Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4081 - 4088 of 4088 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
There are 11 teams in the conference and 4 America East members, where the heck are the other two votes coming from, presuming this only needs a simple majority?

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
How long is Amy going to lead the AE as well? I feel like she's been the best commish the conference has had. Have to imagine she's going to be moving onwards and upwards at some point; she's pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
There are 11 teams in the conference and 4 America East members, where the heck are the other two votes coming from, presuming this only needs a simple majority?
Probably Merrimack could be easily persuaded. Out of that remaining 6...maybe UMass Amherst would be willing to since they partner with other leagues (CAA Lax - maybe they'd be willing to trade for AE Lax which is just as good if not better than CAA Lax I believe and on a lot stronger footing).

Or you've got the nightmare scenario where the 4 AE schools + Merrimack are pushing this and the UConn/UMass/Providence/BU/BC/Northeastern group says eff this, 6 is enough to start our own damn conference, much like WCHA did to boot the Alaska schools and Alabama Huntsville, leaving the AE grouping screwed and having to poach from Atlantic Hockey to fill out a new league. Extremely low chance of this happening (I don't think those schools really want to be without UNH and Maine) but in theory, it could.

·
Gr8t Dane
685 Posts
There hasn't been much news about this lately, but how does D1 athletes being able to get paid for their likeness fall into all this?

I could see a scenario where we start to see some conferences merging to pool resources and better compete.

·
5,807 Posts
There hasn't been much news about this lately, but how does D1 athletes being able to get paid for their likeness fall into all this?

I could see a scenario where we start to see some conferences merging to pool resources and better compete.
I think the NCAA is trying to figure that out themselves, which is why none of this went into effect right away. They're trying to figure out a way to not create an even bigger talent gap, and I think if any player gets paid, it would come from outside sources, i.e. local commercials from sponsors, social media income and, (please God) the return of the video games.

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,086
I'm not sure what the big deal is here with this AE/Hockey East thing. Does it really matter which league it is? Would teams REALLY leave because of a name change? I don't think that the hockey fortunes of any of the 11 members are going to c change because the patch on their uniform says America East instead of Hockey East. The people that thumb their noses at this league are a joke. Take a look at the other schools......BC, UMass, UConn....all are becoming a shell of their former athletic selves because they ended up in f'd up conference situations because of football.......yet they have the gall to throw darts at AE? This league has become the most stable league on the East Coast which is truly ironic! BU....who cares? The Patriot has done nothing for them athletically.....their women's programs have gone down the tubes since they left AE. Northeastern.....well all 17 of their fans probably would support them no matter which league they were/are in. Merrimack......yeah, they have a ton of bargaining power.....NOT!

If 2 of the 3 SUNYs started hockey programs.....I would fully support Maine, UNH, Vermont and Lowell bolting HE to form a 6 team hockey conference.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Update on the AE/Hockey East thing. Sounds unlikely. The AE made a pitch to share marketing, web hosting and office space, and that might be as far as it goes.

From the article below:

"The commissioner search could be complicated by the involvement of an all-sport conference, though sources tell CHN that is highly unlikely. Hockey East's athletic directors recently heard a pitch from America East, to share resources such as marketing, office space and web hosting. While sharing resources remains a possibility, sources said any agreement with America East, if there is any, wouldn't go beyond that.

"(Other schools) give this (idea) a big eye roll and single out Lowell as pushing that agenda," a source told CHN."

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,088
Update on the AE/Hockey East thing. Sounds unlikely. The AE made a pitch to share marketing, web hosting and office space, and that might be as far as it goes.

From the article below:

"The commissioner search could be complicated by the involvement of an all-sport conference, though sources tell CHN that is highly unlikely. Hockey East's athletic directors recently heard a pitch from America East, to share resources such as marketing, office space and web hosting. While sharing resources remains a possibility, sources said any agreement with America East, if there is any, wouldn't go beyond that.

"(Other schools) give this (idea) a big eye roll and single out Lowell as pushing that agenda," a source told CHN."

Good for Lowell!

4081 - 4088 of 4088 Posts