Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
6761 - 6780 of 6781 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Despite what the Commissioner says, it is unlikely that the NEC is going to sponsor MLax anytime in the near future. All 4 current NEC MLax teams need associate memberships in other leagues.

Most of the potential NEC expansion schools rumored do not sponsor MLax (Delaware State, Morgan State, and New Haven). And none of the current NEC non-MLAX schools are likely to add the sport

Only potential members Bentley, LeMoyne, and Mercyhurst currently play MLax and I doubt all 3 are invited unless there are additional defections.

Lastly, I do not see any other MLax teams wanting or needing to join the NEC as an associate either. Schools like Hobart, VMI, and High Point have already found conferences to take them in.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
WTF...honest to god, not all of them but MANY SBU fans are literally delusional, including their sportscasters. Start with 48:45 and go to 52. The conversation, prior, is about AE baseball and Albany not being great this year. That is fine...but then they go on to talk about UA potentially going to the CAA and it should be Binghamton going to the CAA, and that Albany is SBU's little brother and we have done nothing, overall in the AE. And that you have to win in the AE before moving on. WTF has SBU done?

It's beyond comical. It is literally delusional, especially at the 50 minute mark. I am beyond shocked at how uninformed and literally STUPID these two are.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
In the sport that matters most for America East, Stony Brook has but one single AE Tournament championship and NCAA berth (2016) in 20 plus years. Albany has five in that same time-frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, it's great to hear someone acknowledge the brilliance of Binghamton's strategy for moving up the conference ranks. While most programs focus on building a winning program in a premier revenue sport like football or basketball, Binghamton opted not to play the first, to settle for mediocrity in the second (after an initial scandal), and then to attract a massive gift to build a top-notch facility in baseball, a sport in which interest at every level is declining and a sport that literally NO CONFERENCE has ever viewed as relevant when making conference affiliation decisions.

(For the record, I'm a huge baseball fan, so I don't take any pleasure in saying this.)

·
Premium Member
34,222 Posts
Well, it's great to hear someone acknowledge the brilliance of Binghamton's strategy for moving up the conference ranks. While most programs focus on building a winning program in a premier revenue sport like football or basketball, Binghamton opted not to play the first, to settle for mediocrity in the second (after an initial scandal), and then to attract a massive gift to build a top-notch facility in baseball, a sport in which interest at every level is declining and a sport that literally NO CONFERENCE has ever viewed as relevant when making conference affiliation decisions.

(For the record, I'm a huge baseball fan, so I don't take any pleasure in saying this.)
UB: Did Bing ever disclose where the $ for baseball came from? Was it the Susquehanna guys? Curious on that.

·
Premium Member
34,222 Posts
There were rumors in the Binghamton subreddit that it was a Yankee executive.
A Yankee "executive" is not going to be able to donate $60M for baseball at Binghamton unless said executive is Hal Steinbrenner

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
A Yankee "executive" is not going to be able to donate $60M for baseball at Binghamton unless said executive is Hal Steinbrenner
it is allegedly a minority owner, who holds shares and titles in the llc that is the op entity of the yankees. They are technically considered executives by the llc. So yeah, it is posaicle. The last 1% share for the yankees went on thr market for 24 million.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Lol.

I learned last night Carol Leifer, who Elaine is based on, spent her first few undergrad years at Binghamton (then Harper College), before transferring to Queens College where she met Seinfeld.
interesting….soooo off topic so I’ll stop here but a guy who goes to my gym was Larry David’s roommate many years ago and his persona and look is what Kramer was based on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
interesting….soooo off topic so I’ll stop here but a guy who goes to my gym was Larry David’s roommate many years ago and his persona and look is what Kramer was based on.
Kenny Kramer! In one of DVD extras Larry said Kenny demanded a payment to use his name for the character so Larry & Jerry tried to find another name but they liked the name "Kramer" too much. LOL.

Ok, enough off topic!

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
So hard to end Seinfeld "stuff"...Larry David grew up a block from me and attended my high school 20 years prior.
Seinfeld's apartment is my Microsoft Teams background. Sorry, all I got.

Reactions: charliemike

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hartford defeated Maine in baseball this morning to secure the final AE playoff spot, and eliminate Albany from contention for a spot in the AE playoffs. So for anyone who has been wondering whether Albany has been waiting to announce a move until after any of their teams could be excluded from post-season play -- that time starts now.

And Hartford lives on as an AE member for another week.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Hartford defeated Maine in baseball this morning to secure the final AE playoff spot, and eliminate Albany from contention for a spot in the AE playoffs. So for anyone who has been wondering whether Albany has been waiting to announce a move until after any of their teams could be excluded from post-season play -- that time starts now.

Not going anywhere

·
Registered
204 Posts

Will be interesting to see if there is any movement from QU and what Merrimack will do for LAX. I think we’ll also see the Howard/rest of MEAC moves very soon now that sports are almost completely done

6761 - 6780 of 6781 Posts