Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
7081 - 7093 of 7093 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,974 Posts
Nothing really new in this article…
…however, this is a pretty interesting.
The SEC and Big Ten have a chance to monopolize the sport. Perhaps that has already happened. Administrators within both leagues are treading lightly out of an awareness of antitrust issues.

·
Premium Member
34,265 Posts
Fear where this is where it's all heading RE: NCAA Tournament. When/ if that does happen, I'll be fully out on NCAA D1 basketball. IDGAF about 60 teams of Clemson Vs Washington or Syracuse vs Iowa State or whatever that piece of garbage tournament becomes. The only way I think I'd still care is if there became a separate mid-major NCAA Tournament.

·
Super Moderator
6,974 Posts
Fear where this is where it's all heading RE: NCAA Tournament. When/ if that does happen, I'll be fully out on NCAA D1 basketball. IDGAF about 60 teams of Clemson Vs Washington or Syracuse vs Iowa State or whatever that piece of garbage tournament becomes. The only way I think I'd still care is if there became a separate mid-major NCAA Tournament.
I don’t think I’d care about a separate mid-major tournament. It might as well be called Division 2, rename Division 2 to Division 3, and Division 3 into Division 4.

We all know that’s the end goal.

·
Registered
401 Posts
One thing that could happen and might actually get some traction with schools is an expanded tournament wherein there is basically a mid major play in tournament with eight regional pods of 4 schools each. Those regional pods would play into the 15 and 16 seed lines in the main tournament which is where most of the tournament revenue would be paid out. It gives the big schools the top 56 seed lines and most of the revenue and allows smaller conferences to get more teams "in the tournament" and therfore helps coaches keep their jobs.

Where one draws the line between big conference and small is up for debate (AAC, A10, MWC etc) but this would give the big guys more without killing Cinderella completely and creating regional play in tournament among the best mid majors.

·
Registered
985 Posts
One thing that could happen and might actually get some traction with schools is an expanded tournament wherein there is basically a mid major play in tournament with eight regional pods of 4 schools each. Those regional pods would play into the 15 and 16 seed lines in the main tournament which is where most of the tournament revenue would be paid out. It gives the big schools the top 56 seed lines and most of the revenue and allows smaller conferences to get more teams "in the tournament" and therfore helps coaches keep their jobs.

Where one draws the line between big conference and small is up for debate (AAC, A10, MWC etc) but this would give the big guys more without killing Cinderella completely and creating regional play in tournament among the best mid majors.
This is certainly better than eliminating the mid major conferences but the irony is that it could actually hurt the top seeds. If you’re a number 2 seed, would you rather play number 13 Mississippi State or number 15 Murray State? There are enough good players out there that the best mid majors will still be very competitive with the seventh place high major. Now the team that would have been an 11 or 12 is a 15. I don’t think they want any part of that.

Unfortunately, this whole thing seems like a classic case of “if it ain’t broke, break it.” All due respect to the Super Bowl and CFP semi finals and the July 4 hot dog eating thing, but the first weekend of the NCAA tournament is the best annual sporting event that exists in the U.S. Although I watch the whole tournament, I look forward way more to the first week than to the Final 4.

Unfortunately, there are probably enough people who will watch the bastardized version of the tournament that it would still work fine. But the magic of the whole thing will be gone.

·
Registered
401 Posts
That would be ironic if the goal was to make it easier for the blue bloods however all of the conference realignment at the p5 level is about money. They want more of the NCAA Tournament revenue shares. They also I think realize that without Cinderella those shares are worth less so this is kind of the middle ground of having 8 of the best Cinderella stories without having to give as big a share to the AE or other bottom leagues

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hopefully the AE can raise RPI on its own, I think with all of the facilities being invested in by various schools (except our broke ass) and the combination of adding Bryant who is going to be a strong program for multiple sports. We can elevate ourselves.
I know this is also a stretch but I really hope Bighamton adds hockey, uses that 4.7k arena that's like 5 min from campus and is added to Hockey East, I'm sure some people would hate it but I think its an excellent option for the 12th member.

You know for a while I used to think the AE not adding members and being proactive was bad on their part, and I still believe that for sure, but with how the landscape might change in 5 years or less across multiple avenues of college athletics, at least we are giving ourselves space to grow.

I really hope Albany doesn't leave. The "premier" schools in the CAA are arguably UD and W&M. They are also the most likely to leave for the A-10 if the opportunity arises. I know SBU is happy with their decision and is mad at the AE for stopping them from competing(they did the same to BU)..... but man if UD or W&M or both are gone in 5 years and say the CAA is not able to add Albany or any other AE teams..... Yikes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No official renderings or dates yet but Delaware is going to announce another 80million in athletic facilities. A big chunk is for a new IPF. Not sure what’s going to happen with college athletics in the next 5 years but UD seems to be making the right moves to step up. Wherever that step will be, who knows

7081 - 7093 of 7093 Posts