Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4281 - 4300 of 4340 Posts

·
Examiner
724 Posts
Man... MEAC is done I guess. Before NJIT came, I would have strongly favored Howard as AE candidate. Research institution, name recognition, albeit private and bad facilities. However, now NJIT, an R1 university, new facilities, fits right in though...perfect 10 round number. I still wouldn’t mind Howard but has to come with another right school...which I don’t see. None of the other MEAC schools are attractive. May be with Covid19, this is the right time to talk to Northeastern and Drexel and convince one.. would save tons of money in AE.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Rumor tonight that Delaware State will join the NEC. The MEAC appears to be all done. Interesting for Delaware State to join a mainly private school league. I don't get why people wouldn't want Morgan State in the AE. If I had my choice I would make a call to Howard and Morgan State and see if there was interest for the 2021 season. It's been 15 years and people are still waiting for the old AE schools to come back home.

·
Examiner
724 Posts
MEAC is sinking faster than I thought. Howard to Patriot is a possibility per twitter rumor/gossip

It's been 15 years and people are still waiting for the old AE schools to come back home.
lol I just have nostalgic memories of NOT playing them in conference ;) everyone talks about them coming back all the time 🤷‍♂️

tbh I think 10 probably is the right number for AE

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think it would be great to add a couple more solid programs in that geographical area. It would create a much better balance in team locations and might open the opportunity for two 6-team divisions that would help with travel. You could play the 5 teams in your division twice and the other 6 once on a rotational home/home basis. Same 16 game schedule as we’ve had.

The 10 we have are great, but if it was the right fit, I think we could accommodate two more.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think it would be great to add a couple more solid programs in that geographical area. It would create a much better balance in team locations and might open the opportunity for two 6-team divisions that would help with travel. You could play the 5 teams in your division twice and the other 6 once on a rotational home/home basis. Same 16 game schedule as we’ve had.

The 10 we have are great, but if it was the right fit, I think we could accommodate two more.
I feel like this would create the kind of savings that people were talking about in the other thread about Travel Partners, etc.

In this hypothetical scenario...
America East North
Hartford, Maine, New Hampshire, UMass-Lowell, Vermont and ????

America East South
Albany, Binghamton, NJIT, Stony Brook, UMBC and ????

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Rumor tonight that Delaware State will join the NEC. The MEAC appears to be all done. Interesting for Delaware State to join a mainly private school league. I don't get why people wouldn't want Morgan State in the AE. If I had my choice I would make a call to Howard and Morgan State and see if there was interest for the 2021 season. It's been 15 years and people are still waiting for the old AE schools to come back home.
I doubt Delaware State will be invited to the NEC alone, as that would give us 11 schools. It is likely Morgan State also joins the NEC with DSU.

I think the AE and NEC would be very interested in Howard, but I think they join a more Southern-based league with Norfolk State. Maybe ASUN or Big South.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I feel like this would create the kind of savings that people were talking about in the other thread about Travel Partners, etc.

In this hypothetical scenario...
America East North
Hartford, Maine, New Hampshire, UMass-Lowell, Vermont and ????

America East South
Albany, Binghamton, NJIT, Stony Brook, UMBC and ????
CCSU and Howard :)

Personally, I would love that, but I think the AE will just stay at 10 and the MEAC schools will join the NEC, Big South, ASUN, SWAC, and/or D-II

·
5,979 Posts
With the fact that the AE is a one-bid league, which gives them a set $ income from the NCAA Tournament, I think it might be too dangerous to split the pie more than 10 if that pie doesn't grow.

All this talk about the MEAC coming apart, it's unfortunate given what's been going on in this country. ESPN just posted an article about higher-level prospects giving HBCU schools a serious look.

·
5,979 Posts
MEAC front office is having a press conference tomorrow morning. There are some circles trying to push some of the remaining MEAC schools, including all 3 Maryland teams, to D2 CIAA.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congrats to all of the future bubble teams who will now get an at-large bid at the MEAC's demise. Enjoy the trip to Dayton.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
MEAC front office is having a press conference tomorrow morning. There are some circles trying to push some of the remaining MEAC schools, including all 3 Maryland teams, to D2 CIAA.
I think it is unlikely that Coppin State and UMES survive this and remain D-I. I just don't see a conference willing to extend them an invite.

But Morgan State may have a chance, especially if they "pair up" with Delaware State or Howard. I think it is possible they could join the NEC with DSU.

Howard is the remaining crown jewel of the MEAC, but I have a hard time seeing them in the Patriot. The AE is not likely because of football, and the same reason keeps them out of the CAA. Again, I think the NEC would be a willing partner, but I doubt HU wants to go that direction unless they have some partners like DSU, Morgan State, and Norfolk State. All 4 make a crowded NEC stretching the entire Amtrak Regional from Boston to Norfolk, but it is possible. That would be 14 teams fighting for 1 AQ - not ideal at all. Unless the NCAA adjusted their conference payouts, I'm not a huge fan of this possibly.

NC Central and SC State either find homes in the ASUN or Big South, or will have to consider D2.

Overall this sucks for MEAC schools and I feel for them. Reminds me of the demise of the ECC in 1992 :(

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
With the fact that the AE is a one-bid league, which gives them a set $ income from the NCAA Tournament, I think it might be too dangerous to split the pie more than 10 if that pie doesn't grow.
I've mentioned this before over the years when discussing AE expansion: there's only so much money to split. So unless you're adding membership that actively drives up revenue (the most obvious way would be a 2nd tournament bid, which there is no school that's ever been seriously on our radar that does that), we're just feeding more mouths from the same small bowl. I understand the "protection" tactic: build up membership numbers in preparation of having your membership poached. But maybe I'm naive, but I don't think the AE is really threatened right now in that way, especially now that we're at 10.

The "mouths to feed" argument is important when we talk about how the MEAC is "done" (which, it might very well be). There's still 8 schools left. Yeah, people like Howard. And yeah, maybe Delaware State might have a slight geographic draw for the right place. But that's a lot of schools to find homes, and they're looking at a lot of leagues who are a lot like the AE: possibly thinking they're good right where they are.

·
Examiner
724 Posts
Some good points. I didn’t consider the football side at all! And talking about $pie, I guess thats a great point... the remaining 8 members may find it better to just stick together and have “less mouth to feed”. Also their travel cost will go down too, now that the footprint is much more compact.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
With the current social-political environment, Howard to the Patriot League makes all the sense in the world. Makes sense for Howard, makes sense for the PL and makes sense for the PL schools. I don't know anything about the rumor mills, but if the opportunity is really there for Howard then they absolutely have to seize the moment.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Another thing to consider, depending on what league they end up in: some of these MEAC schools are going to have to up their budgets to compete department-wide. Disclaimer: we know the OPE numbers are not the end-all be-all, but a lot of these schools have pretty paltry budgets, especially when you take football expenses out of the equation (i.e. how much do they spend on AE-sponsored sports?). A tough conversation anyway, even tougher in 2020.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Note to self: don't write long logical arguments against SWAC membership for a school that promptly joins the SWAC a week later. Excuse me, I'm going to reverse course and go to the UVM thread and talk about the team's at large chances now.

4281 - 4300 of 4340 Posts