Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
6801 - 6820 of 6847 Posts

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,801 ·
On a side note.....Cal and Stanford have released their field hockey schedules and there are no signs of Q or Fairfield on them....so it looks like there will be no July 1 announcements as it concerns Q, Fairfield & AE.

·
Super Moderator
6,920 Posts
Wow, reading that article, Rider appears to be in a mess. And there have to be many more schools across the country in similar situations. The pandemic-caused issues coupled with the surging prices on everything right now are really showing their true effects on these small schools now. Bigger schools are feeling the pinch as well. It's really a rough scene across the board for about 3/4ers of the conferences.
When we start seeing more of this, especially in non-flagship public schools, it may be the end of the student loan bubble.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
On a side note.....Cal and Stanford have released their field hockey schedules and there are no signs of Q or Fairfield on them....so it looks like there will be no July 1 announcements as it concerns Q, Fairfield & AE.
Where do you see Stanford's? I do see Cal's on their website, which does include Albany.

·
Super Moderator
6,920 Posts
Texas’s and Oklahoma’s moves to the SEC will most likely happen a year early, in 2024. Cincinnati, BYU, and USF just announced an agreement with the AAC to leave next year, which means in 2023-2024, the Big XII will have (if my math is right) 14 teams.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,806 ·
Where do you see Stanford's? I do see Cal's on their website, which does include Albany.
Cached.

On a side note....Maine released its women's soccer schedule as well.....it only has Bryant as new AE addition. Weird schedule....2 games each vs. Bryant and Holy Cross. Come on Maine....stop treating women's soccer like a club sport.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cached.

On a side note....Maine released its women's soccer schedule as well.....it only has Bryant as new AE addition. Weird schedule....2 games each vs. Bryant and Holy Cross. Come on Maine....stop treating women's soccer like a club sport.
This is such an odd schedule! Only because they are playing the conference opponent twice. But per Maine’s media release the first meeting doesn’t count as a conference game. Which is so odd!
And also usually they play 18 regular season games. But the schedule only has 16 games.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Bryant joins Southland conference for four sports:

Men's and Women's Tennis and Men's and Women's Golf.
Bryant to join Southland Conference as affiliate members in four sports beginning July 1, 2022

As a reminder, Bryant field teams in the following sports not sponsored by America East:
  • Football - Big South
  • Men's Tennis - Southland
  • Men's Golf - Southland
  • Women's Tennis - Southland
  • Women's Golf - Southland
  • Women's Rowing - TBD
  • Women's Bowling - TBD
That'll be quite the travel budget for tennis and golf. Almost appears they're being a bit stubborn trying to find homes for these niche programs rather than just use the conference realignment as an excuse to drop them (or run them as independents on a shoe string budget... should be easier to do that as individual sports compared to team sports) and then plow the savings into football, basketball and lacrosse.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
That'll be quite the travel budget for tennis and golf. Almost appears they're being a bit stubborn trying to find homes for these niche programs rather than just use the conference realignment as an excuse to drop them (or run them as independents on a shoe string budget... should be easier to do that as individual sports compared to team sports) and then plow the savings into football, basketball and lacrosse.
I would assume that they aren't going to play regular season matches in the Southland, just fly down there for the conference championships.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would assume that they aren't going to play regular season matches in the Southland, just fly down there for the conference championships.
This! NJIT mens and womens Tennis program is part of the Southand conference as well. They did not play any regular season games. Just flew down for the conference championship. I believe they ranked according to the number of wins each team had for the season.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
This! NJIT mens and womens Tennis program is part of the Southand conference as well. They did not play any regular season games. Just flew down for the conference championship. I believe they ranked according to the number of wins each team had for the season.
Interesting. Binghamton is in the MAC (not MAAC) for Men's Tennis and plays a full round robin conference schedule.

The Binghamton Men's Golf team, on the other hand, is in the Big Sky Conference and the only real connection is that they fly out west for the championship each year.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Bryant joins Southland conference for four sports:

Men's and Women's Tennis and Men's and Women's Golf.
Bryant to join Southland Conference as affiliate members in four sports beginning July 1, 2022

As a reminder, Bryant field teams in the following sports not sponsored by America East:
  • Football - Big South
  • Men's Tennis - Southland
  • Men's Golf - Southland
  • Women's Tennis - Southland
  • Women's Golf - Southland
  • Women's Rowing - TBD
  • Women's Bowling - TBD
This tells me that both the MAAC and Patriot were not very receptive to adding Bryant as an associate member.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Interesting. Binghamton is in the MAC (not MAAC) for Men's Tennis and plays a full round robin conference schedule.

The Binghamton Men's Golf team, on the other hand, is in the Big Sky Conference and the only real connection is that they fly out west for the championship each year.
Hartford is also in the big sky for golf….or At least was.

·
Registered
311 Posts
In that context, now these type of relationships make sense.

·
Super Moderator
6,920 Posts
Texas’s and Oklahoma’s moves to the SEC will most likely happen a year early, in 2024. Cincinnati, Houston, and USF just announced an agreement with the AAC to leave next year, which means in 2023-2024, the Big XII will have (if my math is right) 14 teams.
The AAC is streamlining the process, with the departing teams’ replacements coming in at the same time.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Wow...this is quite the shocker. They were set to announce on the 16th of June. I think the political pressure became way too great.

The CAA's next move is simple: Go hard at Fairfield and / or Albany. Albany makes it easy for Football. Fairfield makes it easy as well, since they don't have football.

That said, the CAA gambled with Hampton. I just don't see them improving. I think NC A&T they did well however, I think they are a potential FBS flight risk. In the end, Hampton is an anchor if they stay at 14...but it is balanced out by A&T.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
6801 - 6820 of 6847 Posts