Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4061 - 4080 of 4359 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
There were a number of issues.

#1 they weren't just dominant, they were jerks about it. They were perceived to be running up the score in football games unnecessarily, and when grumbling started, reacted by beating St. Olaf 97-0. It also wasn't necessary- St. Thomas had the autobid wrapped up. And St. Olaf was 3-5 in conference, so it wasn't even an 0-8 disaster of an opponent.

#2 the size and scope of the school had changed. St. Thomas now has over 6,200 students. The only other school over 3,000 is a women's college (St. Catharine) at 3,100. St. Thomas also was perceived to be admitting athletes that the other schools couldn't or wouldn't get in.

So, the other schools in the conference (likely excepting St. John's) all decided to leave and form their own conference unless St. Thomas agreed to leave. Hence, they left "unvoluntarily" but still left.

Basically, it's like the rest of the NESCAC woke up one day and realized that Middlebury had slowly doubled enrollment and started ignoring academic standards for its athletes and hadn't lost in a decade.
so, like Tufts?

·
Registered
542 Posts
As some one who (despite my username) went to a certain Nescac in Maine, I will say this:
1. Tufts is from a an acedemic/size standpoint not like the other NESCACs. Nearly 6,000 undergrads and robust grad/medical/dental schools. Wesleyan and Middlebury might have slightly higher enrollments than the other nescacs, but they’re still liberal arts colleges....no engineering programs, no meaningful grad schools, etc.
2. Tufts is not that good at sports. They may have been “dominant in soccer” for a year or two, but when it comes to both the big NESCAC sports (hockey first, then football....then men’s basketball) as well as ancillary sports (which men’s soccer is one) they’re mediocre at best.
3. Middlebury is better, but not dominant. The most dominant schools are, somewhat ironically, Williams and Trinity. Williams is the Harvard of nescacs. They’re the most relevant, biggest endowment, the most elite, etc. and their athletics department is able to leverage that in recruitment (plus have greater resources). Trinity is on the other end of things (in the cellar with Conn College when it comes to academic prowess) but theyre willing to dramatically waive admissions requirements for athletes at a level the other nescacs will not do.

I don’t think any of the NESCACs offer a good analogy of the St Thomas MN situation. Furthermore, none of them would ever consider a move to D1 (though even then, a waiver to move directly to D1 would be more likely than stopping in D2).

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,066
Colby will have the best athletic facilities in the NESCAC very soon......their new complex is a $200 million monster of steel & glass. If they had more seating at each of their facilities.....they would be tops in America East.

·
Premium Member
33,143 Posts
As some one who (despite my username) went to a certain Nescac in Maine, I will say this:
1. Tufts is from a an acedemic/size standpoint not like the other NESCACs. Nearly 6,000 undergrads and robust grad/medical/dental schools. Wesleyan and Middlebury might have slightly higher enrollments than the other nescacs, but they’re still liberal arts colleges....no engineering programs, no meaningful grad schools, etc.
2. Tufts is not that good at sports. They may have been “dominant in soccer” for a year or two, but when it comes to both the big NESCAC sports (hockey first, then football....then men’s basketball) as well as ancillary sports (which men’s soccer is one) they’re mediocre at best.
3. Middlebury is better, but not dominant. The most dominant schools are, somewhat ironically, Williams and Trinity. Williams is the Harvard of nescacs. They’re the most relevant, biggest endowment, the most elite, etc. and their athletics department is able to leverage that in recruitment (plus have greater resources). Trinity is on the other end of things (in the cellar with Conn College when it comes to academic prowess) but theyre willing to dramatically waive admissions requirements for athletes at a level the other nescacs will not do.

I don’t think any of the NESCACs offer a good analogy of the St Thomas MN situation. Furthermore, none of them would ever consider a move to D1 (though even then, a waiver to move directly to D1 would be more likely than stopping in D2).
Tufts is currently dominant in men's soccer. NCAA D3 National Champions in 2014, 2016, 2018 and is #1 in the country and undefeated YTD. But overall, Tufts athletics not at the level of Williams/Amherst/Midd, although it's been more successful recently I still don't think it's a huge priority at the school.

Sports in the NESCAC is effectively Williams- which dominates in life and sport- then Amherst and Middlebury vying for second/third. Everyone else jockeying for the rest.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tufts is currently dominant in men's soccer. NCAA D3 National Champions in 2014, 2016, 2018 and is #1 in the country and undefeated YTD. But overall, Tufts athletics not at the level of Williams/Amherst/Midd, although it's been more successful recently I still don't think it's a huge priority at the school.

Sports in the NESCAC is effectively Williams- which dominates in life and sport- then Amherst and Middlebury vying for second/third. Everyone else jockeying for the rest.
2019 D3 Leerfield Directors' Cup final ranking:
1-Williams
2-Johns Hopkins
3-Washington-St. Louis
4-Middlebury
5-Emory
6-MIT
7-Tufts
8-Amherst
9-Chicago
10-Wisc. Eau Claire
11-St. Thomas

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Tufts is currently dominant in men's soccer. NCAA D3 National Champions in 2014, 2016, 2018 and is #1 in the country and undefeated YTD.
It's all because of that Middlebury education their head coach received, too!

Got a feeling that St. Thomas will get a waiver, especially if they can get their hockey sorted, might have an invite to that new league of the WCHA defectors as the 8th member?

Whether or not you agree with the antics/enrollment/admission standards, getting asked to leave a league because you can steamroll everyone else in football is very 2019.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's all because of that Middlebury education their head coach received, too!

Got a feeling that St. Thomas will get a waiver, especially if they can get their hockey sorted, might have an invite to that new league of the WCHA defectors as the 8th member?

Whether or not you agree with the antics/enrollment/admission standards, getting asked to leave a league because you can steamroll everyone else in football is very 2019.
I hope players on the other conference teams all get participation trophies.

·
Registered
169 Posts
They have until the 2021-2022 school year to make the move, however they can leave before then if they find a home. Honestly I just hope it gets resolved soon. Couldn't imagine trying to recruit right now.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Putting this here because it will get the most conversation, but this is interesting...

Have to wonder who are the forces behind this (I'm putting money on UVM, UNH, Maine and maybe Lowell wanting to push it toward the AE banner making it easier for them to go to admin meetings and stuff) but I have to imagine their priorities are vastly different from UMass, UConn, Providence and Boston College...I'm sure BU, Northeastern and Merrimack have some thoughts as well.

They tried this before a long time ago I think and didn't go through. It'd be similar to CAA football as most people here know if it happened. The comments of people totally missing the point iand thinking these teams would form a new all-sports conference in that tweet replies is hilarious though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
What would that mean if something happened? HE schools disperse into different conferences? AE tries to get HE schools to join AE? What is most likely to happen?

·
Premium Member
33,143 Posts
BU back to the AE for AE Hockey? THAT would be something. I’d LOL.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
What would that mean if something happened? HE schools disperse into different conferences? AE tries to get HE schools to join AE? What is most likely to happen?
All it means is that Hockey East would move its administration into a pre-existing all-sports conference. Number of reasons why: save on cost, larger pool of resources. It wouldn't force teams to move into different conferences. It'd be just like CAA Football which has 5 full-sport CAA members (James Madison, Delaware, Elon, William & Mary, Towson) and its remaining members are spread between three different all-sports conferences (Albany/Maine/Stony Brook/UNH in the AE, Richmond and URI in the A10 and Villanova in the Big East).

Given that you have 4 current AE members in Hockey East, you might be able to convince the remaining 7 teams to allow the AE to administer hockey under its umbrella. However, there's lots of different priorities. I do not envision this conference breaking up its membership because its current membership is sensible and beneficial for everyone, but I think they probably want a better sense of security because being a single-standalone sport conference these days is tough. We shall see.

Edit: if this did happen, Hockey East would get an instant upgrade in how its original and social media content is handled. They currently run theirs as if they believe "the internet is a fad" or "intern finds solid photoshop template." The AE does a pretty good job. By no means perfect, but it's professional and they put some effort into creating their design standards and branding. You can see for yourself comparing Instagrams (I mean, last Hockey East post has "grandma uploads phone video" vibes:

·
5,985 Posts
From the day they dropped football, which is why they left the AE for the CAA in the first place, I will never understand why Northeastern and Hofstra look down on the AE.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
159 Posts
We have one of the top club teams in the nation but I don’t think that we’ll be making the jump. Especially since Cheapo Cuomo is a roadblock to our monetary needs.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Here's the follow up article from USCHO...lotta sources, but it's something:

I'm convinced that UVM is among those that wants Hockey East to move into the all-sports/AE banner. It's just the kind of move their leadership is all about. One note in the article that is important: being under an all-sports conference allows you to have more say in NCAA legislation. The Big Ten is the only conference that sponsors hockey and it's an advantage to them if they wish to propose rule changes and legislation that would impact hockey that the others don't really have a say as standalone conferences.

It's a good idea in theory...I simply don't see the Providence, UConn and BCs being onboard with it...and BC is the crown jewel of the league and Providence is the league's last national champ so when arguably the two most influential teams in the league probably are against it, all likelihood it goes nowhere.

Article also mentions Sacred Heart building a new 4,000 seat on campus hockey facility with the whole 12th member talk. They're playing really well right now, so maybe. They could add their women's team too which would put the women's league at 11 since they're in that weird ass new league that St. Mike's is a part of. Also, Bobby Valentine's second act as an AD...going really well? Sacred Heart seems like they're actually decent at sports now.

·
5,985 Posts
Boston University was a member until the summer of 2013 and, sources say, the split was an amicable one.
Really? Because I remember everyone throwing a party.

I agree that one thing Hockey East needs to change is getting its product out there, especially compared to, as mentioned, the NCHC and Big Ten. As someone who doesn't have a rooting interest in college hockey but still want to watch, I can see Big Ten Hockey on ESPN, BTN and NBCSN, NCHC on CBSSN and NBCSN, and CHL on NHLN. There are occasional streams of other conferences, including Hockey East and ECAC, but I can get similar quality watching club ACHA on Youtube, and that's the problem. Hockey fans outside traditional areas already feel like they aren't respected by those in traditional markets (especially with idiotic blog posts like this), and not being able to watch the future of your NHL team because we don't get NESN doesn't help.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Really? Because I remember everyone throwing a party.

I agree that one thing Hockey East needs to change is getting its product out there, especially compared to, as mentioned, the NCHC and Big Ten. As someone who doesn't have a rooting interest in college hockey but still want to watch, I can see Big Ten Hockey on ESPN, BTN and NBCSN, NCHC on CBSSN and NBCSN, and CHL on NHLN. There are occasional streams of other conferences, including Hockey East and ECAC, but I can get similar quality watching club ACHA on Youtube, and that's the problem. Hockey fans outside traditional areas already feel like they aren't respected by those in traditional markets (especially with idiotic blog posts like this), and not being able to watch the future of your NHL team because we don't get NESN doesn't help.
Re BU: time heals all wounds if you can call it that. For the fellow hockey schools they've gotten along just fine. Had to co-exist anyway and most of them play them in other sports too. I think replacing them with Lowell eased that, and probably putting an end to the "will they won't they" that happened in the era of realignment.

I don't have all the details but Hockey East was on NBCSN soley because of Notre Dame bringing that deal along because they have a deal with NBC for football and since NBC carries hockey, they added it up. Put all the eggs in that basket and got burned the moment Notre Dame saw an out to go to the Big 10 and ever since they've not had a national TV presence. This is a league that really missed the boat on streaming and reading the market for their product. This a league that thought FloSports was a good idea and they use CBS All-Access now, but that's not a needle mover yet until it actually lands more valueable sports properties...even with adding Champions League in 2021. Jean Luc Picard ain't enough to entice me either.

Hockey East really just needs a leader that lives in this century...or they do need to join up with a conference that has a clue (and the AE by all accounts does understand branding and I think we'll all agree the schools secured a good basketball deal with ESPN streaming)

4061 - 4080 of 4359 Posts