Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
compare NCAA and CIAU

kinda weird I always figured CIAU (Canadian unis) to be around an elite sort of D3 level. But Creighton played UBC the other day, only won by 15.. that's kind of strange eh// considering they were ranked last time I checked.

and UBC is nothing special, they're just a good team in CIAU..
my buddy's Canadian smaller college teams go play against D2 schools and get smoked by 30 or 40 usually, he says its not really competition in terms of skill..

another comparison, SFU's main star Pasha Bains (PG/SG) is now leading the league in scoring (around 25ppg) after leaving Clemson where he got about 8ppg in a couple years...

there was even a dude drafted in the Lottery out of CIAU (St. Mary's) in the 90s !! crazzy eh... too bad he was cut by the Pacers or dint do much

thoughts?

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
compare NCAA and CIAU
What's to compare. The CIAU champion, would have a hard time winning even a game in the Atlantic Sun conference. Almost all the elite Canadian players go the NCAA route since there are no or only very limited partical scholarships in Canada.

kinda weird I always figured CIAU (Canadian unis) t]o be around an elite sort of D3 level. But Creighton played UBC the other day, only won by 15.. that's kind of strange eh// considering they were ranked last time I checked.
It was an exhibition game, and Creighton probably went very deep (15+ players) into their bench,

It's an anamoly.

and UBC is nothing special, they're just a good team in CIAU..
my buddy's Canadian smaller college teams go play against D2 schools and get smoked by 30 or 40 usually, he says its not really competition in terms of skill..
Your buddy is right.

another comparison, SFU's main star Pasha Bains (PG/SG) is now leading the league in scoring (around 25ppg) after leaving Clemson where he got about 8ppg in a couple years...
Bains averaged 5.7 pts as a frosh, and 4.9 pts as a soph

there was even a dude drafted in the Lottery out of CIAU (St. Mary's) in the 90s !! crazzy eh... too bad he was cut by the Pacers or dint do much
I didn't realize that the #42 pick in the draft had become a lottery selection. Will Njoku was his name, and he was drafted in the second round.

My friend from high school, who led our team to the Ontario championsjips and who became all-conference out east in his fifth year (In Canada we are allowed to play for five years), tried hard to get a scholarship in the NCAA but there was no interest - he got an offer from the local D3 school.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
What are you two talking abote?

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!
correct me if I am wrong. From my understanding CIAU is Canada's version of NCAA's?????

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Yah, you betcha.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!
You do realize that no one in Canada says about the way you have made it sound "abote". Excpet perhaps a few east coasters.

I hape no idea how the "aboot" or "abote" thing started.

I remember when I worked in Houston, they made me say about over and over, to their disappointment. And when they said eh, I said huh or y'all. All in good fun.

I can quarantee you that Conan O'Brien, who is in Toronto next week, will say abote next week. But as I said before, I don't realize who you are making fun of - it is not Canadians.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts