Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
5181 - 5200 of 5212 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

Well, by 2025 the WAC will have 7 football members if nobody else departs (unlikely).

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Rhode Island 35 UMass 22 -- in a game that was not as close as the final score might imply...

UMass fires their coach, effective immediately.

Posted in this thread because of all the discussion of whether UMass should join a FBS conference in all sports. It certainly seems like this latest news will push them to do something -- either join a conference or drop down to FCS -- because status quo is a trainwreck.
Maine 35 UMass 10

Something has to happen here...

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
This article is timely and appropriate, as well as shocking that ESPN would do an article about UConn: UConn football

It's funny, I kind of forget how oh-so-close they were to not being in this situation. They were favored as a pair with Syracuse to join the ACC but eventually that become Syracuse/Pitt because of BC not wanting another New England program in the league as well as the men's hoops issues with Calhoun. Then, the following year when Maryland left for the money in the Big Ten, it was between them and Louisville, but the 'Ville off a Sugar Bowl appearance and the far superior athletic facilities won out despite being a glorified CC academically.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Also, Incarnate Word makes it official - leaving the depleted Southland Conference for the WAC: UIW to the WAC

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Does anyone else feel like the Big East & A-10 should swap some members for geographical purposes, kinda like it would have made sense for C-USA and Sun Belt prior to the shift we have just seen?

I mean, sign me up for Creighton, St Louis, Loyola, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Dayton, Xavier, St Bonaventure and bring in Wichita State. And then some UConn, UMass, URI, Providence, St John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, St. Joe's, G'town, GW, George Mason, VCU, Richmond and Davidson

Reactions: ball_of_rubber

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Does anyone else feel like the Big East & A-10 should swap some members for geographical purposes, kinda like it would have made sense for C-USA and Sun Belt prior to the shift we have just seen?

I mean, sign me up for Creighton, St Louis, Loyola, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Dayton, Xavier, St Bonaventure and bring in Wichita State. And then some UConn, UMass, URI, Providence, St John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, St. Joe's, G'town, GW, George Mason, VCU, Richmond and Davidson
I’ve actually thought about that for a few years. East of the Appalachian can still be the Big East, west of the Appalachian can take either the old Great Midwest Conference name or the even older Midwest Collegiate Athletic Conference.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I’ve actually thought about that for a few years. East of the Appalachian can still be the Big East, west of the Appalachian can take either the old Great Midwest Conference name or the even older Midwest Collegiate Athletic Conference.
Same here. In my new lineup, Duquesne was one of the schools that got kicked to the curb, along with Fordham and LaSalle

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Is the Loyola-Chicago move to the A-10 a preemptive one (in case UMass leaves)?....or are they going to 16?

Not according to Matt Norlander (see his tweets below). The AD at Loyola was previously at A-10 member St Bonaventure and had been pursuing league membership since last summer. The new adds to MVC clinched their move.

About as good a move that the A-10 could reasonably make (other than getting Temple back). The Ramblers have been good in recent years, have a nice on campus 5k arena that opened in 1996 just north of downtown Chicago on the shores of Lake Michigan, and are in the 3rd largest market in the USA. Dayton and St Louis will likely very much like the move as provides another midwest member and they both have a lot of alums in Chicago.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Someone mentioned that the A-10 was thinking about maybe 3 pods of 5:

St Louis, Loyola, Dayton, Duquesne, St Bonaventure
UMass, URI, Fordham, St Joseph's, LaSalle
GW, George Mason, VCU, Richmond, Davidson

Play other 4 teams in your grouping h/a, play one grouping away and the other grouping home for a total of 18 conference games.

I don't see it, but thought it was interesting enough to post in this thread that protects us from ridicule.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Someone mentioned that the A-10 was thinking about maybe 3 pods of 5:

St Louis, Loyola, Dayton, Duquesne, St Bonaventure
UMass, URI, Fordham, St Joseph's, LaSalle
GW, George Mason, VCU, Richmond, Davidson

Play other 4 teams in your grouping h/a, play one grouping away and the other grouping home for a total of 18 conference games.

I don't see it, but thought it was interesting enough to post in this thread that protects us from ridicule.

I highly doubt that pods such as those above would be used for men's basketball in the A-10. The league tries to match up more games with one another for its teams that are projected as possible NCAA Tournament candidates. The pods however might work for other lower profile league sports to cut down on travel costs.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
MVC having discussions with Murray State, UT-Arlington and Kansas City. Pretty good article: MVC targets

Reactions: catpower
5181 - 5200 of 5212 Posts