Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
5241 - 5260 of 5640 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You have to wonder if, with the new NIL rules, they NCAA will come around to changing its rules on former CHL players.
They really should. At least allow some of them who played under 100 games or whatever. It benefits everyone. But, I wouldn't count on the NCAA doing it. You'd also need more CHL players willing to appeal to become eligible like the one guy from Bowling Green did. If the NCAA turns over running the sport to USA Hockey, I think they'd be a lot more willing to do it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Getting back on track, Murray State will be leaving the OVC for the Missouri Valley:

UIC is also expected to be added. That'll bring them to 12. Matt Brown says it's unknown if they're going to go to 14, since the MVC also considered Kansas City and UT Arlington. Says the Southland and WAC very interested in UT Arlington.

OVC expected it, Brown says the OVC is expected to reach out to Western Illinois (Summit), Arkansas Pine Bluff (SWAC), and some DIIs probably. Names Southern Indiana, Hillsdale, Grand Valley State and Lincoln Memorial.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Man, I thought Murray State to the MVC had already been announced. We are just way out in front of this stuff. I have a feeling Southern Indiana makes the move.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Thought I'd look through and do a league-by-league update to confirmed expansion/departures. Some of the arrival dates could always change, but that's what listed so far. I think I got all of them.

America East
OUT: Hartford (DIII TBD) (2023)

American Athletic
OUT: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston (Big 12) (2023)
IN: UAB, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, UT San Antonio (CUSA) (2023)

ASun
OUT: Liberty, Jacksonville State (CUSA) (2023)
IN: Austin Peay (OVC) (2022)

Atlantic 10
IN: Loyola Chicago (MVC) (2022)

Big 12
OUT: Texas, Oklahoma (SEC) (2025)
IN: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston (American), BYU (FBS Ind./WCC) (2023)

Big Sky
OUT: Southern Utah (WAC) (2022)

CAA
OUT: James Madison (Sun Belt) (2022? 2023?)

Conference USA
OUT: UAB, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, UT San Antonio (American) (2023), Marshall, Old Dominion, Southern Mississippi (Sun Belt) (2022)
IN: Liberty, Jacksonville State (ASun), New Mexico State (WAC/FBS Ind.), Sam Houston State (WAC) (2023)

Missouri Valley
OUT: Loyola Chicago (A10) (2022)
IN: Belmont, Murray State (OVC) (2022)

Ohio Valley
OUT: Belmont, Murray State (MVC), Austin Peay (ASun) (2022)
IN: Little Rock (Sun Belt) (2022)

SEC
IN: Texas, Oklahoma (Big 12) (2025)

Southland
OUT: Incarnate Word (WAC) (2022)
IN: Texas A&M Commerce (DII) (2022)

Sun Belt
OUT: Little Rock (OVC), UT Arlington (WAC)
IN: Old Dominion, Marshall, Southern Mississippi (CUSA) (2022), James Madison (CAA) (2022? 2023?)

West Coast
OUT: BYU (Big 12)

WAC
OUT: Chicago State (Independent?) (2022), New Mexico State, Sam Houston State (CUSA) (2023)
IN: Southern Utah (Big Sky), Incarnate Word (Southland), UT Arlington (Sun Belt) (2022)

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Thanks for doing that. Man, I kind of forgot how much movement there really has been already over the past few months. The Sun Belt really did well, not only with their additions, but by also being able to rid themselves of the 2 member schools that didn't sponsor football. It wasn't just that they got them out, but that it was done without actually booting them. There's no doubt the American got weaker but honestly, I don't think it will be long before UAB & Charlotte really grow. I have always felt like Charlotte should be a strong athletic department given its' location, resources, etc. C-USA will definitely be living up to its' name with members scattered all over this nation.

It will be interesting to see what changes happen in the next few months. I don't think it will be a ton, but I'm sure there will be some more movement.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I'm not sold on the growth of really any of the American schools. Charlotte is a big, thriving city full of college educated people. That's a plus. The minus is that "college educated" population all went to UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, Clemson, or South Carolina. They've got their teams, they've got easy travel to tailgate at those schools, they already really don't care about Charlotte athletics. And Charlotte isn't going to be playing any teams in the American that are going to get them to walk in off the street because they HAVE to see Charlotte play South Florida or Tulane or whoever.

A lot of the others are similar. Birmingham is full of SEC alums. San Antonio, Houston, and the Metroplex are full of UT/A&M/TCU/Baylor etc. alums. And the American isn't going to be good enough to sway any fans of the P5 schools to watch the American instead.

The American would have been better off grabbing schools that are already good at sports.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Thanks for doing that. Man, I kind of forgot how much movement there really has been already over the past few months. The Sun Belt really did well, not only with their additions, but by also being able to rid themselves of the 2 member schools that didn't sponsor football. It wasn't just that they got them out, but that it was done without actually booting them. There's no doubt the American got weaker but honestly, I don't think it will be long before UAB & Charlotte really grow. I have always felt like Charlotte should be a strong athletic department given its' location, resources, etc. C-USA will definitely be living up to its' name with members scattered all over this nation.

It will be interesting to see what changes happen in the next few months. I don't think it will be a ton, but I'm sure there will be some more movement.
Sun Belt came out smelling roses for sure. I think what we will see is some one-bid leagues solidifying things. OVC, Southland, WAC still have things that need to be figured out. Horizon and Summit pose some interesting questions that could go either way (adding or losing). Never count out the ASun. CUSA I have to imagine is seeing what's out there to get to 10-12 teams down the line too. That likely is where we see these FCS to FBS wannabes take what could be their last shot at getting to that level in a long time.

Either way, it's not over.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Thought I'd look through and do a league-by-league update to confirmed expansion/departures. Some of the arrival dates could always change, but that's what listed so far. I think I got all of them.

America East
OUT: Hartford (DIII TBD) (2023)

American Athletic
OUT: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston (Big 12) (2023)
IN: UAB, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, UT San Antonio (CUSA) (2023)

ASun
OUT: Liberty, Jacksonville State (CUSA) (2023)
IN: Austin Peay (OVC) (2022)

Atlantic 10
IN: Loyola Chicago (MVC) (2022)

Big 12
OUT: Texas, Oklahoma (SEC) (2025)
IN: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston (American), BYU (FBS Ind./WCC) (2023)

Big Sky
OUT: Southern Utah (WAC) (2022)

CAA
OUT: James Madison (Sun Belt) (2022? 2023?)

Conference USA
OUT: UAB, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, UT San Antonio (American) (2023), Marshall, Old Dominion, Southern Mississippi (Sun Belt) (2022)
IN: Liberty, Jacksonville State (ASun), New Mexico State (WAC/FBS Ind.), Sam Houston State (WAC) (2023)

Missouri Valley
OUT: Loyola Chicago (A10) (2022)
IN: Belmont, Murray State (OVC) (2022)

Ohio Valley
OUT: Belmont, Murray State (MVC), Austin Peay (ASun) (2022)
IN: Little Rock (Sun Belt) (2022)

SEC
IN: Texas, Oklahoma (Big 12) (2025)

Southland
OUT: Incarnate Word (WAC) (2022)
IN: Texas A&M Commerce (DII) (2022)

Sun Belt
OUT: Little Rock (OVC), UT Arlington (WAC)
IN: Old Dominion, Marshall, Southern Mississippi (CUSA) (2022), James Madison (CAA) (2022? 2023?)

West Coast
OUT: BYU (Big 12)

WAC
OUT: Chicago State (Independent?) (2022), New Mexico State, Sam Houston State (CUSA) (2023)
IN: Southern Utah (Big Sky), Incarnate Word (Southland), UT Arlington (Sun Belt) (2022)
Is it time to change the name of this thread to "Conference Expansion" Explosion Happening?

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I can't remember if it was mentioned further back in this thread, but Dixie State will now be known as Utah Tech University. I assume they will keep the "Trailblazers" nickname and be the Utah Tech Trailblazers. They are now searching for a new AD as theirs announced he was stepping down last Friday.

It still amazes me that Utah, with 3.3 million people, has 7 DI schools while their neighbor to the east, Colorado (5.9 million people), has only 5 and their neighbor to the south, Arizona (7.5 million residents), only has 4.

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
I can't remember if it was mentioned further back in this thread, but Dixie State will now be known as Utah Tech University. I assume they will keep the "Trailblazers" nickname and be the Utah Tech Trailblazers. They are now searching for a new AD as theirs announced he was stepping down last Friday.

It still amazes me that Utah, with 3.3 million people, has 7 DI schools while their neighbor to the east, Colorado (5.9 million people), has only 5 and their neighbor to the south, Arizona (7.5 million residents), only has 4.
Many of those schools get students from California, Las Vegas, and the Phoenix area.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Many of those schools get students from California, Las Vegas, and the Phoenix area.
True. I think most schools in the country get quite a few students from bordering states.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Isn't it about time for Mainejeff to sing his song about the CAA breaking up and those former AE schools will becoming back to the America East? Nothing like signing the same song for over 20 years and nothing happening.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Oh well. Thanks SEC. I have no doubts that they were pissed as hell when the news broke about Oklahoma and Texas joining their league prior to this expansion being done. They clearly wanted the expansion to happen and then announce those 2 were joining their ranks, effectively adding at least another seat most years in the expanded playoffs for their conference. The ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 aren't having this nonsense. Eventually we will get an expanded playoff but clearly "the alliance" isn't caving any time soon.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not surprised. The Alliance wants Power 5 auto-bids, and they weren’t prepared for the G5’s to stand up for themselves.
I haven't really been following CFB so I'm sure my reply is naive but what's the harm in 6 autobids (one for each conference and the top G5 team)? Then you can backfill the remaining 2 or 6 teams if they decide upon a 8 or 12 playoff. Is the worry too many at large bids would go to the SEC under this scenario? Does the SEC not want an autobid for each conference?

5241 - 5260 of 5640 Posts