Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
6741 - 6760 of 6781 Posts

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Means nothing, but an extra cup of coffee and a smile for Jeff...a Towson fan on the CSNBBS board (rando fan) just posted that he "heard that Delaware and Towson" are in the mix for the A-10. I am sure they are on the list...I just see other schools way ahead of them.

However, Jeff's dream of the CAA imploding got a rando poster "boost" this am.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Means nothing, but an extra cup of coffee and a smile for Jeff...a Towson fan on the CSNBBS board (rando fan) just posted that he "heard that Delaware and Towson" are in the mix for the A-10. I am sure they are on the list...I just see other schools way ahead of them.

However, Jeff's dream of the CAA imploding got a rando poster "boost" this am.
I'm going to take this a step forward and say that not only are Delaware and Towson in the mix, but so are Stony Brook, Temple and Buffalo, as the A10 is going to go to 20, but by doing this, they are elevating the first three to FBS + UMass and adding UConn as an affiliate to bring back A10 football as an FBS league!

PS by in the mix I mean there were blunt papers with those schools written down on them that accidentally fell into my mixer making my edibles.

·
Registered
275 Posts
No offense to Delaware and Towson, but if teams such as them are ever admitted to the A-10, the basketball powers such as SLU, VCU, Dayton and others need to break away and form a new conference. The A-10 already has enough LaSalle type bottom feeders. That type of move would lower the conference to a low major basketball conference with 20 teams seeking the one bid. No thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
No offense to Delaware and Towson, but if teams such as them are ever admitted to the A-10, the basketball powers such as SLU, VCU, Dayton and others need to break away and form a new conference. The A-10 already has enough LaSalle type bottom feeders. That type of move would lower the conference to a low major basketball conference with 20 teams seeking the one bid. No thanks.
They have 5k size basketball facilities. UD has better overall athletic facilities than a large chunk of A-10 schools. I Can’t see Towson, but if UD put about 1.4 more into their basketball budget they’d be middle of A-10 spending. I know what you are saying but if you are adding a 16th Team UD has to be on a list of 1-5 schools. Thinking any AAC schools is a joke. MVC just got Murray State. You have like Belmont, Wichita, UD then who? not a MAAC school. Much to the dismay of Iona, SIena, Fairfield. Maybe CofC..

·
Registered
275 Posts
They have 5k size basketball facilities. UD has better overall athletic facilities than a large chunk of A-10 schools. I Can’t see Towson, but if UD put about 1.4 more into their basketball budget they’d be middle of A-10 spending. I know what you are saying but if you are adding a 16th Team UD has to be on a list of 1-5 schools. Thinking any AAC schools is a joke. MVC just got Murray State. You have like Belmont, Wichita, UD then who? not a MAAC school. Much to the dismay of Iona, SIena, Fairfield. Maybe CofC..
Belmont or Wichita would be good adds. Belmont is just moving to the MVC this year though. I suppose they could pull a Butler and play one year in their new conference before moving up to a better level. I believe most A-10 fans of the better basketball teams see no need to add any extra teams. Our problem is the bottom of the league. We don’t need any teams that add to that mess. Davidson and VCU were good adds, but George Mason? In addition, what kind of a market does DE add, the Wilmington market? Don’t see much there, and we already have two teams in the Philly market. The best chance of DE going to the A-10 would be if they changed their mascot to the Rams. We only have three teams in the A-10 with Rams mascots, and are in dire need of a fourth.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You're not wrong, but other than begging the Big East to let them in, what options would those schools you talk about truly have?

I know it's a downgrade in prestige, but considering the difference in expenses, I'm still waiting for a Fordham or La Salle to muster up the courage to try to downgrade to the CAA, MAAC, NEC, or AE. I'm sure there will be an initial hit, but considering the financial peril some of them are in and how non-competitive they are on the court, it's worth a consideration.

From the A-10 standpoint, I know everyone is in the "bigger is better mindset", but are you better off letting a LaSalle walk away with no penalty, split the revenue among fewer teams, while also ridding yourself of some anchors that are hurting your at large resumes? I think you might.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You're not wrong, but other than begging the Big East to let them in, what options would those schools you talk about truly have?

I know it's a downgrade in prestige, but considering the difference in expenses, I'm still waiting for a Fordham or La Salle to muster up the courage to try to downgrade to the CAA, MAAC, NEC, or AE. I'm sure there will be an initial hit, but considering the financial peril some of them are in and how non-competitive they are on the court, it's worth a consideration.

From the A-10 standpoint, I know everyone is in the "bigger is better mindset", but are you better off letting a LaSalle walk away with no penalty, split the revenue among fewer teams, while also ridding yourself of some anchors that are hurting your at large resumes? I think you might.
Fordham is not in financial peril. They have a billion-plus dollar endowment and a globally top ranked business school. Financially they're arguably on stronger footing than many BE schools, St. John's included. Being located in NYC gives them a big cushion and advantage as they're never going to have the same enrollment challenges of schools like St Bona or La Salle as prospective students will always gravitate towards NYC and, unlike Boston, there aren't a lot of Fordham or NYU-type schools to choose from. Now, the issue is the priority it places on basketball; but that's a leadership issue, not a school/sustainability issue.

With Fordham's current leadership (obviously deemphasizing men's basketball) you could make the case they'd jump on a Patriot League invite if one came. From a very simplified view, schools that want to change conferences because they have "cool kids' club" ambitions seem to always aspire to two conferences: A10 (for men's basketball relevance) or Patriot (institutional prestige/"eliteness").

·
Registered
307 Posts
Fordham is not in financial peril. They have a billion-plus dollar endowment and a globally top ranked business school. Financially they're arguably on stronger footing than many BE schools, St. John's included. Being located in NYC gives them a big cushion and advantage as they're never going to have the same enrollment challenges of schools like St Bona or La Salle as prospective students will always gravitate towards NYC and, unlike Boston, there aren't a lot of Fordham or NYU-type schools to choose from. Now, the issue is the priority it places on basketball; but that's a leadership issue, not a school/sustainability issue.

With Fordham's current leadership (obviously deemphasizing men's basketball) you could make the case they'd jump on a Patriot League invite if one came. From a very simplified view, schools that want to change conferences because they have "cool kids' club" ambitions seem to always aspire to two conferences: A10 (for men's basketball relevance) or Patriot (institutional prestige/"eliteness").
Yes Fordham is an athletic relevance/competitiveness one more than a financial one.

The A10 is in a weird spot due to how wide the gap is in terms of haves and have-nots. Unless Temple is willing to kneecap its football program like UConn/UMass have and/or Wichita State doesn't mind the added travel, I don't really see much in the way of options for the conference to expand without bottom feeding and further exasperating their current issues.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
The A-10 isn't adding another mouth to feed. If some basketball program establishes itself as a consistent top 40 program, like Loyola did, the A-10 will try to add them. Otherwise, they will sit at 15. Delaware and Towson are non-starters.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Not surprised at all to see the MAAC welcome these orphaned NEC programs in MLax. I do wonder if geography kept Merrimack out, or if they just negotiated other plans on their own.

The Tweet clearly alludes to the likelihood that Merrimack will join America East as a MLax affiliate, because I doubt they would be welcomed by any other regional DI league (Ivy, Patriot, A-10, Big East, ACC).

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Not surprised at all to see the MAAC welcome these orphaned NEC programs in MLax. I do wonder if geography kept Merrimack out, or if they just negotiated other plans on their own.

The Tweet clearly alludes to the likelihood that Merrimack will join America East as a MLax affiliate, because I doubt they would be welcomed by any other regional DI league (Ivy, Patriot, A-10, Big East, ACC).
NM

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I agree, I think Merrimack is coming to the AE for Lax. Now, let's go way deep into this, and let this thread keep on going. Impact:

1. NEC- Losing four teams including Bryant, St. Joes, Bryant, Hobart, and Mt. St Mary's. Wagner, LIU, Merrimack, and Sacred Heart. Stonehill DOES NOT sponsor Lax. If you believe the NEC commissioner, then the NEC is expecting to expand and that school will have lax. Stonehill is likely to start up lax (my guess only), and that would give the NEC 5 teams...still not enough. The NEC would be 10 teams: CCSU, Wagner, SFU, SFU-Brooklyn, Sacred Heart, Merrimack, LIU, FDU, Stonehill, and another school. So if they plan on bringing back lax, they will need at least one affiliate. The NEC is also very much at risk for losing SFU-Brooklyn, bringing them back to 9. Howard is most likely to announce the CAA move in June, so the Morgan St and Delaware St. moves are likely. Neither school has lax...maybe they add. But the most likely lax scenario is affiliate status for the NEC to rebuild their league.

2. MAAC- The MAAC is losing St. Bonaventure and Monmouth. They will be left with Marist, Manhattan, Siena, Quinnipiac, and Canisius. They are gaining Mt. Saint Mary's. That's six. Then they pick up 3 in LIU, Wagner, and Sacred Heart. They then add VMI as an affiliate (announced last month). That's 10. That's ungodly, even for a season. I really don't know how the NEC is rebuilding lax...and I think this is more permanent than the NEC is letting on. With 14-15 lax games, I can't see how the league isn't losing another school, presumably the Q.

3. The CAA will lose UMASS definitively. They gain Monmouth, SBU, and Hampton. The original A-10 rumor had Fairfield going to the A-10 lax. If this happens, it basically cements the CURRENT view that Fairfield is out of the CAA North permanent all-sports talks. The pressure will clearly be on them to put up or shut up if indeed the North is coming down to Albany and Fairfield (I think the Q is not a school the CAA wants). The CAA Lax league will be Delaware, Towson, Drexel, Hofstra, Monmouth, SBU, and Hampton (if this all goes through). At 7, this is a good size and the CAA isn't "forced" to add a lax school ASAP. They could continue the alleged talks they are having with North schools. SBU for UMASS is a wash...Same with Monmouth and Fairfield. Hampton is an afterthought.

4. A-10- Now becomes St. Joe's, UMASS , St. Bonaventure, Fairfield, Hobart, Richmond (leaving SoCon). That's six teams. They will need one more. So Merrimack COULD be in play. However, the original rumors had High Point (they have a huge focus on the Northeast for enrollment...and the fact they have not been added as a CAA South team (yet) seems to be an indication they will be in play for the A-10. If Howard is added to the CAA (and they will be based on all accounts so far), then the next southern school for the CAA will be a football school (or is likely to be).

5. SoCon- they are done...completely done. Richmond, High Point, VMI, and Hampton are gone. Mercer and Jax will need to find a home.

6. America East- loses SBU but gains Bryant. Net zero loss in numbers. AE is at 7 schools. They could take on Merrimack however, I have to think the fact that they have not secured the services of a new league means one of the following: 1) The AE is ok at 7; 2) The AE is gaining an 8th (Quinnipiac) and certainly does not want to go 9 (takes away from ALL IMPORTANT OOC games that can shoot a great team up the rankings like Albany has done in the past, with wins); and 3) Ok with an 8th but may be waiting to see if Albany to the CAA is real...I don't think it is for this year...but who knows.

The Big East and PL are unlikely to pick up Merrimack.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,756 · (Edited)
This realignment in the Northeast continues to be piecemeal...it's fascinating to follow.

Regarding Quinnipiac....they can't be happy with the direction of the MAAC...can they? They are probably pulling every string to be considered for A-10 or CAA membership....it ain't happening. I think that once this CAA stuff settles out....they will announce that they are joining AE.

Albany is pretty cut and dry....if they are offered by the CAA....they are gone. It's a no brainer for them. And unlike Stony Brook they would be leaving on good terms which helps them and others left behind like Maine, UNH and Vermont should unforseen NCAA stuff necessitate further moves involving these schools.

Howard to the CAA makes sense however the CAA brand will continue to drift toward a Patriot League feel with a bigger emphasis on academic and cultural prestige and less emphasis on athletic prowess.

Fairfield.....they are probably begging for a CAA invite. I don't think that they are coming to AE either way.

Delaware....I've added them to the schools to watch mix just because of the A-10 rumors. I feel like the one time we ignore Delaware.....they might pull a shocking move. Of course the A-10 has to pursue and accept them but I think they would have some pretty strong support from the Eastern flank of the league.....I think that UMass and URI would actually go to bat for them. JMU to the Sunbelt was a wake-up call and future NCAA changes probably has their Administration a bit nervous. They would have to be very interested in hoops and Olympic sports schedules that would include URI, UMass, Fordham, St. Joes, GW, Mason, VCU, Richmond and Davidson.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
4. A-10- Now becomes St. Joe's, UMASS , St. Bonaventure, Fairfield, Hobart, Richmond (leaving SoCon). That's six teams. They will need one more. So Merrimack COULD be in play. However, the original rumors had High Point (they have a huge focus on the Northeast for enrollment...and the fact they have not been added as a CAA South team (yet) seems to be an indication they will be in play for the A-10. If Howard is added to the CAA (and they will be based on all accounts so far), then the next southern school for the CAA will be a football school (or is likely to be).

Aren't you forgetting Richmond? The Spiders and St Joe's are among the 18 teams in 2022 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree, I think Merrimack is coming to the AE for Lax. Now, let's go way deep into this, and let this thread keep on going. Impact:

6. America East- loses SBU but gains Bryant. Net zero loss in numbers. AE is at 7 schools. They could take on Merrimack however, I have to think the fact that they have not secured the services of a new league means one of the following: 1) The AE is ok at 7; 2) The AE is gaining an 8th (Quinnipiac) and certainly does not want to go 9 (takes away from ALL IMPORTANT OOC games that can shoot a great team up the rankings like Albany has done in the past, with wins); and 3) Ok with an 8th but may be waiting to see if Albany to the CAA is real...I don't think it is for this year...but who knows.

The Big East and PL are unlikely to pick up Merrimack.

If they have 9 members can’t they just play seven conference games like they would if they had 8? protect those OOC games.

Great overall post by the way. I think you hit the nail right on the head. The fact that Merrimack didn’t go to the MAAC is basically saying “we want the AE someday”. I’m sure as you said figuring out logistics. Regardless of what happens…..I just pray Albany doesn’t leave

6741 - 6760 of 6781 Posts