Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4341 - 4353 of 4353 Posts

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Adding NJIT reduces the possible number of OOC games for each AE team by 2, and that seems like plenty to me. To raise the conference level we have to beat more OOC teams, and the fewer the games the fewer the chances. We don't want our OOC games all to be $ game losses. We need to show that we can beat other low- to mid-majors to be rated higher.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Why add more schools? 10 is a great number. Adding more only makes the NCAA bid harder for each school and dilutes the NCAA payout. I love the NJIT add, as 9 always bugged me with the bye week and it fills a geographical gap between UMBC and the rest of the league, but I think we are now good.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Dude has a name. Makur Maker was attempting to gain eligibility for the 2020 draft. Chose Howard over UCLA. Maybe this means Mikey Williams does the same.
Certainly wild to see a guy of that caliber head to a one-bid league.

But you don't even have to be that much of a cynic to raise an eyebrow when a Top 20 prospect, who has been to 5 high schools and is handled by an unrelated guardian, commits to a school that went 4-29 in one of the weakest one-bid leagues in the country. That feels like a training scenario they give recruits at NCAA Compliance Academy.

·
Registered
332 Posts

But you don't even have to be that much of a cynic to raise an eyebrow when a Top 20 prospect, who has been to 5 high schools and is handled by an unrelated guardian, commits to a school that went 4-29 in one of the weakest one-bid leagues in the country. That feels like a training scenario they give recruits at NCAA Compliance Academy.
Maybe I'm just a glass-half-full guy and hope that the BLM movement is causing players to use their power to bring attention to bigger issues at hand.

·
5,981 Posts

I posted this article in one of the other threads, but yeah, plenty of players are looking at HBCU’s due to the ongoing social upheaval in this country.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Yeah. The last guy I remember with this much hype going to a weak basketball school in a one-bid league was when Adonal Foyle went to Colgate. Just a slightly different backstory there...

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I posted this article in one of the other threads, but yeah, plenty of players are looking at HBCU’s due to the ongoing social upheaval in this country.

Yeah, I've seen the stories recently. And certainly there's more legs to it when it involves a player like Makur Maker (making a 2020 decision), as opposed to someone like Mikey Williams (while high-profile, has so much real estate in front of him between now and any kind of college decision...or a deciding that college isn't even necessary).

I'm not trying to insinuate anything nefarious. I just think Maker specifically is a real interesting "trailblazer," especially considering all of the sizzle around the recruitments of past Maker cousins that ultimately led to no steak for high major programs (either opting for the NBA or to play internationally). This may very well be an earnest, socially-conscious attempt to start a trend and highlight the benefits of an HBCU education to young African-American men. That doesn't necessarily mean that's all it is.

Howard certainly comes to this from a position of strength, as a high-quality academic institution.

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
Even if Maker goes pro, I think it’s a BFD for Howard. And if he goes there for a year they will be getting a lot of publicity.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Even if Maker goes pro, I think it’s a BFD for Howard. And if he goes there for a year they will be getting a lot of publicity.
Definitely worth noting too that Kenny Blakeney was an assistant at Harvard at the dawn of their most recent recruiting awakening, so if there's anyone positioned to pitch how to use your academic brand to make gains on the court it's him.

Side note on Howard for Vermonters: one of their assistants is Jake Brown, former stand-out Middlebury College point guard.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yeah. The last guy I remember with this much hype going to a weak basketball school in a one-bid league was when Adonal Foyle went to Colgate. Just a slightly different backstory there...
Ray McCallum Jr. was a 2010 McDonald's All-American who went to Detroit Mercy to play for his father. The Horizon League might be a little better than the Patriot League and MEAC, but the point still stands that this does not happen often.

4341 - 4353 of 4353 Posts