Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4421 - 4440 of 4455 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Nebraska seems to be a bigger wild card. Remember their messy divorce from the Big XII?

You take them back in the Big XII 100/100 times over Colorado State. But also, what a bunch of idiots.

Nebraska got kicked out of the Association of American Universities as well.

In 2010, Perlman stated that had Nebraska not been part of the AAU, the Big Ten Conference would likely not have invited it to become the athletic conference's 12th member.

Meanwhile, there's only America East school in the AAU...
There's a line in the Yahoo article on Nebraska saying their request was met with "knowing eye rolls." Same thing applies when you and any other Stony Brook fan brings this up to act like the Seawolves are on their way to the Power 5 and could slot in for Nebraska (Nebraska. NEBRASKA FOOTBALL!) any day now.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
167 Posts
That part was obviously facetious. Stony Brook is part of an exclusive, 63-school club that the Big Ten requires membership of for entry, but that's just a fun fact. I was not implying that they could do a straight swap right now.

·
6,069 Posts
Nebraska is becoming like that multi-divorcee you know at work who you want to avoid at the water cooler because he keeps talking about that 18 year old he's screwing despite being in his late 40's. It's not his ex-wives that were the problem.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Liberty is 7-0 and beat a down by their standards but not totally terrible Virginia Tech team. They have a real shot at being undefeated especially if they close out with wins on a middling NC State team and a good Coastal Carolina team. Is there a conference out there that can put aside piles of excrement like Hugh Freeze and the Fallwells to bit the bullet and extend conference membership to them? It's not going to be the American, but if that CUSA split among its schools and a realignment that mostly involves CUSA and Sun Belt teams jumping around, surely one of them is not going to be able to deny a team that might deliver them wins and national attention, right?

College athletics is full of enough moral and ethical contradictions that I think some league is going to put all of Liberty's issues aside in the name of its league getting group of 5 attention for a playoff spot, as unlikely as that remains, but in a certain expanded format in the future...

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
167 Posts
It wasn’t that long ago that Stony Brook was regularly beating down on Liberty in the Big South. Aside from nutjob religious grifter money, what else have they done since leaving the Big South to get to where they are now?

like, multiple recruits have left Liberty because of the racist remarks that their administrators have said.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Nope, sorry. F*** Liberty, f*** the Falwells, and f*** that law school they have that produces the most crazy lawyers in this country.
Oh I completely agree with this 100% but college presidents and athletic directors are among the greediest and generally very vapid and stupid people on the planet so if there was some kind of split and a league is desperate for members, I can easily see some being okay with sportwashing all of Liberty's terriblness if it helped them. Like...is the Sun Belt in a position to reject them if they get poached in that scenario of a CUSA split I mention? I would commend schools/conferences for taking a moral stand against them, but I think their morality is so flexible to begin with so perhaps I'm cynical that Liberty will be independent forever/push their way into a situation they don't deserve. UMass gets a lot of justified shit for playing them every year from its students and faculty on campus, but their administration doesn't care, at a certain point are Arkansas State or Middle Tennessee's?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Nope, sorry. F*** Liberty, f*** the Falwells, and f*** that law school they have that produces the most crazy lawyers in this country.

The right wing ultra religious law school is not Liberty. It is Regent University in Virginia Beach-VA. It was founded by the other well known Virginia televangelist, Pat Roberts. It was originally known as the Chistian Broadcast Network (CBN) University.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I'm sorry, where do you stand on Liberty University?

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Both Liberty and Regent are nothing more than indoctrination camps.
Oh I know. I was being a smart ass in response to ball_of_rubber's expletive filled reaction to Liberty lol. Wasn't trying to be serious.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
There are people who think colleges are left-wing indoctrination camps. When in reality they are often the first opportunity for people who grew up in homogenous communities to meet people different from themselves. That often leads to an expanded perspective that some people simply cannot tolerate.

4421 - 4440 of 4455 Posts