable if you ask me, but the freshmen got pissed off and basically expected there to be no rules. Bunch of brats.
Yeah, that pretty much applies here, too. Basically, if you discrete about drinking, and don't start up trouble while drunk, you will not get in any trouble.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Wiggum</b>!
well, if you have a reasonable RA, then you're completely right. My problem was that our RA thought he was a detective or something and spent many of his Friday and Saturday nights trying to catch people drinking. My friends never really started any trouble - they just weren't so great at keeping it a secret, so they got written up on a weekly basis. I'm still not sure how I managed to avoid being caught other than that one time. I was hanging around with those guys more often than not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts