Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is that there are so many more guys who swing 2-3, and even 3-4, and 4-5 than 1-2? Without even thinking about it I can probably list a dozen guys currently in the league who can swing to other positions, even if they're generally thought of has having one position. And that's true both for stars (such as Duncan, Dirk or Pierce) and journeymen (Jim Jackson, Shandon Anderson, and Kukoc). Sure there are guys like NVE and Damon who "can play" both positions but, I'd argue that they're both significantly out of position at the 2. When I think of 1-2 guys, or even guys generally thought of as points but who can actually play (and for me that means actually defending capably) the 2, I come up with guys like Kidd, Magic, Barry, Penny and...?

I do get it that the point is perhaps the hardest position to play and that taller players have a longer dribble which is more easily stolen by those pesky short guys and, it still seems odd to me. That reminds me, theoretically Alvin Williams was supposed to be true combo guard, though he's fallen off the face of the planet....

Thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
PorterIn2004 said:
Why is that there are so many more guys who swing 2-3, and even 3-4, and 4-5 than 1-2? Without even thinking about it I can probably list a dozen guys currently in the league who can swing to other positions, even if they're generally thought of has having one position. And that's true both for stars (such as Duncan, Dirk or Pierce) and journeymen (Jim Jackson, Shandon Anderson, and Kukoc). Sure there are guys like NVE and Damon who "can play" both positions but, I'd argue that they're both significantly out of position at the 2. When I think of 1-2 guys, or even guys generally thought of as points but who can actually play (and for me that means actually defending capably) the 2, I come up with guys like Kidd, Magic, Barry, Penny and...?

I do get it that the point is perhaps the hardest position to play and that taller players have a longer dribble which is more easily stolen by those pesky short guys and, it still seems odd to me. That reminds me, theoretically Alvin Williams was supposed to be true combo guard, though he's fallen off the face of the planet....

Thoughts, anyone?
I wish we could get Antonio Daniels back in here. He can swing between the 1 and the 2, and would be THE ideal guy to bring in for next season. However, I'm not sure that's a possibility.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
PorterIn2004 said:
When I think of 1-2 guys, or even guys generally thought of as points but who can actually play (and for me that means actually defending capably) the 2, I come up with guys like Kidd, Magic, Barry, Penny and...?
Wade, Arenas, Francis, and Baron Davis are probably the current top 4 IMO... Larry Hughes can fill in at the point as well.

STOMP

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Yeah, both Bryant and McGrady are combo guards, though you wouldn't want them to handle the point all the time. Stephon Marbury is primarily a point guard, but he could slide over to the two-guard spot.

Allen Iverson has played both positions. Shooting guard most of his career, but he started as a point guard and he's played point guard all this year and had a spectacular season.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Jalen Rose
Marquise Danials
Brent Barry
AI
............Derek Anderson has played some point (knock on wood)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll buy some of those suggestions (such as Wade, Crawford, Arenas, Hughes and even Bryant). Many of them, though either feel like 2-3s with reasonable ball-handling skills (McGrady and Rose) where, as Minstrel said, you'd not want them actually playing the point for more than a few minutes a game or, like with Damon and NVE, they feel like PGs who are really too short to defend proper shooting guards (Baron Davis, Francis, and even AI, who's generally had someone larger in the backcourt with him -- don't tell me AI can stop McGrady).

And yeah, Canjohno, Daniels probably would be an almost ideal guard off the bench.

Collectively, you all've done a fine job reminding me of guys capable of swinging 1-2. Still, I can't get past my sense that there are maaany more 2-3s than 1-2s out there in the league (though it's probably much closer at the college level). Anyone else have that sense and, if you do (or even if you don't), I'd love to hear thoughts on why that might be so.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
PorterIn2004 said:
I'll buy some of those suggestions (such as Wade, Crawford, Arenas, Hughes and even Bryant). Many of them, though either feel like 2-3s with reasonable ball-handling skills (McGrady and Rose) where, as Minstrel said, you'd not want them actually playing the point for more than a few minutes a game or, like with Damon and NVE, they feel like PGs who are really too short to defend proper shooting guards (Baron Davis, Francis, and even AI, who's generally had someone larger in the backcourt with him -- don't tell me AI can stop McGrady).

And yeah, Canjohno, Daniels probably would be an almost ideal guard off the bench.

Collectively, you all've done a fine job reminding me of guys capable of swinging 1-2. Still, I can't get past my sense that there are maaany more 2-3s than 1-2s out there in the league (though it's probably much closer at the college level). Anyone else have that sense and, if you do (or even if you don't), I'd love to hear thoughts on why that might be so.
Honestly, I think it just comes down to the fact that SG's and SF's are much closer, size-wise, than PG's and SG's are (in today's NBA at least). The skill sets that are demanded of SG's and SF's, are also very similar, whereas the skill sets demanded of (quality) PG's and SG's are VERY different. As was discussed above, there are some guys, typically regarded as SG's, that have adequate PG skills and therefore can get away with running the point... either for extended minutes (like Jalen Rose, Antonio Daniels, Dwyane Wade, etc. have done) or for spot minutes, here and there (like Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Marquis Daniels, etc. have done).

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
hasoos said:
Why get Antonio Daniels when you can have a Bobby Jackson? He is superior in almost every facet.
Because Antonio Daniels can actually suit-up and play?

Seriously, I'd MUCH rather have a healthy Bobby Jackson over Antonio Daniels, but the fact is... B-Jax is always hurt.

Career Games Played (Total Games per Season):

97-98 68 (82)
98-99 50 (50)
99-00 73 (82)
00-01 81 (82)
01-02 59 (82)
02-03 50 (82)
03-04 24 (82)
---------------
Total 405 (542)

So, he's played in approximately 74.7% (405/542) of the possible regular season games during his career (which seems to be a solid percentage, without looking into it any further). But, to me, the trend seems to suggest that he doesn't really have too much left... if anything. I'll admit, I know nothing about the types of injuries that have hampered him throughout the past three years. I don't know what injuries he's had, or the severity of any of them, but it appears to me that there's something seriously wrong with the guy.

Well, if there's a healthy Bobby Jackson layin' around this summer without a contract, by all means, sign him. But if he's broken... still, let him remain wherever he may be.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
CanJohno said:
Well, if there's a healthy Bobby Jackson layin' around this summer without a contract, by all means, sign him. But if he's broken... still, let him remain wherever he may be.
Jackson is also 32 years old. I'm not sure he'd want to come to a lottery team to sit on the bench unless we overpaid him.

Ed O.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ed O said:
Jackson is also 32 years old. I'm not sure he'd want to come to a lottery team to sit on the bench unless we overpaid him.

Ed O.
Moreover (from my perspective, anyway) Jackson isn't a proper combo guard. At 6'1" he's a point and, like NVE, Damon, or even you or me, he could be plugged in at SG (or nearly any other position) and like NVE or Damon (and unlike me) could do something at least somewhat useful. Still, I'd regard him as at least as out of position as when SAR or Z-bo are at center, likely more so.

Daniels, at 3"s taller, isn't a huge improvement but, he's a lot closer to what I consider minimum height for a 2 guard -- 6'5".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts