Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
7241 - 7260 of 7295 Posts

· Registered
4,341 Posts
Any rumblings on Binghamton's study looking into adding hockey? How long does something like that take?
Depends on the money, I would assume. If Binghamton had someone lined up and ready to write a huge check, it would have probably been announced by now. If Binghamton had been relying on a thriving economy to create enough revenue to add a program, well, settle in.

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Depends on the money, I would assume. If Binghamton had someone lined up and ready to write a huge check, it would have probably been announced by now. If Binghamton had been relying on a thriving economy to create enough revenue to add a program, well, settle in.
More complex, per my understanding. There is a host of City offered tax incentives that are a part of this venture. They have a big donor lined up...the City is the next piece of the puzzle.

So, your overall "settle in" comment would be accurate....however I do think it happens.

· Super Moderator
7,282 Posts
As a Billikens fan I would have absolutely zero interest in DE being invited to the A-10 (unless it’s in a trade for LaSalle😀). They add absolutely nothing for basketball. The A-10 needs to add teams closer to the Mid-West, such as Belmont.
I’d honestly like to see a) Fordham and LaSalle leave for the Patriot and MAAC respectively; b) the Midwest schools in both the A10 and Big East breakaway and form a Midwest conference; c) Richmond join the Big East; d) Delaware join the A10; then e) the CAA fall apart, forcing the AE to make a final decision on football.

· Registered
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,249 ·
Wow. HUGE move by the Big 12 recognizing the football-less Gonzaga brand.....and would be a shrewd move by Gonzaga to guarantee themselves a seat at the P5 table thereby guaranteeing their slot in future NCAA tourneys.

· Registered
450 Posts
Wow. HUGE move by the Big 12 recognizing the football-less Gonzaga brand.....and would be a shrewd move by Gonzaga to guarantee themselves a seat at the P5 table thereby guaranteeing their slot in future NCAA tourneys.
Question is does anyone else come with them? I know BYU kind of connects the dots to the rest of the conference but that is a long trip to Orlando.

· Registered
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,251 ·
Question is does anyone else come with them? I know BYU kind of connects the dots to the rest of the conference but that is a long trip to Orlando.
Obviously no one from the WCC is coming with them.....but there could be multiple PAC schools in play. And I'd also add San Diego State from the MWC as another possibility.

· Registered
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,252 ·
A 20 member Big 12 would be interesting:

Villanova
UConn
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Central Florida

Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Baylor

Houston
TCU
Texas Tech
Colorado
BYU

Arizona
San Diego State
Oregon
Washington
Gonzaga

· Super Moderator
7,282 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts

· Registered
2,342 Posts
I don't see the remaining top Pac-12 brands going anywhere soon.

Oregon and Washington to the BigTen? Sure, if an invite comes their way, but they aren't joining the Big XII.

Same for Cal and Stanford. The only move that is appealing is the BigTen (which is very unlikely).

Keeping those 4 Pac-12 core members will likely prevent the others (Utah, Colorado, Arizona, ASU, Oregon State, Washington State) from bolting for the BigXII.

The key will be the upcoming Pac-12 media deal. If the numbers are close to the BigXII and ACC, they will likely survive and even expand with SDSU and UNLV. Personally, I don't see Boise State offering a large enough fan base or media market to make it an appealing addition.

· Registered
274 Posts
I don't see the remaining top Pac-12 brands going anywhere soon.

Oregon and Washington to the BigTen? Sure, if an invite comes their way, but they aren't joining the Big XII.

Same for Cal and Stanford. The only move that is appealing is the BigTen (which is very unlikely).

Keeping those 4 Pac-12 core members will likely prevent the others (Utah, Colorado, Arizona, ASU, Oregon State, Washington State) from bolting for the BigXII.

The key will be the upcoming Pac-12 media deal. If the numbers are close to the BigXII and ACC, they will likely survive and even expand with SDSU and UNLV. Personally, I don't see Boise State offering a large enough fan base or media market to make it an appealing addition.
I think it could be a few years but I do think some will leave for the big ten/12. It’s more money which is apparently all that matters..

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Gonzaga in the balcony seat looking down. They have their pick. Honestly, Gonzaga could push future expansion to move really quickly. The geographical best option is the PAC-12. The branding and institutional fit is the Big East. The largest potential long term investment growth is the Big 12.

this will be very interesting.

· Registered
450 Posts
I read a theory that Arizona may be interested in the big 12 if they could come in with Gonzaga. The idea being that with Houston and Kansas already being there and ucla leaving the pac that they may desire more basketball focus and success in conference partners.

7241 - 7260 of 7295 Posts