Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing that's why they were celebrating like dogs at midcourt, not because they had just needed several miracle shots by a rookie to beat one of the worst teams in the league.

-Pop

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
And we wonder why they were on a losing streak. :biggrin: We handed them the game on a silver platter and it STILL came down to the wire.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watching the Sonics' first round ouster will be a pleasure.

-Pop

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Worse yet, we should've won the game had Shareef not choked - first at the line, then on with the long jumper with plenty of time left on the clock.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
RipCity9 said:
Worse yet, we should've won the game had Shareef not choked - first at the line, then on with the long jumper with plenty of time left on the clock.
Okay, you mean the same choke that everyone's beloved Ray Allen did? Or did I watch a different game, wherein Allen missed his FT. Also, last I checked, an 18-foot jumper from a PF isn't exactly a "gimme" shot. I wouldn't call missing it --- choking.

The team SHOULD HAVE won the game if they continued playing a solid game of basketball from the first half. Pointing out one play is a pretty stupid way to judge whether a team wins or loses. Perhaps we should play an abbreviated basketball schedule and each team gets one shot?

The Blazers played a solid first half - keeping the ball in Miles/Reef/Patterson's hands. The second half, we decided we were a perimeter team. We immediately went down by 8. Then, this team relied on stupid circus shots to get back into the game ... a game that those same stupid shots put us out of.

So, if you want to point fingers at who won or lost the game ... point it at Stoudamire and the coach. Both guys ran the offense and felt it was a great thing to jack up dumb shots.

If they continued to work the game in a similar manner, this game would never have gotten out of hand.

Play.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
Okay, you mean the same choke that everyone's beloved Ray Allen did? Or did I watch a different game, wherein Allen missed his FT. Also, last I checked, an 18-foot jumper from a PF isn't exactly a "gimme" shot. I wouldn't call missing it --- choking.

Play.
With all do respect that was a wide open shot and he makes that all the time. He was a little anxious and hurried the shot. He still didn't make it. Shareef is not a clutch player. You disagree and that’s fine. He did the right thing going for a wide open shot with 14 seconds left. We still had a chance to tie with a 3 but Joel threw a bad pass. He didn't lose it for us; we lost on the rebounds tonight. With the extra rebounds and put backs they killed us in the key.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
...last I checked, an 18-foot jumper from a PF isn't exactly a "gimme" shot. I wouldn't call missing it --- choking.

Play.
That's why he shouldn't have taken the shot.

TAKING the shot was the worst part.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
RW#30 said:
With all do respect that was a wide open shot and he makes that all the time.
Have you watched the past two weeks? His jumper has been terrible. He can't hit anything.

He missed his only other jumper today - an 8 foot shot.

Shareef is not a clutch player.
Go drudge up the conversation where we discussed Reef's ability in the clutch. You'd be suprised. His shooting percentage and FT% in the final minute of games within 5 points is better than his career averages.

This cut on him is an old one - and one that really doesn't apply anymore. In Vancouver, at the start of his career ... okay ... I'll give you that. Now ... nah.

Heck, THIS YEAR, Reef has nailed three game winning shots.

He did the right thing going for a wide open shot with 14 seconds left.
I disagree.

I think he should have known his jumper hasn't been on the past week, so he should have drove to the hole. Tried to draw some contact and get a potential 3 point play.

Play.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
I'm guessing that's why they were celebrating like dogs at midcourt, not because they had just needed several miracle shots by a rookie to beat one of the worst teams in the league.

-Pop
Just to clarify, the Sonics huddle at center court after every game, win or lose. It's just one of their rituals this season. I'm guessing the celebration was more about the game Damien Wilkins had, considering he's been on the bench all season and was only playing because Lewis and Radman are hurt.

My :twocents:.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Fork said:
That's why he shouldn't have taken the shot.

TAKING the shot was the worst part.
No. I disagree.

Reef has to either take the shot or drive the lane. Both moves were open. Typically his jumper is on - and he makes that shot 60-70% of the time when uncovered.

But, the past couple weeks, he hasn't hit anything with his jumper. So, I don't think he should have taken it. But - you HAVE to do something with it.

Play.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
No. I disagree.

Reef has to either take the shot or drive the lane. Both moves were open. Typically his jumper is on - and he makes that shot 60-70% of the time when uncovered.

But, the past couple weeks, he hasn't hit anything with his jumper. So, I don't think he should have taken it. But - you HAVE to do something with it.

Play.
I didn't say he shouldn't have taken A shot. But the one he took was the WORST shot he could have taken. I liked his move the other day, taking it to the rack with the game on the line. I'd give us a 70% chance of winning a game with that shot.

But the one he took? I give us about a 35% chance of winning.

Bad shot.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It was a horrible decision with that much time left on the clock - especially given his poor shooting as of late, not to mention the way our guards were hitting in the fourth.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
The Blazers played a solid first half - keeping the ball in Miles/Reef/Patterson's hands. The second half, we decided we were a perimeter team. We immediately went down by 8. Then, this team relied on stupid circus shots to get back into the game ... a game that those same stupid shots put us out of.
I'm used to it Play, I think all of us should be. When the Blazers play a good team game in the first half, the backcourt gets trigger happy and thinks they won the game so they can do whatever they want and it digs our own grave. Our advantage is on the inside, Shareef, Darius, and Ruben but Damon of course wants to shoot the most amount of baskets, while making the least. I'm used to it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
I disagree.
I think he should have known his jumper hasn't been on the past week, so he should have drove to the hole. Tried to draw some contact and get a potential 3 point play.

Play.
So are you saying he has low basketball IQ? I do agree that would have been a better choice with the lane open.

As for his jump shot he was taking the small 5-7 footers turn around shots and making it. I don't think his shot is way off compare to any other time in his carrier

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
RW#30 said:
So are you saying he has low basketball IQ? I do agree that would have been a better choice with the lane open.
Does everything have to be black and white, every play ultimately conclusive? Maybe Reef has fine basketball IQ and simply made a mistake. Maybe he saw something viewers couldn't that suggested driving the ball would have resulted in a lower percentage shot.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
RipCity9 said:
It was a horrible decision with that much time left on the clock - especially given his poor shooting as of late, not to mention the way our guards were hitting in the fourth.
Actually, our guards had cooled down GREATLY as they had just missed the past 4 shots, if I counted correctly.

Streaky shooting is just that - streaky.

Play.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
RW#30 said:
So are you saying he has low basketball IQ?
Wait. I fail to see the correlation. I mean, that's a giant leap in logic there, RW.

Reef makes what I consider a mistake = Reef has low basketball IQ.

I'm not about to pass ultimate judgement on the shot. I don't know what he saw in the lane. That may have been the highest percentage shot available.

My OPINION is that Reef should have take the lane.

As for his jump shot he was taking the small 5-7 footers turn around shots and making it. I don't think his shot is way off compare to any other time in his carrier
Reef has a carrier? Man, I never knew.

Seriously, yes his shot is terribly off.

5-7 foot turn around and post up shots are different than spot up shots. Completely different. Reef is predominantly a post scorer. That shot is his forte.

The jumper has been more consistant than any other Blazer taking midrange shots this season. He's just been off these past two weeks.

Play.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
Watching the Sonics' first round ouster will be a pleasure.

-Pop
Agreed...they looked horrible tonight. Lewis being out certainly didn't help, but I can't see them winning with those big men.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
If the Sonics match up with the Rockets in the first round, they're not making the second round IMO.

They've had a good season, but the Rockets have a lot of depth in the back court now (amazingly enough) and they have superior bigs.

Ed O.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts