Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
5201 - 5212 of 5212 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I'm not sure UMKC is a good fit but Murray State and UTA should be good basketball additions
I agree. And in the articles I have read about this situation, it seems like the MVC is looking at only adding 2 to bring their membership to 12. Remember, while they are losing Loyola, they have already added Belmont earlier so they would still be at 10 even if they didn't add anyone. I think they were looking at 3 in case Loyola decided to stay, so they would get to 14 members.

I think they add Murray State & Arlington. If that does happen, that will leave Little Rock as the only non-football playing member of the Sun Belt. It will be interesting to see what happens with them but I have to think something will have to happen pretty soon once the MVC gets done with their additions, which should be before Christmas.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I think they probably should only add two. But, what's been interesting is that the league traditionally has an even public/private split. They will when Belmont enters and Loyola leaves at 5/5. But, all 3 of the candidates are public. So, it'll be interesting if they hang on to that idea or not. Limiting options for private schools so my guess is it's no longer a thing. Only three private schools I'd consider adding if this even split was still to be enforced are all from the Summit League:

1) St. Thomas - I doubt they add a transition member, but St. Thomas is a high potential school. Lots of money from endowment/alumni base. Minneapolis is in the footprint. Their mostly D3 basketball roster will probably have a lot of downs (losing to Chicago State 77-72), but there's some positives (losing to a bad Fordham team by 6). They also have like 2 4-star guys committed for next year I think on Verbal Commits. Football wouldn't be an obstacle because it's Pioneer League, and probably to stay, and already their D3 to FCS roster is 6-3 overall and 5-2 in league play.

2) Denver - Longshot, but if you go to Dallas, why not? The only thing is they suck at basically everything except hockey, which is the top dog and probably are cool with being in the Summit League because they get to play UND and Omaha in all sports along with hockey.

3) Oral Roberts - You'd know you're getting good basketball and commitment...with some baggage. But, they'd bridge the gap between UT-Arlington and Missouri State. I think they're perfectly comfortable in the Summit (they returned from the Southland after all a few years ago). But, MVC is a step up.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
2) Denver - Longshot, but if you go to Dallas, why not? The only thing is they suck at basically everything except hockey, which is the top dog and probably are cool with being in the Summit League because they get to play UND and Omaha in all sports along with hockey.
I think that's a little harsh, they are also nationally competitive in soccer and lacrosse, and a national power in skiing. They just don't really care about basketball.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Former UMBC AD Tim Hall used to be the AD at UMKC when they moved from the Summit to the WAC in 2013. When I met him a few years ago, I asked him what the reasoning was for making that move, he mentioned that they were concerned about the increasing cost competitiveness of the Summit, especially with North Dakota St’s football team bringing in money. He is answer seemed vague, and this also was the same year he took the UMBC job; not saying one has to do with the other.

My interpretation of both his answer and UMKC now talking with the MVC is that the school was never happy with the Summit, but can’t find a better home.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Nothing new in here, but a great recap of conference alignment throughout the years. Was kinda fun reading through and remembering all the things that occurred.

History of conference realignment

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Nothing new in here, but a great recap of conference alignment throughout the years. Was kinda fun reading through and remembering all the things that occurred.

History of conference realignment
Nice recap. I also like how they briefly mentioned that the SEC in the 1930’s and the ACC in the 1950’s were both breakaway conferences off the SoCon. Fun fact: the ACC was created because those schools did not want to follow the rest of the SoCon in blackballing Kentucky basketball returning from their death sentence resulting from the NIT point-shaving scandal.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

Mentions that the Missouri Valley updates. Sounds as though Murray State and UT-Arlington are just about locks to move to 12 teams, but the league might be eyeing 14 teams. UIC is expected to make a pitch. Kansas City might have some doubts over their finances...if UMKC can't make the jump and they're serious about 14, Omaha is thrown out as another alternative. Not sure I fully buy Omaha, they're second fiddle to Creighton and I don't see how going back in there to try and grab more eyes benefits...but if you're at 14, you probably have to make divisions and they'd fit a MVC West. I could think of a lot of other better candidates like Milwaukee, Cleveland State or Green Bay if they can make it work financially. Hell if you can forgive its institutional misgivings, why not invite Oral Roberts?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts

Mentions that the Missouri Valley updates. Sounds as though Murray State and UT-Arlington are just about locks to move to 12 teams, but the league might be eyeing 14 teams. UIC is expected to make a pitch. Kansas City might have some doubts over their finances...if UMKC can't make the jump and they're serious about 14, Omaha is thrown out as another alternative. Not sure I fully buy Omaha, they're second fiddle to Creighton and I don't see how going back in there to try and grab more eyes benefits...but if you're at 14, you probably have to make divisions and they'd fit a MVC West. I could think of a lot of other better candidates like Milwaukee, Cleveland State or Green Bay if they can make it work financially. Hell if you can forgive its institutional misgivings, why not invite Oral Roberts?
Oh my...Omaha is a stretch as they are, well, just not good. It certainly fits geographically but I can't see any current member of the MVC being all that thrilled about that addition. All the programs you mentioned are far better options for them for sure, even the Oral Bobs. I remember reading that their time frame was making the announcement prior to Christmas so it should be coming up soon.

5201 - 5212 of 5212 Posts