Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lakers are done with KCAL/9 and Fox Sports West, and their locally broadcast games will be on the new Time Warner Cable SportsNet channel (and Time Warner Cable Deportes, the new Spanish-language sister network).

If the provider you use for TV in your household is Time Warner Cable, you're set – because that is the only cable or satellite distributor we know right now will have Lakers games.

If you have DirecTV, Dish Network, AT&T U-Verse, Verizon FiOS, Cox Cable, Charter Communications or anyone else, you could rightly feel antsy that you won't see on Oct. 1 TWC SportsNet launch day the exclusive footage already filmed of Howard's face as he put on a gold Lakers jersey for the first time in a quiet locker-room moment after all the hullaballoo of his inaugural news conference.

Or the Oct. 7 first game uniting Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Howard and Nash, as the exhibition opener is only on TWC SportsNet.

Or the Oct. 31 road opener in Portland, just the first of 70 regular-season Lakers games on TWC SportsNet.

Or ... you could rest assured that it's unfathomable that any cable or satellite provider would incur the long-term wrath of its customers by not delivering Lakers games – a sure sell even if this wasn't the season when Kobe's sixth NBA championship is closer than ever.
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/lakers-369863-cable-games.html
As of right now I would be shit out of luck. You can go to www.IwantmyLakers.com for more info to see if you're affected.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
What if we have league pass?

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
I thought this would be an Onion article or something.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
As long as you're not blacked-out, you'd be fine.
I just moved to Bakersfield. (save the jokes) I wonder if that's SoCal or not?

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure it is, Bakersfield gets games via radio so I assume it's the same for TV.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
you like them laughing at luxury taxes? this is the price you pay
You want top level talent, this is the cost. It costs money to live in LA.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
They have one month to get it done with 7 or so networks. You better hope so or there is going to be a riot all over Southern California.
This is why I think it will get done. There will be such tremendous backlash against everyone involved if the broadcasts are not widely distributed.

Also, Time Warner paid a shit ton of money for those rights. They expect to make money off the deal, which comes in the form of advertising and licensing. They dont get that money if millions of people cant watch the broadcasts.

Luckily, my friends have TW which is where I usually watch games anyway. Not that that helps anyone else.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Well unless they blackout broadband league pass laker games in
SoCal I'll be fine. I still haven't reactivated my directtv though, so I might just sign with time Warner to be safe. 80% of my TV viewing is basketball anyways and during nba season it's more like 98%. I haven't had tv since June.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Always sports bars too

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well unless they blackout broadband league pass laker games in
SoCal I'll be fine. I still haven't reactivated my directtv though, so I might just sign with time Warner to be safe. 80% of my TV viewing is basketball anyways and during nba season it's more like 98%. I haven't had tv since June.
99% sure TimeWarner isn't in Bakersfield. I found out Lakers Territory officially runs from Bakersfield to San Diego so therefore league-pass will be blacked-out up there.

And if the games aren't being broadcast period, sportsbars aren't getting them either.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Wtf? So I'm SoCal enough to be blacked out, but not SoCal enough to get timewarner?

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Southern California is split between tons of cable carriers. That's why this is a story to begin with because until they agree we're SOL.

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
There is a similar situation happening in San Diego with the Padres only having their games on broadcasted in homes with Cox Cable.

Hopefully the pressure from our large fan base will force them to get this done.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have TWC but there's no info on whether it's including in their non-sports packages. I hope so because I don't want to pay extra.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've heard it might cause an increase in Cable bills of $2-5. Not sure if that's definite or not however.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts