Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read it somewhere today. It is an interesting news.

I always think Wolves need to trade KG for 2 almost-superstars. Which one is better?

1, KG to Nets for RJ-VC

Trade 20 pts per game for 50 pts per game? Lopside?

2, KG to Magic for D Howard and G Hill.

Trade for a rookie contract and an expiring contract? Lopside?

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I'd get Dwight Howard, but there's no way the Magic will include him in any deal, especially considering Garnett doesn't make them contenders or anything. Plus, D-Howard will be a Top 5 player when he hits his prime.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P-Dub34 said:
I'd get Dwight Howard, but there's no way the Magic will include him in any deal, especially considering Garnett doesn't make them contenders or anything. Plus, D-Howard will be a Top 5 player when he hits his prime.
KG + Kidd = playoffs

KG + Francis = playoffs

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Howard + anyone decent = likely championship contender for the next 10 years

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg Ostertag! said:
how about Howard + 3 half decents in Francis, Marbury and Hill?

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Ballscientist said:
KG + Kidd = playoffs

KG + Francis = playoffs
I don't agree...Francis is a ball-hog..

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Greg Ostertag! said:
Starting when? He can't even make the playoffs with Francis.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
I don't see why the Timberwolves would consider trading for Dwight Howard or pretty much anyone with a rookie contract [for Kevin Garnett, of course] considering that Garnett is going to be the best player in the trade and Minnesota is not the ideal place to live and potential franchise players would rather choose to sign elsewhere once the contract expires (most likely). Dwight Howard will be good, no doubt, but Kevin Garnett is already at a higher level of basketball excellence than what Howard projects to be (then again, what do I know?; any Garnett trade scenario is tricky).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Premier said:
Dwight Howard will be good, no doubt, but Kevin Garnett is already at a higher level of basketball excellence than what Howard projects to be (then again, what do I know?; any Garnett trade scenario is tricky).
The key here is "what do I know?" Do you have any idea what it means for a 19 year old to have a 20 point/20 rebound game? What it means is that Howard is clearly the most talented young big man since Duncan. Orlando would be nuts to trade him straight up for a Garnett who is 10 years older -- even if it were possible under the cap.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
scooter said:
The key here is "what do I know?" Do you have any idea what it means for a 19 year old to have a 20 point/20 rebound game? What it means is that Howard is clearly the most talented young big man since Duncan. Orlando would be nuts to trade him straight up for a Garnett who is 10 years older -- even if it were possible under the cap.
Has Dwight Howard stated that he will remain in Orlando once his rookie contract expires (when he will be commanding max money). I also did not dismiss Howard's ability. I simply stated that Kevin Garnett, right now, is and will always be the better basketball player of the two. Howard may become the better defensive player, but I don't think he could ever match Garnett's offensive ability.

·
#1 Al Horford Fan
1,260 Posts
Premier said:
Has Dwight Howard stated that he will remain in Orlando once his rookie contract expires (when he will be commanding max money). I also did not dismiss Howard's ability. I simply stated that Kevin Garnett, right now, is and will always be the better basketball player of the two. Howard may become the better defensive player, but I don't think he could ever match Garnett's offensive ability.
It's all up in the air right now, but Howard has the potential to be better than KG. That's right, I said better. Howard possesses the same length and athleticism that KG has, but he also has the ability to physically dominate with his gargantuan sized shoulders and huge frame. I have absolutely no doubt that Howard can and will be a very good offensive player in this league. Hell, his offensive game this season is already drastically improved over his rookie season.

You're right in a way in that he'll probably never have all the plethora of offensive moves that KG has, but who needs them with his size and strength? Howard will have the ability to just dominate with only a few moves, something KG cannot do because he isn't big enough to constantly bang in the post.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
YoYoYoWasup said:
It's all up in the air right now, but Howard has the potential to be better than KG. That's right, I said better. Howard possesses the same length and athleticism that KG has, but he also has the ability to physically dominate with his gargantuan sized shoulders and huge frame. I have absolutely no doubt that Howard can and will be a very good offensive player in this league. Hell, his offensive game this season is already drastically improved over his rookie season.

You're right in a way in that he'll probably never have all the plethora of offensive moves that KG has, but who needs them with his size and strength? Howard will have the ability to just dominate with only a few moves, something KG cannot do because he isn't big enough to constantly bang in the post.
Which is what he is trying to say. Howard is still a project and nobody knows for sure if he will ever get to the level of KG. I dont think Dwight will be a better player in KG interms of stats thats for sure. However, Dwight will likely lead his team in the future futher then KG ever has so far in his career.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Jamel Irief said:
Starting when? He can't even make the playoffs with Francis.
Yeah, maybe without Francis he could easily make it ! There is not reason why he could not be at the Amare level. It's just that he would need a Nash to set him up and Francis only sets up himself.

And since he is much younger and less beaten up, I would rather have Howard.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
If I am Minny I would do KG/Madsen for Howard/Cato/Garrity/2007 unprotected 1st rounder

It gives Minny the best building block available and I big jumpstart on rebuilding just for giving the Magic the illusion of being a contender with KG, Francis, and Grant Hill. To be honest, that might be worth it for Orlando especially if it can get them a new arena built and increase attendance. For the next 3-4 years KG is going to be better or as good as Howard. There is no promise that Howard will even be in Orlando after that. It is a risk but not that big of one IMO.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Ballscientist said:
I read it somewhere today. It is an interesting news.
I didn't know The Mars Times covered NBA basketball

·
Registered
700 Posts
It's a titanic risk. The Magic would be certifiably insane (and their GM's are) to trade a 19-year-old Howard and a 1st for ANYTHING.

Howard with help >> KG with no help in sight

Thrice on Sundays.

Second of all, were not getting a new arena no matter what. The city doesn't want to get anything done in that regard. All were getting are renovations at the most. That won't change regardless of who's on the team. Nor will attendance change if we simply get to watch another top 5 player lead us to another 21-61 record. Thirdly, Howard has already gone on record stating that he wants to remain in Orlando. It's certainly not a promise, but it's better than an aging KG and nothing but crap around him, when there's no promise that he'd even stay here either.

In conclusion, they ain't getting Howard unless they've found a way to bring Wilt back from the dead

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Howard isn't a project, barring injury or something similar he will be a top 5 player. He is untradeable, and unless he leaves Orl as a free agent (to come back home, I hope) he'd better not leave at all, if Magic management want to keep their jobs.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Burn said:
Howard isn't a project, barring injury or something similar he will be a top 5 player. He is untradeable, and unless he leaves Orl as a free agent (to come back home, I hope) he'd better not leave at all, if Magic management want to keep their jobs.

So what you are saying is that if all things go well in Orlando, Howard might be in 5 years what KG is today? Which at that time you have to hope you can get him some teammates as good as Steve Francis and Grant Hill. This same organization that has lost top 5 players Shaq, Penny and T MAc not in their primes but before they were entering their prime years. An organization that is desperate for a new building.

PG Steve Francis, Jameer Nelson
SG DeShawn Stevenson, Keyon Dooling
SF Grant Hill, Hedo
PF KG, Madsen (or Eddie Griffin if you can get him)
C Tony Battie, Kusan

It might not be sexy but it gives you three All Star level players, one of them top 5 and some decent role players. There have been so many players in Howard's position...young, full of promise that never did **** in the NBA. Howard would have to really develop just to turn into an Alonzo Mourning type player.

Also, how can anyone that follows the NBA think the the Orlando Magic are ever going to build any kind of championship team. They will either lose Howard or put subpar players around him. They are already ****ing up by not gutting the team now because they are not going to be bad enough to get Howard a serious partner and even if they are...can you say Fan Vasquez.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Ballscientist said:
KG + Kidd = playoffs

KG + Francis = playoffs
Something tells me, that a KG/Kidd combo would be slightly more effective than a KG/Franchise combo, seeing as Kidd is 10X the NBA player that Franchise is and all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts