Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4441 - 4455 of 4455 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
There is no shortage of people who think they are enlightened and claim to be tolerant, while all the time they refuse to tolerate anyone who doesn't think like they do. Mostly because of their smugness and self-perceived intellectual superiority.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There is no shortage of people who think they are enlightened and claim to be tolerant, while all the time they refuse to tolerate anyone who doesn't think like they do. Mostly because of their smugness and self-perceived intellectual superiority.
Is your argument that University causes this? If so, I think it's a flawed one.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think that it becomes an echo chamber that amplifies it, which then suppresses dissention, where it should in reality be an environment where all views (whether they are agreed with or not) are respected and people should be exposed to and interact with those from different backgrounds, beliefs, political views, etc without fear of backlash.

·
U of AZ 72
67 Posts
It's pretty hard to deny that colleges aren't very biased to the left. I have seen many instances of colleges cancelling conservative speakers because of protests from the students and fear of violence . Middlebury college was one of them. So much for open mindedness and expanded perspective.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
That all sounds well and good but what has been happening in this country for the last 10-12 years? There has been so much division (happened well before the last 4 years) and a complete unwillingness to work with, much less listen to people who have differing views. I mean, love him or hate him, the complete lack of respect given to our president is mind blowing. I didn't like Obama but I didn't refer to him by any names, feel I needed to come up with a clever meme, wish ill on his family, etc. I mean, the #notmypresident crusade was ridiculous. And now that the election has gone back to the other side, those people that were saying that are asking everyone to now come together as one. Basically saying that we were not going to have dialogue whatsoever with you then based on what you think, but now I expect you to have dialogue with me.

I'm not looking to get into a political debate here, but it isn't like we, as adults, are actually setting a very good example. The divide in this country has been getting worse for at least a decade and probably quite a bit longer. There doesn't appear to be very much middle ground anymore and people are skewing further to one side or the other and have no interest in hearing what anyone else has to say.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
If people are unable to attempt to at least hear or understand an opposing point of view, understand most things have nuance and are not black/white, then best of luck to the them in 2020 and looking towards the future. Not sure how going to fare/survive.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanHoops

·
3h

Can confirm that ASUN likely to add Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas and Jacksonville State for the 2021-22 season.
Quote Tweet

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not sure how going to fare/survive.
Guns and canned food?

But to your point - if we can't talk to each other without jumping down each other's throat, we are done. What makes this country the best place on Earth is our diversity and ability to band together. Far too much polarization and far too little common ground right now. Hopefully people turn off MSNBC/CNN/Fox News talking heads and go have a (socially distanced) beer with their neighbor and talk about issues in a civil manner. Much better way to live.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops

·
3h

Can confirm that ASUN likely to add Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas and Jacksonville State for the 2021-22 season.
Quote Tweet
Well damn, that's interesting. Poaching 2 from the Ohio Valley (E. Kentucky and Jax State) and 1 from the Southland. Both of those conferences I felt were pretty solid. Ohio Valley will drop to 10 members, but losing Jacksonville State kinda helps their footprint as it gets them all much closer without that one outlier in Alabama. The Southland drops to 12 (nice even number) and C. Arkansas was the outlier being the only school outside the states of Texas and Louisiana.

The additions bring the A-Sun up to 12 members and gives Bellarmine another member in the state of Kentucky.

Maybe this whole situation actually makes some sense? I mean, Eastern Kentucky I'm not so sure about, but it's not really crazy.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Well damn, that's interesting. Poaching 2 from the Ohio Valley (E. Kentucky and Jax State) and 1 from the Southland. Both of those conferences I felt were pretty solid. Ohio Valley will drop to 10 members, but losing Jacksonville State kinda helps their footprint as it gets them all much closer without that one outlier in Alabama. The Southland drops to 12 (nice even number) and C. Arkansas was the outlier being the only school outside the states of Texas and Louisiana.

The additions bring the A-Sun up to 12 members and gives Bellarmine another member in the state of Kentucky.

Maybe this whole situation actually makes some sense? I mean, Eastern Kentucky I'm not so sure about, but it's not really crazy.
It makes sense for Jacksonville State and Central Arkansas since they were outliers in their league, but outside of that the OVC was pretty well congregated. EKU is about 90 mins from Louisville where Bellarmine is and my guess is quite further away from the rest. The interesting thing is all 3 schools are FCS football, and pretty sure Jax State is good. Would give the ASun 6 FCS members with Kennesaw St and North Alabama in the Big South and Stetson in the Pioneer League. Jacksonville (the Florida one) just dropped it. Unless Stetson is planning to ramp up, they'd be a member away from the bare minimum for sponsoring FCS. The OVC two leaving puts OVC football at 7 FB members now, so one has to wonder if they're okay with letting those two stay on as associates in football. Current history in other similar situations says no.

I also wonder if the ASun feels Liberty is merely on borrowed time with them as they try and position themselves to be scooped up by a FBS conference, probably in any CUSA split/Sun Belt reorganization that we've hypothesized. Like I said, for as much as you can talk about Liberty as an institution and its ethical iffyness (it's more that it's really a university masking as a for-profit, scamming online students scheme for the Fallwells who are using it to hide assets in new construction considered tax-free than it is its religious ideology) at a certain point college presidents and ADs will continue to use their moral flexibility to justify Liberty's membership if it's good for their next round of TV negotiations or them having nationally ranked football teams.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Interesting about the football. I didn't delve deep into that sport. Liberty has definitely positioned themselves well in regards to stepping up into FBS football. Another interesting thing is that James Madison has certainly done the same and with the 2 schools being only an hour or so apart from each other, I wonder if they may represent a pair that could join a conference together. JMU is still an FCS program, but they have been stellar and their stadium would put many FBS stadiums to shame. They have certainly invested in the program with hopes of bigger things.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
It makes sense for Jacksonville State and Central Arkansas since they were outliers in their league, but outside of that the OVC was pretty well congregated. EKU is about 90 mins from Louisville where Bellarmine is and my guess is quite further away from the rest. The interesting thing is all 3 schools are FCS football, and pretty sure Jax State is good. Would give the ASun 6 FCS members with Kennesaw St and North Alabama in the Big South and Stetson in the Pioneer League. Jacksonville (the Florida one) just dropped it. Unless Stetson is planning to ramp up, they'd be a member away from the bare minimum for sponsoring FCS. The OVC two leaving puts OVC football at 7 FB members now, so one has to wonder if they're okay with letting those two stay on as associates in football. Current history in other similar situations says no.

I also wonder if the ASun feels Liberty is merely on borrowed time with them as they try and position themselves to be scooped up by a FBS conference, probably in any CUSA split/Sun Belt reorganization that we've hypothesized. Like I said, for as much as you can talk about Liberty as an institution and its ethical iffyness (it's more that it's really a university masking as a for-profit, scamming online students scheme for the Fallwells who are using it to hide assets in new construction considered tax-free than it is its religious ideology) at a certain point college presidents and ADs will continue to use their moral flexibility to justify Liberty's membership if it's good for their next round of TV negotiations or them having nationally ranked football teams.
Like a college football version of the rapture.....

Reactions: catpower

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Interesting about the football. I didn't delve deep into that sport. Liberty has definitely positioned themselves well in regards to stepping up into FBS football. Another interesting thing is that James Madison has certainly done the same and with the 2 schools being only an hour or so apart from each other, I wonder if they may represent a pair that could join a conference together. JMU is still an FCS program, but they have been stellar and their stadium would put many FBS stadiums to shame. They have certainly invested in the program with hopes of bigger things.
They are building a new basketball arena too, when they already have a fairly nice one, at least by mid-major/non-power 5 standards. Could be waiting for some CUSA/Sun Belt fallout/reshuffle, but this from 2018 kinda makes it seem like they are fine where they are until they find something beneficial: McFeely: James Madison has FBS look, but staying put at FCS level for now | INFORUM

In terms of if they'd be willing to link up with Liberty. Probably, Old Dominion takes cash from them for games: ODU to get another big payday to play at Liberty

$2 million total in guarantees from a non-Power 5 school is insane, and ODU probably not the only ones getting checks either. UMass doesn't have an issue with it. Despite justified anti-Liberty sentiment here and across higher ed regarding where that money comes from and who is in charge of the college, administrators always follow and take the money which is why in time I think Liberty finds a permanent home. 2023-24 seems like it'll be the big year with the TV contracts mostly being up for the Power 5, plus everyone else is going to have a clearer idea of what their post-Covid future looks like and I'm gonna guess fly from Norfolk, VA to El Paso, TX for a football or basketball game ain't it. Regionalized competition is gonna make a comeback. Geography: the great equalizer.

Like a college football version of the rapture.....
Kirk Cameron is ready to go for the movie version. Left Behind 2 coming direct to streaming soon. Kirk Cameron partners with Liberty on his newest film venture | Liberty Journal | Liberty University

·
Registered
1,898 Posts

From the article: "There is no official ASUN football league, but the conference has an agreement with the Big South to send its football-playing teams there." - so that would bring Big South to 12 members (5 full members + 7 associate members) if this went through. That's the exact CAA football break down of full members to associate as well.

Of course, I think what was lost in the arrangement is apparently this is merely a "negotiating window" which means it could fail...which would be the most ASun thing ever.

4441 - 4455 of 4455 Posts