Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
6821 - 6840 of 6847 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
$500 million on capital projects? That is a butt-load of dough.
This has been on going in private for a looooong time. Whether this actually goes on, TBD. Dr. G. has been working the government and private donor route for a bit on this, and even the NCAA behind closed doors to expedite the transition. Personally, and based on Rowan's location and breadth of offerings, campus, etc. (compared to Rutgers-Camden), I think this will happen.

Now, that being said, they 100% do not a 5000-7000 seat arena. No sir, no how. Rowan will be an NEC type school at first, with the potential to grow into an America East school. Yep, you heard that right...they would be a PERFECT fit for the America East once they grow the academic side a bit more. They would bridge a gap between UMBC and NJIT, and are in a fertile recruiting area. They are not going A-10 and they are not going CAA. Even with that said, most new arenas/stadiums are on a 10% downgrade as sports, outside of the deep south and pockets of P5 schools, are losing in-person attendance. For example, USF and SDSU are building 35,000 seat stadiums with the ability to go up to 45k. That's the right size. Albany is going to 3800, and I think the right size for us eventually is 5000, but with SRO and the ability to use the MVP Arena...it's the right size. So, unless Rowan is building this for concerts (like UMBC) then this is overkill.

For those who aren't up on the athletic history of Rowan, they are a consistent DIII power and when Albany played them in football at the DIII level, they were chock full of D1 transfers on Rowan...and not scrubs...just players whose academic side was suspect. That's always been the issue with Rowan, in the past...compared to that of TCNJ.

If Rowan moves up...they will QUICKLY become a low-mid/major player.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
For some history on this...it is QUITE aggressive, and smart PPP work. If they get this done via PPP, it will be a boon locally. They will most certainly need to upgrade the football stadium, however they have space around the current site to do so. This was the 2017 article describing the original plan. 4500 seats is the right number for them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Meanwhile UVM sits with a hole in the ground and apparently a pile of steel that is being stored somewhere (I believe someone had posted before that UVM had purchased the steel for the new arena).

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Meanwhile UVM sits with a hole in the ground and apparently a pile of steel that is being stored somewhere (I believe someone had posted before that UVM had purchased the steel for the new arena).
Albany could use that steel right about now for our arena; maybe we buy it off you?! (*Ducks for cover).

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Rowan was going after the Rutgers Camden campus couple of years ago.
Does Rowan have to jump to D2 first before the make the move to D1? Or can they directly go to D1 from D3?
They have to go through D2. The "St. Thomas Exception" does not apply here- St. Thomas was being blackballed from competition for spending too much money. The NJAC isn't about to finagle their way to ousting Rowan.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
They have to go through D2. The "St. Thomas Exception" does not apply here- St. Thomas was being blackballed from competition for spending too much money. The NJAC isn't about to finagle their way to ousting Rowan.
It has been well "publicized" that Dr. G has been working the NCAA in the backroom. What angle he has, I really do not know because of precisely your argument about St. Thomas-- totally different circumstances. However, I have spoken to a few people that have said Dr. G has made headway. Honestly, I think this is all bluster to get more cash out of the State...but I do think that Rowan will be D1, eventually.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
It has been well "publicized" that Dr. G has been working the NCAA in the backroom. What angle he has, I really do not know because of precisely your argument about St. Thomas-- totally different circumstances. However, I have spoken to a few people that have said Dr. G has made headway. Honestly, I think this is all bluster to get more cash out of the State...but I do think that Rowan will be D1, eventually.
Yep, "the NCAA makes its own rules and can break or change its own rules as it sees fit" is a big caveat.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This may or may not indicate what coaches think about their conference. Manhattan college lacrosse HC left for UMass Lowell couple of weeks ago after winning the MAAC. And now LIU head coach is leaving to take over the NJIT HC job.
Good gets for the AE!

Apparently there won't be any more expansion this year, but I really think the AE is going to improve vs our regional conferences over the next few years. I really hope Fairfield leaves for the CAA, that would make the decision for QU very easy IMO.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
This may or may not indicate what coaches think about their conference. Manhattan college lacrosse HC left for UMass Lowell couple of weeks ago after winning the MAAC. And now LIU head coach is leaving to take over the NJIT HC job.
I still think of the MAAC as a basketball conference and AE as an athletic conference.

And even then you can still use AE to be a better basketball program if you want, see Vermont.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think Rowan would be a good addition to D1 and a great add to America East. That said, they don't need a basketball arena that size. Only 63 teams averaged more than 7,000 this past season and only 89 above 5,000. Build a state of the art 2,500-3,000 seat arena and try to bang it out every night.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
HBCU GameDay reporting that Howard had standing offers from both the CAA and NEC.

NEC was also having discussions with Delaware State and Morgan State.

America East had strong interest in Morgan State.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Very interesting, I would have to imagine that Morgan State would only replace UMBC if they left? It would seem odd to me to have two schools in Baltimore around 13 miles apart. Can someone tell me what Morgan State would bring to the table because it doesn't seem to be basketball.

6821 - 6840 of 6847 Posts