Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
5161 - 5180 of 5212 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yeah, by staying in C-USA (at least for a few seasons) they are due some big $$$ from all the schools leaving. I certainly would want to bank as much of that as I could. Maybe they can revisit the MAC in 2 years.

Clearly the MAC revenues are garbage too, so ESPN will have to step up to the plate if they ae looking to move more teams around ;)

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
That whole "recruit mostly in the south" bugs the hell out of me. With that conference so spread out, it doesn't matter...parents aren't going to see you play live but maybe once/year anyway. I mean, recruit a kid from Miami. If you happen to be scheduled to play at FIU, your parents will see you. If not, well, I guess they won't see you. However, if you play in the MAC, there are several opportunities to be on TV during the week and on the weekend. That isn't the case with C-USA and I doubt with the new line-up that things will improve on that front.

I stumbled across this article from December of last year. It is a great read, especially with the ability to look at with the things that have taken place since it was written: C-USA

Lots of good stuff in there.

Anyway, a few million bucks may sound good right now, but that is extremely short-sighted when looking at the grand scheme of college football in today's world. Maybe they are just banking on still being decently marketable, esp with Western Kentucky as a likely partner.

Reactions: Aceinthehole

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Man, there is a part of me that wants to see Western Kentucky go to the MAC with someone else, potentially one of the other directional Illinois schools (Eastern, Western or Southern) or Illinois State, pulling them up from the FCS ranks. Or maybe a Duquesne or Robert Morris from Western PA as a travel partner for Buffalo. No clue how good any of those teams really are and I'm sure it's a non-starter, but what the hell.

And yes, leaving the Sun Belt turned out to be a big mistake. However, if they hadn't left, the Sun Belt probably doesn't add all the schools they did and may not be at their current level. After all, with the exception of Louisiana, all their top programs (App State, GA Southern, GA State and Coastal Carolina) were added after they were poached by C-USA.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
MTSU staying in CUSA:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Therefore, Western Kentucky also is remaining, probably. Doesn't seem like the MAC is inviting them without MTSU. So, CUSA is at 9. That helps them a lot in terms of numbers, but I wonder who will be schools 10-11-12 if they decide to go that route. They probably get to 12, so they can at least do a divisional split.

East: Liberty, Florida International, Jacksonville State, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee (+ Eastern Kentucky? Chattanooga?)

West: UTEP, New Mexico State, Sam Houston State, Louisiana Tech (+ 2 of Stephen F. Austin? Tarleton State? Central Arkansas? McNeese State?)

They could always fill the gaps with UConn and UMass as affiliates, but I still sense that's not a top priority.

Apparently CUSA is still on the table for McNeese, but it's possible that WKU and MTSU returning means that has changed. They left the WAC offer because NMSU and SHSU leaving put a dent in their FBS aspirations, the AD and President say as much here (the quotes only back up my believe that college presidents and ADs are all not actually very smart people): https://www.americanpress.com/2021/...hat-will-bring-millions-in-for-sw-la-tourism/

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
MTSU staying in CUSA:

"With the addition of four new members, C-USA offers a strong footprint in the South and Southwest, providing opportunities to develop new regional rivalries, while staying connected to traditional opponents that our fans want." - MTSU President Sidney McPhee
I'm sorry, what? Regional rivalries? Traditional opponents? At best, this is a mish mash of schools that just want to compete at the FBS level of college football.

Man, I really hope Western Kentucky gets an opportunity with the MAC and leaves these guys hanging out to dry.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Apparently CUSA is still on the table for McNeese, but it's possible that WKU and MTSU returning means that has changed. They left the WAC offer because NMSU and SHSU leaving put a dent in their FBS aspirations, the AD and President say as much here (the quotes only back up my believe that college presidents and ADs are all not actually very smart people): https://www.americanpress.com/2021/...hat-will-bring-millions-in-for-sw-la-tourism/
Oh. My. God. If I was any other school in the Southland, I would be looking to move to pretty much any other conference. McNeese State has that league held hostage. I guess when you feel you are about to die as a league, you give in to demands to keep a key school in your conference. I mean, giving them hosting privileges for men's hoops, women's hoops, baseball and softball for 4 straight years beginning in 2023 is just crazy. Plus, they get the first right of refusal moving forward after those years are up. Just wow. I know they also get to host the conference football media day as well. But damn...they just sold their soul to McNeese State.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Oh. My. God. If I was any other school in the Southland, I would be looking to move to pretty much any other conference. McNeese State has that league held hostage. I guess when you feel you are about to die as a league, you give in to demands to keep a key school in your conference. I mean, giving them hosting privileges for men's hoops, women's hoops, baseball and softball for 4 straight years beginning in 2023 is just crazy. Plus, they get the first right of refusal moving forward after those years are up. Just wow. I know they also get to host the conference football media day as well. But damn...they just sold their soul to McNeese State.
Outside of Incarnate Word getting the WAC invite, do any of the remaining schools actually even have another choice? Incarnate Word should take the WAC invite simply because even if the WAC might continue to bleed, it'll be at 12 members and while their stability took a huge hit, the WAC has a lot more leverage to add schools, even if they lost 2-3 more members.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Outside of Incarnate Word getting the WAC invite, do any of the remaining schools actually even have another choice?
I know. I suppose they should all just be lucky to still have a conference to call home. I know I have said this a few times, but I am still stunned that this league fell apart like it did. I really thought it was one of the more stable in the nation. They just seemed to fit but clearly others had different ideas.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I think that it depends on what the CAA does....or doesn't do. I would think that AE would at least contact Northeastern & Quinnipiac although we may never hear about that.....unless they accept.
Mainejeff is like Charlie Brown waiting in the pumpkin patch on Halloween night. How many years have you been waiting or telling everyone the CAA is going to implode? I've lost count after at least 15 years of the same speech.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,177 ·
Mainejeff is like Charlie Brown waiting in the pumpkin patch on Halloween night. How many years have you been waiting or telling everyone the CAA is going to implode? I've lost count after at least 15 years of the same speech.
Yeah.....but I'm still in the game baby!....lol.

I was pretty young 20 years ago......here's to another 20!😛😉

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Just saw on the bottom scroll of ESPN that the MAC won't expand.
Yeah, looking like they will stay put, much to the chagrin of Western Kentucky. Honestly though, the MAC is one of the most stable conferences in the nation and I really wasn't expecting to see them make any moves anyway. It does look like FBS-driven expansion has pretty much concluded and now it will be the turn for the other conferences. Probably not a ton of movement but we will see what ends up happening with the 2 non-football schools still in the Sun Belt: Little Rock & UT-Arlington. In addition, we will see what the CAA elects to do, if anything. Is the Southland able to survive and maybe invite members back now that the WAC football situation has changed?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Yeah, looking like they will stay put, much to the chagrin of Western Kentucky. Honestly though, the MAC is one of the most stable conferences in the nation and I really wasn't expecting to see them make any moves anyway. It does look like FBS-driven expansion has pretty much concluded and now it will be the turn for the other conferences. Probably not a ton of movement but we will see what ends up happening with the 2 non-football schools still in the Sun Belt: Little Rock & UT-Arlington. In addition, we will see what the CAA elects to do, if anything. Is the Southland able to survive and maybe invite members back now that the WAC football situation has changed?
I know UT-Arlington is on the MVC shortlist, but I also don't know if the MVC is in too much of a rush. My gut tells me they're waiting to see if Western Illinois pulls the trigger on moving from the Summit to the OVC. That's a trade-in from a good FCS league to an unstable one, it has some merit based on more regional opponents. If that happened it's a shoe-in for Murray State I think because they can swap them in for MVFC. If that doesn't happen, UT-Arlington, UMKC, Green Bay, Cleveland State etc. are your picks,

Putting UT-Arlington and Little Rock in CUSA shores up their membership but it's the same issue they had in the Sun Belt. After that? It's pretty hard to know. I could make a case for:

Summit League: They aren't terribly far off the league's "footprint." It goes from Grand Forks to Tulsa and stretches out to Denver. Even if no Summit defections, it would be a 12-team league. I'd also have doubts on whether the Summit League actually wants expansion.

Southland: They fit the footprint, but why would they want to join that?

WAC: Provided no further defections, they're close to the Texas schools...but it would be an odd number and cause divisional imbalance if no other schools left. That, and football is going to have to drive the bus there too, they've crossed that bridge.

The WAC itself has to figure out who is staying and going or plans to...and also do everything to keep Grand Canyon happy. I have my doubts on them being a lock for any WCC invite (I think the for-profit thing will factor in more, but then again who knows the WCC is going to want to keep Gonzaga happy too with a competitive team).

5161 - 5180 of 5212 Posts