Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
7261 - 7280 of 7295 Posts

· Registered
4,885 Posts
I've written about this on other boards. This is a non-seismic issue. They are looking at bringing back football to the PFL level so they can combat a 21% disparity in F/M endowment and a nearly 7% decline in overall undergraduate reduction, which has led to a minimum of $10million in lost revenue. As a private school with a loose admission policy and an enrollment of only $260ish million, losing 10 million per annum in revenue is a big deal. Another poster added that overall, the State of Ohio has an 11% reduction in high school seniors and that will add to Xavier's pain.

Getting back at least $4 million in revenue with an average cost of tuition at $35k per annum, which is after aid is dispersed, over 125 males...is a big deal.

That's all this move is about.

· Registered
4,341 Posts
I've written about this on other boards. This is a non-seismic issue. They are looking at bringing back football to the PFL level so they can combat a 21% disparity in F/M endowment and a nearly 7% decline in overall undergraduate reduction, which has led to a minimum of $10million in lost revenue. As a private school with a loose admission policy and an enrollment of only $260ish million, losing 10 million per annum in revenue is a big deal. Another poster added that overall, the State of Ohio has an 11% reduction in high school seniors and that will add to Xavier's pain.

Getting back at least $4 million in revenue with an average cost of tuition at $35k per annum, which is after aid is dispersed, over 125 males...is a big deal.

That's all this move is about.
Xavier isn't alone in lacking male students. Ohio isn't alone in a dwindling high school graduate pool.

If every school makes the same decision, every single high school football player is going to be guaranteed a spot playing in college.

· Registered
2,610 Posts
Well, at least UConn got $1.8 million for the butt kicking they took in the "Big House" today in Ann Arbor.
We (me included!) have endlessly abused UConn football as a subtext of this entire thread, but need to give credit where it has been earned. UConn is now 6-5 after dropping Liberty (whose only prior loss was a one-point defeat against Wake Forest) earlier today. I didn't think I'd see UConn sniff .500 in the FBS again in my lifetime.

· Registered
5,157 Posts
I feel like somewhere over the past 364 pages this "WAC & ASUN are gonna get together and go 1-A" thing has been discussed, but this appears a bit more formal...

· Registered
4,341 Posts
If they can do it....you'd think that the CAA could do it.
I guess that depends on the definition of "it." Field a team? Appear as "opponent" against a P5 team three times per year? Sure. It's a lot of money to spend to do so, but I suppose it is metaphysically possible.

Have any chance to be legitmately competitive in the division as a whole? Absolutely not. At which point, why are we doing this? G5 schools lose money on football, too, even with playoff payouts. This league is unlikely to get a playoff share. No team from this league is ever going to qualify for the playoffs. What benefit does this have to the schools?

· Registered
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,276 ·
I guess that depends on the definition of "it." Field a team? Appear as "opponent" against a P5 team three times per year? Sure. It's a lot of money to spend to do so, but I suppose it is metaphysically possible.

Have any chance to be legitmately competitive in the division as a whole? Absolutely not. At which point, why are we doing this? G5 schools lose money on football, too, even with playoff payouts. This league is unlikely to get a playoff share. No team from this league is ever going to qualify for the playoffs. What benefit does this have to the schools?
Oh I agree with pretty much everything you just stated.....but I also think that the CAA is a much better football conference and brand compared to the A-Sun/WAC conglomeration. My statement was more of put down of this type of "moving up" than a....hey, the CAA should do this.

· Registered
899 Posts

Higher guarantees to be a punching bag for actual FBS teams, since they'll be a counter towards bowl eligibility.

Other than that, I got nothing.

· Registered
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,280 ·
7261 - 7280 of 7295 Posts