Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4481 - 4500 of 4522 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
There's so much posted in here to keep track of, but did anyone see this when it came out in October? UC Riverside's budget committee advised dropping sports completely. That would explain why their previous basketball coach left for an assistant job before the season started:

So...say that happened (I'm not convinced it will). Sacramento State jumps over from the Big Sky, they almost have to. I think they may already be inclined to do so regardless. They'd be close enough to UC Davis, fits the conference profile of UC or CSU schools except Hawaii...They'd need a place to house football, but the Big Sky might keep them on with the departure of Southern Utah to stay a 12-team football league.

Also, here's San Diego State's AD saying nah to a potential American Conference invite:

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
There's so much posted in here to keep track of, but did anyone see this when it came out in October? UC Riverside's budget committee advised dropping sports completely. That would explain why their previous basketball coach left for an assistant job before the season started:

So...say that happened (I'm not convinced it will). Sacramento State jumps over from the Big Sky, they almost have to. I think they may already be inclined to do so regardless. They'd be close enough to UC Davis, fits the conference profile of UC or CSU schools except Hawaii...They'd need a place to house football, but the Big Sky might keep them on with the departure of Southern Utah to stay a 12-team football league.
This makes so much sense, I see it not happening for that reason.

Also, here's San Diego State's AD saying nah to a potential American Conference invite:

I guarantee those "reports" of SDSU engaging with the AAC came from Boise, which is trying to revisit their thankfully ill-fated move to the old Big East.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
This makes so much sense, I see it not happening for that reason.
Agree. I almost feel the only reason it hasn't happened is because having a 12-team conference can get weird and messy especially with conference scheduling for sports like basketball. 18-20 games with 10-11 team conferences is easy. But, if some of the CSU and UC schools are in trouble, how long can Sacramento State keep saying we're sending teams on flights to Greely, CO and Pocatello, ID (even if they bused to a few of them, that's insane) when they have a built-in rival not far away and can just hop on the 5 and play a bunch of actual peer schools without ever leaving the state except for a Hawaii game? You can probably justify sticking in Big Sky for football, there's a lack of options for both parties. The rest? Not so much.

Sensibly, Sacramento State moves to the Big West either way. Seattle leaves the WAC for the Big Sky. They'd get a few bus trips in exchange for it. If it weren't for all the FBS talk I'd say Northern Arizona joins the WAC to replace Seattle, but NAU is likely stuck with no other place to go in D1.

I guarantee those "reports" of SDSU engaging with the AAC came from Boise, which is trying to revisit their thankfully ill-fated move to the old Big East.
It probably is. What's funny is the AD specifically mentions in the artcle they'd lose all the gains they've made with their men's basketball team, because even though the MWC has some good football teams...its a multi-bid basketball league most years, and that's where the likes of SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico and Nevada are focused, and the rest probably have no issue with the conference at all. If Boise wants to run around chasing football glory, have fun housing all your other sports in the Big Sky, where your facilities will be unrivaled and you might have success, but what will really happen is attendance will drop for basketball (Montana State < a middling UNLV or Fresno State game), the budget will get slashed and now you're a team playing in a giant quarter full facility if you're lucky without a national TV deal.

Even if they got a deal to put their basketball team in the American, do your fans actually give a crap that you play Tulane, ECU, Tulsa, Temple, etc. I know Boise isn't a basketball school, but truly that entire basketball conference lacks anything of a rivalry outside Houston/SMU and UCF/USF I guess. Ask UConn how that went for them...and ask Temple how they'll feel about it in 5 years too.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
The real reason why Boise St is talking about leaving MWC for the AAC is because they're no longer treated like the teacher's pet by the conference front office.

When they and SDSU came back to the MWC after trying to leave for old Big East football, along with putting their other sports in the Big West (which would have been a real disaster), Boise St was given a deal that enabled it to sell its home games separately from the rest of the league’s television package, earning the school an additional $1.8 million on top of the share each team receives, which was $1.1 million. Boise St wound up making an average of $2.9 million per year. That TV deal expired at the end of last year's basketball season, when Utah St. upset SDSU.

The current MWC TV deal with CBS and FOX, which covers both football and basketball and expires in 2026, the same year the college football playoff contract ends (a big deal), gives every team, except football-only Hawaii, $4 million. With each school getting the same amount, Boise no longer feels special, and actually threatened to sue the conference before realizing they'd have no cause. Sure, the AAC pays out more (just under $7 million), but I don't see the AAC schools, espeically ones that weren't part of the old Big East, willing to split that money with a school in the Pacific Northwest.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
And there really is no incentive for the AAC to invite Boise State for football. With the recent success of Cincinnati, UCF, Memphis, Houston and even South Florida and Tulsa, they have plenty of good programs now. The prestige that was Boise State under Peterson has since faded quite a bit. And like was mentioned above, why would they want to add another mouth to feed? It isn't like they are going to bring millions to the table that isn't already there. In today's covid world of budget issues, it doesn't seem like adding them would be a smart move in any way, shape or form. UNLESS, the conference feels like they are in danger of being poached and losing a few schools in the near future. But I think we learned in the last huge movement, nobody wants Cincinnati while it would be extremely hard for Houston to get into the Big XII as all the Texas schools are completely against adding yet another member from that state. If a Power 5 league doesn't come knocking (and realistically, the Big XII would be the only one it would seem at this time), I don't see any other conference that would make sense for any of those schools to jump to as they would be at least one step down from their current location.

Reactions: catpower

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If BYU had any interest in joining the Big 12 (and I don't think they do), that would be Boise's best chance at hitching their wagon to a team. Boise State football is brand name, but BYU brings a lot more of a draw. There also were some hiccups the last time they were floated around too. So given that's unlikely, Boise would probably need a conference mate to make a jump to a power 5 with them, and the only one that has at least made some sort of gesture that they'd like to in recent years is Colorado State. They suck at football. Solid basketball (so is Boise), but is that actually appealing to the Big 12? There's always talk about the Big 12 being fragile...but at this point outside of I guess West Virginia being the outlier and the possible elusive 16th ACC team, or the idea that the Big 10 might go to 16, I really don't see it. Texas isn't leaping to the Pac 12.

If the Big 12 did add Boise and Colorado State, I don't think it hurts them. It gives them some form of added security in membership. I guess with the idea of being in the Denver media market again that's a plus. But overall, probably a meh...which truly seems to be lost on a lot of college presidents, ADs, millionaire boosters, etc. These schools trying to position themselves for greener pastures aren't as big of a deal as they think.

Though I would find the prospect of what the Mountain West would do to replace those two if they did in fact leave interesting. Would have 10 football schools, and you don't need 12 for a conference championship game anymore. Easily can stand pat there. I truly think they are uninterested in New Mexico State or UTEP. But, beggars might not be able to be choosers so if it does get desperate from a football standpoint, they're your easiest adds. The Idaho jump back up is unlikely. North Dakota State, you don't say no right away, but are you really going to have a conference that stretches from Fargo to Honolulu in football? 10 and then adding Gonzaga for an 18-game schedule (no change from what they do now) which the Zags would be okay with since they're getting a higher caliber of conference opponent (they only do 16-game conference scheduled in the 10-team WCC so Gonzaga has more dates to play power conference opponents) I think would be the way to go. You'll still have good football (every program in that league save for probably UNLV has at least shown sparks of being solid to nationally-ranked good) and now you're in the convo as a possible 4-5 bid league in basketball every year. You take that.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
On the topic of TV Rights, NBC Sports is going to be shut down by year end. Their current sports properties are moving to USA Network. Premier League is basically Peacock only now. The NHL deal is up after this season. ESPN might put in a bid but I feel like the NBC-NHL relation is too good to give it up from the NHL's point of view. NBC has never been a player in college sports outside of their Notre Dame deal anyhow.

NBCSN will shut down at end of 2021 as several sports properties will shift to USA Network, according to reports

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
I know that the NHL has wanted to let NBC have the same amount of hockey on NBC, but wants more on other networks, and now that ESPN and FOX are the same company, look for that sharing, minus the pre-2004 lockout "I don't like hockey" from Sportscenter. With the Comcast CEO also being the owner of the Flyers, don't count on that relationship with NBC going anywhere. If I were the IOC, though, I'd be concerned, given that NBC has bankrolled every Olympic Games since Atlanta 1996.

NBC seems like it's simply following CBS's platform of putting more sports on its OTT platform. I would look for CBS to do the same to CBSSN in the next few years.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
^^^ Will the glow puck come back if Fox picks up some games?!

I don't think Fox Sports was taken by Disney in the deal. It was the Fox Studios stuff (21st Century Fox, FX, Nat Geo etc)

As for networks moving stuff behind subscription services, all this makes me wonder why these non-Power 5 schools think there's going to be money and TV time to go around if some of these networks might be looking to pair down and not ramp up in 2024.

Somewhat back to the topic at hand...I was curious about Dixie State and how it got its name in Utah...and now moving into D1, and possibly FBS if they'd consider a name change because Dixie is, well totally racist. It has to do with Brigham Young (the actual guy) believing he and his followers can grow cotton in the area, but even so, bad connotations. Turns out, the school president is pushing the state legislature of Utah to approve moving forward with a name change. Highlights how the name hurts the school (duh)...but also, of course, whenever these things happen you get vocal "keep the name" people out there. I think St. George State is a pretty easy call.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
Somewhat back to the topic at hand...I was curious about Dixie State and how it got its name in Utah...and now moving into D1, and possibly FBS if they'd consider a name change because Dixie is, well totally racist. It has to do with Brigham Young (the actual guy) believing he and his followers can grow cotton in the area, but even so, bad connotations. Turns out, the school president is pushing the state legislature of Utah to approve moving forward with a name change. Highlights how the name hurts the school (duh)...but also, of course, whenever these things happen you get vocal "keep the name" people out there. I think St. George State is a pretty easy call.

My stepniece is most likely going there either next year or in 2022 after community college and wants to walk onto their swimming program. She said she heard they want to have the word Utah in the name, and since Southern Utah is close by (and just joined the league), she thinks it may wind up being Southwest Utah.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Not my school, not my fight but...as implied in the previous post, I'd think it'd be advantageous for a university of their fairly low-profile stature to have a name that gives you a general idea of where it is located, or at the very least does not throw off very conflicting signals as to where it might be located.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts

The OVC-departing, ASun joining schools will be WAC members for 2021 only, which means the WAC gets their auto bid from the jump without having to wait for Southern Utah to join them next year. Gives time for the ASun to announce its plans for its own FCS league, which apparently is being announced today, and confirmed by a now deleted page on EKU's website about their conference transition:

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
If they need one more team for FCS eligibility in 2022, I would suggest San Diego, who’s is in the Pioneer league with a bunch of east coast schools.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
The more I think about it, you think they could convince NMSU to drop down? I guess that would depend on what the new playoff system will look like in five years.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If they need one more team for FCS eligibility in 2022, I would suggest San Diego, who’s is in the Pioneer league with a bunch of east coast schools.
Isn't the AQ minimum for FCS 7? Not ideal, but they could technically do that for a year until they add the 8th member.

The more I think about it, you think they could convince NMSU to drop down? I guess that would depend on what the new playoff system will look like in five years.
Possible, but the messaging feels like they all want to collectively move up to FBS. Is that actually a good idea? My feeling is no, but again...these schools want to chase that dragon. A lot can change in 3-4 years. Heck they could get lucky and somehow convince UTEP and UTSA to join them if they're dead set on FBS. Take Seattle out (still not convinced they're in long term plans and don't actually think they'll be WAC members by 2024), and that's a 14-team league with 10 football schools, 11 if UTRGV adds. Also gives them hubs across all of Texas and nicely bridges over to to the NM/UT/AZ schools.

That might not be a possibility, but I don't think UTEP or UTSA say no instantly. The WAC provides a benefit of getting what will eventually be as good or no better than what CUSA football and basketball currently are (adding these two would certainly make that true with basketball I think), and if they split into divisional play, you aren't leaving Texas for most your games. If they did and had to go FBS independent until everything was set, it's easier knowing there's light at the end of the tunnel...and they probably can find scheduling agreements with the other independent teams.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The AQ minimum is 6. There's talk that the ASUN and WAC pair up together for a year to get an AQ then fully launch in 2022.

The ASUN needs a sixth scholarship football program. I wouldn't be surprised to see Elon jump ship from the CAA. If that happens, the CAA should offer Fordham, a school who seemingly could get the boot from the A10. They would have to move their football from the Patriot League, but that would allow for a true north-south split of CAA Football, and good news for Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Albany, and Stony Brook.

All things considered, it's nice to be in a ten team league where things are quite stable. There's going to be a lot a movement around AE, but not directly involving AE. Of the other leagues AE schools are involved with, CAA Football looks to be the only one with some uncertainty, unless Hockey East wants to add that 12th member...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
So this got lost in the shuffle, but it's college hockey oriented so I can see why:

Lindenwood is D2 already. I would say seeing no chatter about it outside of the college hockey circles is a bit strange, but if it's still a rumor it might not pick up steam. Rules still seem to be the same and they'd have to bring their entire athletic department up to D1 (its women's team is already D1, but rules are different there). At the ACHA (club) level they dominate. Easy to see them sliding right into the newly reformed CCHA.

The school does sponsor football and lacrosse...lax membership is all over the place and I don't think that will be a determining factor in all sports membership. You could argue it'd make sense in the Summit League, Missouri Valley, or possibly even the Ohio Valley. All the Summit League football teams play in the Missouri Valley's football conference. Being in the St. Louis metro area, and Google says they got a new ice hockey rink recently, I can see some appeal.

4481 - 4500 of 4522 Posts