Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
4761 - 4780 of 4853 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
The Big 12 made the right moves and got the consensus Top 4 that everyone thought they should get. I actually think that the Big 12 has become a more interesting conference.
I tend to agree with all of that. I really look for UCF to be a contender on the national level for a long time to come now. They have the enrollment, the money, the facilities and now the conference (much better access to playoffs). They are certainly a lot more isolated from the rest of their league than everyone else (kinda how West Virginia has been for years), but I don't think it will affect them a whole lot even though nobody in the conference is within 3 states of them.

Reactions: mainejeff

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,505 Posts
Not sure this is the best thread to put this in, but a pretty good article about schools realizing the NCAA needs to rebuild, and what AD's and conference commissioners have in mind.
A few thoughts
Others wonder whether any common ground still exists among the wide variety of schools and sports squeezing under the same banner. Some, including Ohio State's Smith, suggested it might be time to create different governing bodies for different sports so that football, field hockey and tennis aren't all operating as if they face the same issues. Others wonder whether even within Division I (let alone the lower two divisions) the difference in resources between different schools has become an insurmountable gap.
"We all come back to that magical umbrella, that there's 350 [Division I] schools, and by god, Maryland Baltimore County can beat Virginia if they're given a chance," said the Mountain West's Thompson, whose 35 years make him the longest active-tenured Division I commissioner. "True. They did. They won the game, but does that put them in the same operating category, governance structure?
At least UMBC treated with more respect than Binghamton did. But it has been mentioned in this thread that it may be a good idea to have different governing bodies for different sports; that idea is on the table. If they do decide this route, since each sport has a governing body to send those athletes to the Olympics, how about those bodies take over the college level?

Which leads to...
Still, the desire to conduct national championships isn't going away. And to conduct them fairly, the schools need a body that can make sure everyone competing for those titles is doing so on an equal playing field. If that's not Emmert's team in Indianapolis guiding members to some form of agreement, someone else will have to fill that role.
If they don't do the route of different governing bodies for different sports, they need to make sure that the above quote actually happens. I don't like the idea of football super conferences dictating other sports. The defending national champions in basketball is from a conference that's losing its "Power" status; the defending national champions is in a hockey-only conference and an A-10 school and whose football team is in over its head in FBS independence; the defending national champions in men's soccer is in a conference that's about to be reorganized at the G5 level; the last three national champions in men's volleyball are from a conference that hasn't had football since 2000. It won't do anyone any good if all those sports get undone so only top football schools compete in those sports in their own division.

Another interesting thought
Emmert said he believes part of the problem is that members try to rely on the NCAA to answer too many questions that could be handled at the conference level or on a school-by-school basis. He said it's common for schools to "kick issues up to the national level for convenience, for desirability ... for not wanting to deal with issues.
The Constitutional Convention group assembled this summer is intended to be the first step in addressing many of these issues, but that particular road to reform is anything but fast. Even if the group is successful in streamlining what Bob Bowlsby referred to as the "43 pages of arcane principles and redundancy" that make up the NCAA's constitution, that's only the tip of the iceberg of the work that lies ahead.
You wonder if former AE Commissioner Amy Huchthausen looked at the idea of representing the America East in rebuilding the NCAA and realized it was a lost cause. If that's the case, it may lead one to wonder if, when you remove Hartford from the picture, the remaining nine AE members have different visions of the future, and realignment may trickle down here.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Do you wonder if Texas is having second thoughts after yesterday?
Seriously. If you can't win at Arkansas, then you aren't winning at Alabama...at Auburn...at Georgia...at LSU...at Florida.

Purdue 49 UConn 0

Merrimack 35 Holy Cross 21

Last week: Holy Cross 38 UConn 28

How bad is UConn Football?
Was talking with a buddy of mine over the weekend. Don't they have to be considering completely disbanding that team now, esp after your head coach "retires" after a loss to FCS Holy Cross? I know nobody wants to drop back down from FBS (heaven forbid), so not even sure they consider that. My understanding is UConn is in a pretty dire financial situation so the powers that be may have a convenient out if they decide to eliminate the program. At any rate, it is pretty obvious to everyone that this program is dead in the water. It's one thing to get blown out by a decent Purdue team (who took most starters out at halftime), but to lose at home to a Holy Cross team that may not even be a top 50 FCS team should just not happen.

Again, the financial situation could give UConn an out and help to keep some of the egg off their face. But keeping this program just doesn't seem to be make any sense at all. They aren't getting bailed out by a Big Ten or ACC invite. That ship has sailed and is not even visible on the horizon.

People are worried about Rutgers but Rutgers loses much less per enrolled student than most (if not all) AE schools.
And they will be fine. Hell, they just beat Syracuse in the dome this past weekend. A football win over another fellow northeast P5 program that has some very good name recognition will only help their cause.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Seriously. If you can't win at Arkansas, then you aren't winning at Alabama...at Auburn...at Georgia...at LSU...at Florida.
The payout per loss is gonna be totally worth it. Also, something something all our Texas boys will stop going to Bama, Georgia, LSU, etc. now that the Longhorns are in the same league they're in.

As for UConn, I think they'll hold out another decade at least. Their only hope as I've said is that some FBS conference in the shakeup that is going to likely move a lot of pieces around is going to be short some members and they'll jump in. It's entirely possible that could still happen within the next 3-5 years. Same with UMass. Of course, it will be a meaningless assortment of schools, but they'll consider it better than their alternatives. These schools don't want to pull an Idaho (aka the right move) because even for the waste of money that FBS is, they would potentially lose even more by dropping to FCS again and losing that funding. It's a sorry state of affairs, but that's how athletic donors and sponsors operate.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
The payout per loss is gonna be totally worth it. Also, something something all our Texas boys will stop going to Bama, Georgia, LSU, etc. now that the Longhorns are in the same league they're in.

As for UConn, I think they'll hold out another decade at least. Their only hope as I've said is that some FBS conference in the shakeup that is going to likely move a lot of pieces around is going to be short some members and they'll jump in. It's entirely possible that could still happen within the next 3-5 years. Same with UMass. Of course, it will be a meaningless assortment of schools, but they'll consider it better than their alternatives. These schools don't want to pull an Idaho (aka the right move) because even for the waste of money that FBS is, they would potentially lose even more by dropping to FCS again and losing that funding. It's a sorry state of affairs, but that's how athletic donors and sponsors operate.
I'm assuming the Texas comments are sarcasm.

I'm sure UConn will try to hold on a lot longer. No one wants to admit to such a massive mistake. The only way I see a Group of 5 conference reaching out to them is if UConn is bringing all their sports. You know everyone at UConn is counting their lucky stars that they got out of the AAC when they did and I can't imagine anyone is going to allow them to make the same mistake again. Can you imagine a press conference where the UConn administration announces their intent to join the Sun Belt? Conference USA? The administrators would be booed off the stage with rotten tomatoes smashing on the podium.

And on the other hand, one of those conferences would have to be extremely desperate to invite just the UConn football team to their league. I mean, what on earth does that program bring to any of those leagues?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Not sure this is the best thread to put this in, but a pretty good article about schools realizing the NCAA needs to rebuild, and what AD's and conference commissioners have in mind.
A few thoughts

At least UMBC treated with more respect than Binghamton did. But it has been mentioned in this thread that it may be a good idea to have different governing bodies for different sports; that idea is on the table. If they do decide this route, since each sport has a governing body to send those athletes to the Olympics, how about those bodies take over the college level?

Which leads to...

If they don't do the route of different governing bodies for different sports, they need to make sure that the above quote actually happens. I don't like the idea of football super conferences dictating other sports. The defending national champions in basketball is from a conference that's losing its "Power" status; the defending national champions is in a hockey-only conference and an A-10 school and whose football team is in over its head in FBS independence; the defending national champions in men's soccer is in a conference that's about to be reorganized at the G5 level; the last three national champions in men's volleyball are from a conference that hasn't had football since 2000. It won't do anyone any good if all those sports get undone so only top football schools compete in those sports in their own division.

Another interesting thought

You wonder if former AE Commissioner Amy Huchthausen looked at the idea of representing the America East in rebuilding the NCAA and realized it was a lost cause. If that's the case, it may lead one to wonder if, when you remove Hartford from the picture, the remaining nine AE members have different visions of the future, and realignment may trickle down here.
The biggest thing about breaking out of the NCAA model, especially for Olympic sports is whether the Olympic committee for the sport in the US is equipped to handle that responsibility (some are completely bare-bones operations with no budget and would need a significant amount of upgrade to handle the extra responsibility). Some are more equipped than others (think USA Skiing and USA Hockey who could probably very easily take over admin of the college game). In the case of skiing and hockey, you can swap out one for the other and keep going as you would, same conferences and all probably.

For a sport like field hockey, and to an extent swimming/diving, track/XC, volleyball, etc I think it would require a lot more. There are conferences that are very secure in their membership in these types of sports and see them as a priority, and others that don't or are in an area where the lack of teams means having 4-5 conferences sponsor 40-50 teams makes no sense and they should just go to a consolidated ECAC-like model. How willing are the leagues that do wish to make one of these sports a primary mainstay in their conference to allow that to happen? It sounds silly, but when they're talking about making the playing field equal, there are some stark contrasts in competition level in these spaces so are they going to be willing partners or not?

Also, I don't think that Huchthausen left for those reasons at all. I think she simply wanted the new path she's now chosen. It's a valid point though in that schools want to kick stuff up the ladder to not confront or deal with it on their own. I'm sure lots of AE schools love the NCAA as a security blanket to help because most of these ADs and college presidents don't want to be the ones to have to think critically.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
It's a valid point though in that schools want to kick stuff up the ladder to not confront or deal with it on their own. I'm sure lots of AE schools love the NCAA as a security blanket to help because most of these ADs and college presidents don't want to be the ones to have to think critically.
That is a very valid point. I can certainly attest to whenever we had a question in regards to NCAA rules, we would go to our compliance department. Many times, they would in-turn kick it up to the NCAA for clarification. That way, they weren't on the hook for any wrong information that they could have given us that might have led to an NCAA violation. I can't imagine how many of those things the NCAA office received on a daily or weekly basis.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I'm assuming the Texas comments are sarcasm.

I'm sure UConn will try to hold on a lot longer. No one wants to admit to such a massive mistake. The only way I see a Group of 5 conference reaching out to them is if UConn is bringing all their sports. You know everyone at UConn is counting their lucky stars that they got out of the AAC when they did and I can't imagine anyone is going to allow them to make the same mistake again. Can you imagine a press conference where the UConn administration announces their intent to join the Sun Belt? Conference USA? The administrators would be booed off the stage with rotten tomatoes smashing on the podium.

And on the other hand, one of those conferences would have to be extremely desperate to invite just the UConn football team to their league. I mean, what on earth does that program bring to any of those leagues?
Yes, they were. But, no, Texas doesn't regret its move one bit. They'll be making tons of money win or lose, and that line about Texas kids staying home is very real amongst its supporters.

We'll see about UConn. We know they're not taking all their sports with them. But, I think you can wait and see and there's an outside (emphasize outside here) chance that there are going to be a collection of 7-9 FBS football schools currently in a league left holding the bag and will be in dire need of members to stay afloat in football. The likes of UConn might be the only ones to save them as football-only members (this is assuming they backfill to 10-12 schools total for all sports with non-FB playing schools). I'd give it a 25% chance at happening, and a 100% chance of UConn admins not at all giving a crap if they're booed or pelted with tomatoes for announcing they're in a league with UTEP and Middle Tennessee State for football now.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Yes, they were. But, no, Texas doesn't regret its move one bit. They'll be making tons of money win or lose, and that line about Texas kids staying home is very real amongst its supporters.

We'll see about UConn. We know they're not taking all their sports with them. But, I think you can wait and see and there's an outside (emphasize outside here) chance that there are going to be a collection of 7-9 FBS football schools currently in a league left holding the bag and will be in dire need of members to stay afloat in football. The likes of UConn might be the only ones to save them as football-only members (this is assuming they backfill to 10-12 schools total for all sports with non-FB playing schools). I'd give it a 25% chance at happening, and a 100% chance of UConn admins not at all giving a crap if they're booed or pelted with tomatoes for announcing they're in a league with UTEP and Middle Tennessee State for football now.
Of course Texas doesn't regret its' move. Hell, they are still a couple years away from it even happening lol.

And my comment about being booed was if they were moving all their programs to another FBS league, which of course they won't. We all know that football is out on its' own. They may need to schedule half their games as guarantee games at P5 schools to try and bring in some money to help offset the cost of the program a little.

Reactions: catpower

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
UConn is NEVER going down to FCS. Unlike, Idaho or NMSU, the Huskies were in a P5 league. They will not drop to that level, at all. They weren't good when they we're in I-AA and have nothing to fall back on. They will not be playing CAA conference games at Pratt & Whitney Stadium.

My guess is the hold on for at least a decade as an Independent or in FB-only alliance with other FBS teams. They won't have the exposure or budget to compete and I could see them dropping the sport around 2032, when their E. Hartford stadium is 30 years old and the bonds are paid off.

Until then, they will just try to survive without the TV money or bowl access.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
UConn is NEVER going down to FCS. Unlike, Idaho or NMSU, the Huskies were in a P5 league. They will not drop to that level, at all. They weren't good when they we're in I-AA and have nothing to fall back on. They will not be playing CAA conference games at Pratt & Whitney Stadium.

My guess is the hold on for at least a decade as an Independent or in FB-only alliance with other FBS teams. They won't have the exposure or budget to compete and I could see them dropping the sport around 2032, when their E. Hartford stadium is 30 years old and the bonds are paid off.

Until then, they will just try to survive without the TV money or bowl access.
UConn football is like a nuclear power plant: a long, slow road to decommissioning.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Speaking of CAA conference football, it appears as though James Madison has been very actively trying to secure a seat in an FBS conference in recent days. I have a feeling they are going to get the call this time around. Not sure if it's the AAC or the Sun Belt or C-USA, but they will move up to the FBS ranks very soon.

Here's an article: JMU talking with other leagues

Edit - Back when the Big East was still sponsoring football and looking at adding schools like TCU, Boise State, etc, they had asked Villanova to move up. 'Nova had put together a plan that included budget, where they would play, etc. However, a vote was never taken on them moving up. I can't help but wonder if they would be interested in moving up if something came their way, like a FB-only membership to a Sun Belt or AAC. I doubt it, but they have shown an interest in the past even though that was most likely due to the Big East. I can't imagine they would entertain anything that would require them to move the rest of their sports out of the Big East.

Reactions: catpower

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Speaking of CAA conference football, it appears as though James Madison has been very actively trying to secure a seat in an FBS conference in recent days. I have a feeling they are going to get the call this time around. Not sure if it's the AAC or the Sun Belt or C-USA, but they will move up to the FBS ranks very soon.

Here's an article: JMU talking with other leagues

Edit - Back when the Big East was still sponsoring football and looking at adding schools like TCU, Boise State, etc, they had asked Villanova to move up. 'Nova had put together a plan that included budget, where they would play, etc. However, a vote was never taken on them moving up. I can't help but wonder if they would be interested in moving up if something came their way, like a FB-only membership to a Sun Belt or AAC. I doubt it, but they have shown an interest in the past even though that was most likely due to the Big East. I can't imagine they would entertain anything that would require them to move the rest of their sports out of the Big East.
There's a better chance of Big East football being reformed at the FCS level when a few teams admit their mistakes of being FBS than there is Villanova leaving the Big East. It won't happen but would Big East FCS football be kind of cool? Villanova, UConn, Georgetown, Butler + UMass, Dayton, Davidson, Duquense, Fordham? Again, it ain't happening (half these teams are Pioneer league and the others are funded), and likely they'd figure to raid the CAA of its schools over anything else, but, an A-10/Big East alliance football would be interesting, and possibly mutually beneficial.

As for the JMU twitter chatter:

Take it for what it is....I think that would be a huge win for them if they managed to get that to happen...but at the same time there's people acting like Marshall is a done deal to the AAC too. Southern Miss is an enigma because it has the tradition and attendance and they're consistently at least having bowl bids that they could plausibly be on the AAC's radar, but their budget is the lowest in all of CUSA in terms of spending in 2019 per the Knight Commission, so the Sun Belt would make a ton of sense for them as well since they're lots of closeby teams.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
What is Memphis and Temple going to do about basketball? These new "football-centric" alignments make sense, but the basketball is getting creamed. Does Wichita State try to go back to the MVC, or are they looking at the A-10, if UMass is dumb enough to join the American?

Sun Belt, C-USA, and AAC are now practically AQ-only basketball leagues. Sure, they may get a second team, but they are looking bad to me.

Where is Little Rock and UT-Arlington going after Sun Belt expansion?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
If I'm the Mountain West, I am making a full court press for Gonzaga and Wichita State. Man, that would take their very solid basketball league to among the very best not named the ACC or Big Ten.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
If I'm the Mountain West, I am making a full court press for Gonzaga and Wichita State. Man, that would take their very solid basketball league to among the very best not named the ACC or Big Ten.
Memphis would pitch that the Pyramid (which is now a Bass Pro Shops) qualifies as a mountain so they could join this one.

·
Super Moderator
6,505 Posts
What is Memphis and Temple going to do about basketball? These new "football-centric" alignments make sense, but the basketball is getting creamed. Does Wichita State try to go back to the MVC, or are they looking at the A-10, if UMass is dumb enough to join the American?

Sun Belt, C-USA, and AAC are now practically AQ-only basketball leagues. Sure, they may get a second team, but they are looking bad to me.

Where is Little Rock and UT-Arlington going after Sun Belt expansion?
What does it say about me that I literally spent all day at work thinking about this and not, you know, my actual job? Here's a hypothetical I've come up with:

As of right now, there are 37 schools in those three leagues, 34 with football (Arlington, Little Rock, and Wichita with no football), and one football affiliate (Navy). Take Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston from the picture, and let Navy go back to independent, and I believe Arlington and Little Rock plan on leaving, that will leave 32 schools, 31 with football.

Let's now add JMU, and remove Memphis and Temple for the above reasons and come back to them, now we have 31 schools, 30 with football.

Divide those 30 up, setting Wichita aside, 10-10-10 or 12-10-8, whichever (make sure the 4 private schools, Rice, SMU, Tulane, and Tulsa, are in the same league), make them easy geography, and stick Memphis and Temple football in one of those leagues as affiliates (or separate them, it doesn't matter). Have Memphis, Temple, and Wichita join (or rejoin, in Temple's case) the A10 in the other sports.

Then here's where it gets interesting. Have the A10 split, 10 northeast teams stay, and have Davidson, Dayton, GMU, Memphis, St. Louis, VCU, and Wichita create their own non-football leagues. That sounds like two quality basketball leagues.

4761 - 4780 of 4853 Posts