Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good article from CBS Sportsline on McMillan and the state of the Blazers. This is a quote from Telfair:

"I've learned that it's a matter of what you need to do every given night. When our go-to guys can't get it going, that's when I look to score and try to pick them up. When they are going, that's a night to dish the ball and get my assists."
That would explain why Telfair scores well when Randolph does not.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
WebZen said:
Good article from CBS Sportsline on McMillan and the state of the Blazers. This is a quote from Telfair:

That would explain why Telfair scores well when Randolph does not.
So...the theory that he's doing it in answer to Zach's sub-par game and not CAUSING Zach's sub-par game seems to make more sense now.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
BlazerFanFoLife said:
Thats what 3rd/4th options of offence usualy do when the first or second option isn't scoring
blasphemy...it has to be all on telfair being selfish.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Hap said:
So...the theory that he's doing it in answer to Zach's sub-par game and not CAUSING Zach's sub-par game seems to make more sense now.
Yeah. Real shocker that Telfair is saying it's not his fault.

It's like when people quoted John Nash when they were claiming that Telfair wasn't a reach...

Ed O.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Ed O said:

It's like when people quoted John Nash when they were claiming that Telfair wasn't a reach...

Ed O.
so..for someone who "forced" it, why did he have 0 turnovers and 8 assists? to me, that doesn't sound like someone who's trying to force his shots up. Nor someone who's averaging as few shots per gameas he is.

But for some reason, he's a scapegoat for the trader bob fans, because he was "drafted too high".

whatever.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Hap said:
btw, of the guys taken after telfair, where he was "too high", only 1 has shown that he might've been a better pick, and even thats debateable.
Please say it wasn't Al Jefferson! :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ed O said:

Ed O.

Ok Ed.....I think that's a little bit unfair....but I think I see where you're coming from.

Let's take a look at a few things over the last 5 games.

Zach's scoring totals, from highest to lowest:

@ Memphis: 20
@ New York: 17
@ Miami: 16
Vs. GS: 13
@ Orlando: 8 (eesh)

Bassy's scoring totals, lowest to highest:

@ Memphis: 2
@ Miami: 3
Vs. Golden State: 20
@ Orlando: 20
@ New York: 27

Throwing out the Knicks game as an extraordinary circumstance where I think we can all agree he was going at his cousin a little too much.....these numbers pretty much mirror what Telfair was saying in the quote.

Lets look at assist totals for Telfair as well. Highest to lowest:

@ Orlando: 8
@ New York: 7
@ Memphis: 6
@ Miami: 3
vs. Golden State: 3

Ok....these numbers seem to be more random. Out of curiosity, is there any correlation with his assist totals and Darius' scoring?

Miles' points, highest to lowest:

@ Orlando: 23
@ Memphis: 22
@ Miami: 19
@ New York: 16
Vs. Golden State: 15

Ok....so not a direct correlation, but again it is if you remove the Knicks game. It would make sense that Miles' style of play and method of scoring points is easier to garner assists on than Zach's game.

I'll admit to not being the most objective observer here, but the facts tend to back up his claim don't they? And I honestly did no background into this before starting the post. If they didn't back up what he says, I'd admit to having no argument.

And I only did the last 5 games because you need SOME kind of a sample size, and telfair really kicked up his scoring starting w/ the Knicks game. If you wanna go back and do the other games you can....but I'm too lazy tonight.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I appreciate you throwing some numbers out there, RPCity. To be honest, I don't have time to do any sort of statistical analysis of it. I just think it's funny that people would take Telfair's statement as some kind of proof.

Ed O.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts