Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4301 - 4320 of 4340 Posts

·
5,979 Posts

According to this thread following the press conference, the MEAC, which falls below the minimum members for baseball, was given a two-year grace period by the NCAA to add a new member if the entire conference beyond baseball falls below that minimum.

This press conference reminds me of when the Big East was falling apart in 2003 when every school that bounced told the front office five minutes earlier that they were staying.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Howard to the Patriot League seems unlikely because:

1) The men's basketball team was 4-29 last year.
2) The Patriot League already has a presence in D.C.

but most importantly...

3) There is already a school with a bison mascot -- is there a conference that has two schools with the same mascot?

·
5,979 Posts
Howard to the Patriot League seems unlikely because:

1) The men's basketball team was 4-29 last year.
2) The Patriot League already has a presence in D.C.

but most importantly...

3) There is already a school with a bison mascot -- is there a conference that has two schools with the same mascot?
The SEC.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The SWAC has 3 sets of Tigers, and the Southland has a pair of Cardinals. I feel like there's a double-Wildcat situation out there, but I'm too tired to look it up...or it's possible I imagined it.
Three sets of Rams in the A-10 - Rhode Island, Fordham, and VCU (in order of joining).
Obviously I did not think this through. I still wouldn't want to be in the same conference as St. Francis (NY) or Wofford.

·
Examiner
724 Posts
A10 won’t even look at us with only one trip to dance under our belt. If they really reach for an AE team, it would probably be UVM. It’s a shame with the transfers we just suffered... we really could have had our second dance with that roster.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
159 Posts
Yeah I’m resentful at those players who transferred. But UVM is pretty outside the rest of the A10’s footprint and doesn’t offer much in terms of non-basketball sports. Not to mention population.

·
Examiner
724 Posts
A10 doesn’t care about footprint... they have a team in Saint Louis 🙄

Regarding the players who transferred, I’m not resentful but I do think they made pretty poor decisions. I would understand if they went to a blue blood program, or even a second tier program guaranteed to go to the tourney. But ended up at Cal, Miami and Georgia. They would have had just as much if not better chance to go to the dance if they stayed here together.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
159 Posts
At the end of the day, they left because they thought the America East wasn’t good enough for them. Which is a damning indictment of this conference and Stony Brook, by proxy. Stony Brook should see its current place as unacceptable - if they’re complacent with America East, they’re a part of the problem and I want the admins gone.

·
Examiner
724 Posts
I don’t think conference is the problem...we just have to agree to disagree.

I can see your resentment to AE.. but like it or not we are not going anywhere anytime soon. A10 invite ain't coming....pipe dream. We already got what we need out of CAA in football membership... who wants to go to Elon and Charleston. We don’t need to seek new home. If we can elevate our program where we are and stand out, opportunities will come knocking.

·
Registered
779 Posts
A10 doesn’t care about footprint... they have a team in Saint Louis 🙄

Regarding the players who transferred, I’m not resentful but I do think they made pretty poor decisions. I would understand if they went to a blue blood program, or even a second tier program guaranteed to go to the tourney. But ended up at Cal, Miami and Georgia. They would have had just as much if not better chance to go to the dance if they stayed here together.
Maybe getting to ”the dance” and playing one game Vs playing in a Power 5 Conference, against the big boys all season long. If I’m a player, the latter is clearly better.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Just a thought regarding the A-10. I'm sure there are others who are more informed (like, fans of A-10 schools), but my thought has always been: they have 14 schools. Even if they were to shed a couple for various reasons, they may not necessarily be eager to run out and get back to 14. They may find 12 workable, or the A-10 might even be ok with (gasp!) 10 schools.

·
5,979 Posts
In the future, I can see Saint Louis leaving for obvious reasons; for where, I don’t know. In addition to Fordham being out of their league, another school in that bracket would be LaSalle. Wasn’t there a story 5-10 years ago about how they needed to divest in several properties and buildings they owned just to stay afloat? Those two could easily move down to the Patriot.

As said above, I don’t see the A10 moving back up to 14 if they lose members, either.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I have read a few different articles regarding the MEAC. They have hired a firm to help them keep their remaining members as well as to assist in finding new members. From everything I have looked at, it appears they are open to adding non-HBCU's but also that they are turning their attention to D-II schools, such as Virginia State and Bowie State. That has been traditionally where they have turned, but the results have been tough seeing as Winston Salem State and Savannah State both didn't last and reverted back to D-II. With this COVID situation as well as the financial crisis going on, I don't see how any D-II school can even think about entertaining moving up and spending extra money they just don't have.

If Delaware State does, in fact, leave, then I think the MEAC will most likely be shuttering the doors. This is not the right time to be trying to convince schools to be making the jump up to Division I athletics. By the way, has there been any confirmation on Del State leaving or is it still just speculation?

4301 - 4320 of 4340 Posts