Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4041 - 4060 of 4088 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Is football a revenue sport for universities at our level, or a drag on the budget? It would seem like an expensive sport to maintain. It also appears to be an inhibiting factor for otherwise sensible conference realignments. But I don't know much about it.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,042
Is football a revenue sport for universities at our level, or a drag on the budget? It would seem like an expensive sport to maintain. It also appears to be an inhibiting factor for otherwise sensible conference realignments. But I don't know much about it.
It's a niche sport that works well on some campuses. Although it loses money at Maine and UNH.....I think that both schools place a premium value on the exposure, atmosphere and money (indirectly) that it brings in. I for one can't imagine not having football in Orono. It is absolutely the best time of the year (Sept/Oct) to be on campus.....I would rarely ever venture past Bangor if it weren't for Black Bear Football home games.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ironically, CCSU and UConn share some similarities - both are "basketball first" schools, with highly subsidized athletic programs. We both have football teams that are important to our identity, but bring significant budget and conference impacts.

Ironically, UConn chooses re-join an athletic conference comprised solely of private, Catholic universities. As the only public school in the Big East, UConn has a strong history with these schools as a founding member back in 1979. They are very pleased to be back there because the schools share a common interest in basketball. They will try their best at Independent FBS football; and if it becomes too difficult (or expensive) to continue they will likely just drop the sport and focus on the sports that they think they can win National Championships - Field Hockey; M&W Soccer; M&W Basketball; M&W Hockey.

CCSU is also the only public university in their conference - the NEC. However, if you ask most fans we'd don't fit and would much rather be in a conference with Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Of course, that is the Northern New England core of UConn's pre-1979 affiliation - the Yankee Conference.

Personally, as a CCSU fan, I would love to follow UConn's lead and join the conference that is best fit for our basketball program (America East) and then just figure football out. Sure, it would probably mean joining the Big South as a football affiliate or cobbling together an Indy schedule without AQ access. I don't think the CCSU Administration shares my opinion.

I think there are 2 things preventing CCSU from joining America East:
1) CCSU has never been offered an invitation to join
2) Football is a concern - we don't want to drop the sport or give up the stability of a conference schedule and AQ access.

I think there are possibilities for them, if they were extended an invitation.
no guarantee the conference they are in now would kick them and would keep them as a football only. The Pioneer Conference where Marist went,
they would have a local opponent, but so heavy travel. If JMU were to leave the CAA. They might receive a football only invite. Would then give the AE 5 teams. Just some possibilities.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I would love to see CCSU in the America East! They fit in beautifully but from looking at their ooc schedule aren’t they already in the league ��. I also would hope for a school near UMBC so they have a travel partner.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
It's a niche sport that works well on some campuses. Although it loses money at Maine and UNH.....I think that both schools place a premium value on the exposure, atmosphere and money (indirectly) that it brings in. I for one can't imagine not having football in Orono. It is absolutely the best time of the year (Sept/Oct) to be on campus.....I would rarely ever venture past Bangor if it weren't for Black Bear Football home games.
I'm on the other side, and would be pretty pleased if football went away.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,046
I'm on the other side, and would be pretty pleased if football went away.
I'd get rid of hockey before football. Hockey is a complete waste of money and is the reason why the basketball programs do not have an on-campus arena and play in Orono.

·
Premium Member
33,099 Posts
I echo this. Please elaborate on why SBU is unhappy
I don't think it's as much about dissatisfaction with the AE generally as much as it is about a desire to be more than what they are currently.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't think it's as much about dissatisfaction with the AE generally as much as it is about a desire to be more than what they are currently.
That is all good, but a lot of that is on them. They need to keep their coaches and players. Sure, a more competitive conference might make that easier, but its not like they are dominating AE hoops. They have been good, and some years great by AE standards, and certainly the bottom half of the league is bringing the top half down, but until SBU is head an shoulders above the rest of the league, I don't think they have a lot to gripe about.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is official Uconn back to the big east for most sports and independent in football starting the 2020-2021 academic year. They will also pay a pretty hefty buyout of $17 million.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
It is official Uconn back to the big east for most sports and independent in football starting the 2020-2021 academic year. They will also pay a pretty hefty buyout of $17 million.
$17M to leave AAC (would have been $10M with 27 month notice)
$3.5M to join Big East
$20.5M total cost to switch conferences

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
$17M to leave AAC (would have been $10M with 27 month notice)
$3.5M to join Big East
$20.5M total cost to switch conferences
Best money they have spent in years.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Although it is unlikely to impact the AE, the University of New Haven is exploring a move to D-I. However, I do have a feeling the NEC might be interested. :(

Per the Hartford Courant:
The University of New Haven has hired Sheahon Zenger as athletic director and the school will explore the possibility of moving to Division I, according to a source.

Zenger, who was the athletic director at Kansas in 2011-18, will be introduced during a press conference Thursday morning.

New Haven is currently a Division II program. A move would require major facilities upgrades and various other investments and expenses. The football program would participate at the Division I FCS level.
https://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-sp-university-new-haven-sheahon-zenger-20190904-20190904-gtansaqirvh43nj4wveqg327vu-story.html

And from the New Haven Register:
WEST HAVEN — The University of New Haven has found its new athletic director, hiring former University of Kansas AD Sheahon Zenger.

The school will introduce Zenger at a 10 a.m. press conference Thursday. The hiring of a former Division I administrator is a sign the school is upgrading athletics, which could include a move to Division I from Division II.

He will replace former NFL coach Chris Palmer, who retired in June.

“I came to interview about two and a half weeks ago. I came for two days and stayed for seven. I fell in love with the place,” Zenger told Hearst Connecticut Media Wednesday. “I was attracted to President (Steven) Kaplan, his leadership, the trajectory of the institution — all the stuff you know about. It’s easy to get excited about.”

Zenger led the Kansas athletic department from 2011 to 2018. He was fired in May 2018, as school chancellor Douglas Girod said in a letter to school staff that “progress in key areas has been elusive.”

Since then, he has worked as a consult at TCU and has coached high school football in Kansas.
https://www.nhregister.com/sports/article/New-Haven-hiring-former-Kansas-AD-Sheahon-Zenger-14413923.php

·
Registered
167 Posts
The summit league has invited St. Thomas (MN) to join straight from D3 where the Tommies were kicked out of their conference for being too dominant. This would require and NCAA waiver because they would be skipping d2.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
The summit league has invited St. Thomas (MN) to join straight from D3 where the Tommies were kicked out of their conference for being too dominant. This would require and NCAA waiver because they would be skipping d2.
That is an excellent school and if they committed the resources and built/upgraded facilities to compete at the D-I level, I don't think it would take long for them to be very competitive and to outgrow the Summit.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Doesn’t seem fair to just kick a school out for being too dominant. Is there more to the story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Too many other schools in the conference were threatening to leave because the Tommies dominate so completely.
Easier to lose one team than all the rest.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Doesn’t seem fair to just kick a school out for being too dominant. Is there more to the story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There were a number of issues.

#1 they weren't just dominant, they were jerks about it. They were perceived to be running up the score in football games unnecessarily, and when grumbling started, reacted by beating St. Olaf 97-0. It also wasn't necessary- St. Thomas had the autobid wrapped up. And St. Olaf was 3-5 in conference, so it wasn't even an 0-8 disaster of an opponent.

#2 the size and scope of the school had changed. St. Thomas now has over 6,200 students. The only other school over 3,000 is a women's college (St. Catharine) at 3,100. St. Thomas also was perceived to be admitting athletes that the other schools couldn't or wouldn't get in.

So, the other schools in the conference (likely excepting St. John's) all decided to leave and form their own conference unless St. Thomas agreed to leave. Hence, they left "unvoluntarily" but still left.

Basically, it's like the rest of the NESCAC woke up one day and realized that Middlebury had slowly doubled enrollment and started ignoring academic standards for its athletes and hadn't lost in a decade.

4041 - 4060 of 4088 Posts