Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
4541 - 4560 of 5210 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
It would be an extraordinary step on the part of the NCAA, but it would be somewhat forward-thinking of them to truly define what it means to be "professional" in their minds beyond "you played a sport and there was money involved." Something that draws a distinction between professional sports and "I played sports for the amount of money I could have made working a non-sports summer job." Not gonna happen, but would definitely benefit some players.

Haven't we seen some scenarios in basketball with international players being eligible despite having played with professionals (though not distinctly as professionals) or receiving some kind of incidental compensation that came along with being in a professional environment? They ultimately had to sit some games (a number I feel like ends up being equivalent to the number of questionable games they participated in overseas), but are eligible in the end. That's a model that perhaps could be tailored in some way to fit the unique circumstances of hockey.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
It would be an extraordinary step on the part of the NCAA, but it would be somewhat forward-thinking of them to truly define what it means to be "professional" in their minds beyond "you played a sport and there was money involved." Something that draws a distinction between professional sports and "I played sports for the amount of money I could have made working a non-sports summer job." Not gonna happen, but would definitely benefit some players.

Haven't we seen some scenarios in basketball with international players being eligible despite having played with professionals (though not distinctly as professionals) or receiving some kind of incidental compensation that came along with being in a professional environment? They ultimately had to sit some games (a number I feel like ends up being equivalent to the number of questionable games they participated in overseas), but are eligible in the end. That's a model that perhaps could be tailored in some way to fit the unique circumstances of hockey.
Given that you're right and it won't happen, despite it being the compassionate, forward thinking, and in my opinion right thing to do, I think specifically for hockey you'd have to say if they're under a certain amount of games any sitting out is waived and the player is eligible. Some CHL players play 150-200 career games if they're on the team from 16-20 since they play a lot of games in those leagues, way more than the 30 or so college games, so maybe the cut off is under 100? 75? Less? There's a reasonable number somewhere. There was a player from the WHL who attempted to go the NCAA route but it didn't end up happening and it looks like he was in limbo until he ended up at a Canadian college. He played 45 games in the WHL. It looks like the NCAA was going to make him sit out nearly 2 years. That's insane, not worth it for him, and just rather stupid for the NCAA for a man who wanted to go to college and get an education while playing hockey.

Speaking broadly to your point, they really should let NCAA athletes get paid to play in off-season summer leagues and still maintain their eligibility. Baseball and soccer have those types of leagues, and what's the harm in giving a Cape League kid a couple hundred bucks a month? Or even stopping one NCAA player from playing for an independent pro ball team in the summer? Those leagues pay the equivalent to a summer job for a normal student so what's the difference?

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Hearing Chicago State is taking a look too.
If there was ever a school that should look to move down to D-III or give up athletics entirely, we need look no further than this place. I can't believe they are still trying to hold on.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
To be fair to them they hired a promising AD who was starting to turn them around and then he died suddenly. I think they have struggled to replace him.
But this is also a school that is located in a crappy area of Chicago (campus is not bad, but don't step foot off it), it is super expensive where they are located, they have a very small enrollment (just over 3k) and really have no identity to speak of. Their chance for any type of success athletically is pretty much nil.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Can’t argue that but I have a lot of respect for what the athletic department is trying to do on the thinnest of budgets.
Fair enough.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Stanford is re-instating 11 sports they were set to cut, including field hockey. Do we know what the deal is with the western affiliates going forward? Albany, Maine, UNH, Lowell, Vermont, and Monmouth is enough for an AQ without Stanford, Cal and UC Davis.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,555 ·
[/QUOTE]
Stanford is re-instating 11 sports they were set to cut, including field hockey. Do we know what the deal is with the western affiliates going forward? Albany, Maine, UNH, Lowell, Vermont, and Monmouth is enough for an AQ without Stanford, Cal and UC Davis.
While I love the association with Stanford & Cal......it is making it more difficult for Albany, Maine, UNH, etc to win the autobid in a sport where at-large berths are virtually impossible for mid-majors to snag. Sorry that doesn't answer your question. Maybe an affiliation with the ACC would be more appropriate.

·
Super Moderator
6,597 Posts

Interesting quote in this article, as it’s relevant to Hartford.

Stanford is the latest school to reverse course after cutting sports during the pandemic. William & Mary announced it was cutting seven teams, but reversed that decision after a lawsuit was threatened. Dartmouth cut five teams, but reinstated them all, and the athletic director resigned in the wake of the uproar.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
In the name of closure of something discussed in this thread a few months back, WAC member Dixie State is moving forward with renaming its institution, removing the geographically and culturally problematic "Dixie" from its title:

Article spitballs types of names that will be under consideration, all seemingly revolving around some combination of words that will be conversationally shortened to "Utah Tech."

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Augustana in South Dakota confirms it's adding D1 hockey. It's long been considered to make the D2 to D1 jump. Probably a lock for the CCHA as well. Possibly the 11th Summit League member with its football team admitted into the Missouri Valley Football Conference as the 12th member. Otherwise, I suppose they could also do Pioneer League (depends if they want to bump up their current scholarship numbers).

As the article notes, college hockey is set to lose three programs this year unless there's enough money raised. Alabama-Huntsville, Alaska-Anchorage, and Robert Morris. Lindenwood just outside St. Louis has long been rumored to add D1 hockey (they already have women's), and since there's no D2 hockey championship, and non-D3 school can elevate their hockey program to D1 and stay D2. We'll see. Hockey is expensive...but the issue is there's more college-ready and willing talent than there are teams, but certain schools can't keep their teams afloat, and adding new requires probably well over $50 million at this point.

4541 - 4560 of 5210 Posts