Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came into arguably the worst power program in the country at New Brunswick 5 years ago and now has Rutgers dancing for the first time since 91. I don't think even the most optimistic of Stony Brook fans could have envisioned him having so much success so quickly. Also funny that he was their 3rd choice behind Lonergan and Hurley (who just re-signed at UConn).

Congrats again coach and good luck!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Came into arguably the worst power program in the country at New Brunswick 5 years ago and now has Rutgers dancing for the first time since 91. I don't think even the most optimistic of Stony Brook fans could have envisioned him having so much success so quickly. Also funny that he was their 3rd choice behind Lonergan and Hurley (who just re-signed at UConn).

Congrats again coach and good luck!
The Big Ten Tournament hasn't begun yet and they're 14-10 how are they dancing already?

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
The Big Ten Tournament hasn't begun yet and they're 14-10 how are they dancing already?
Premature on his part, but also inevitable. I think there's enough mediocre teams at or below where Rutgers is that it feels like a lock they'll be included, even if they go one-and-out in Indy. Probably should have just time-released this post for next Sunday.

·
Premium Member
33,641 Posts
Rutgers is getting into which tournament at 14-10? Yikes, COVID NCAA Tournament might be a tough watch.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Premature on his part, but also inevitable. I think there's enough mediocre teams at or below where Rutgers is that it feels like a lock they'll be included, even if they go one-and-out in Indy. Probably should have just time-released this post for next Sunday.
This. The press yesterday were writing congratulatory articles about the team as it should be a lock at this point

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rutgers is getting into which tournament at 14-10? Yikes, COVID NCAA Tournament might be a tough watch.
They went .500 in Big 10 play including a win over Illinois so not sure how that warrants a "yikes." Compare that to Ohio State who got an at large in 2019 going 4 games under 500 in B10 games.

·
Registered
56 Posts
seeing these responses it becomes clear that a lot of guys do not watch basketball away from the America East or just have an ax to grind against pikiell. Steve has done an incredible job putting back to back ncaa tournament teams together at Rutgers. The first time since 1991(Yes, i m including last year as it was a consensus that they were a lock). Also the first time Rutgers has been 500 in conference in back to back years since 91. I believe the first time since early 2000s winning three conference games in a row. This was all done in the big ten. This i crazy but Pikiell owns indiana, purdue, and minnesota at this point. This past two years is the best Rutgers has been since 1979. Many people forget that rutgers was one of the worst jobs in all of college basketball when steve took over. The great danny hurley turned the job down, then lonegran. Pikiell had some balls taking the job(the money makes it easier). Seeing the turnaround there is just crazy. He should be in the running for COY. If Rutgers can some how win a game or two in the tournament pikiell will be the hottest coach in the country and up fro pretty much any job. Rutgers will have to increase his comp.

Now on to this year. Rutgers is 14-10 overall and 10-10 in conference. 38 in NET with 5-8 against Q1, 5-2 against Q2, 2-0 against Q3. There only bad loss was Nebraska by 20 in which they basically cam out asleep. In a non-covid year, they would be a 20 or 21 win team. When was the last time a 20 win big ten team 500 in conference did not make the ncaa tournament?

The issue with Pikiell's team this year is they are inconsistent. He runs the team like Calhoun at UCONN. Full of rebounding and defense followed by a free flowing offense that allows the individual players to make plays instead of running a set every possession. The problem is pikiell does not have Calhoun type players just yet. The defense and rebounding are consistent but offense depending on the night can be brilliant(Illinoise/Indiana) or a nightmare(Ohio State/Nebraska). If Rutgers' guys can click and hit shots like they did against illinois, michigan state, indiana, or 75% of the ohio state game they are an elite eight team. if Geo Baker and Ron Harper dont make shots they are done in the first round.

After seeing Fairfield upset Monmouth last night i chuckled at the thought that a few people at Stony Brook wanted Pikiell gone and more than a few did not want Jay young hired to replace him. Both coaches this year have a shot to make it to the ncaa tournement before stony brook after pikiell left. Rutger's is a lock. Fairfield still has some work to do but with the bracket now wide open with monmouth and siena out of the way it is a little easier. Iona the odds on favorite at this point but anything can happen in March! I can only imagine the look on heilbron's face knowing that pikiell turned around rutgers in 5 years and fairfield going to NCAA tournment while stony brook has dropped like a rock

·
Premium Member
33,641 Posts
I think there's two things; there's the relative job of how Rutgers is doing when compared to Rutgers historically, which I agree Pikiell is doing a tremendous job because Rutgers has been annually terrible, and then there's the how Rutgers is doing relative to all college basketball teams this year, and I'm not seeing an NCAA Tournament team. Obviously, they benefit tremendously by being in B10 which is far and away the best conference this year. I've also seen Rutgers play a few teams this year, they're "meh" and their record speaks for that.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Haha, wolfie is back

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think there's two things; there's the relative job of how Rutgers is doing when compared to Rutgers historically, which I agree Pikiell is doing a tremendous job because Rutgers has been annually terrible, and then there's the how Rutgers is doing relative to all college basketball teams this year, and I'm not seeing an NCAA Tournament team. Obviously, they benefit tremendously by being in B10 which is far and away the best conference this year. I've also seen Rutgers play a few teams this year, they're "meh" and their record speaks for that.

Going 500 in the big ten is meh? finishing tied for 6th in the toughest conference in the country is meh? When was the last time the 6th place big ten team did not qualify for ncaa tournament? Your telling me that Palm, Decourcy, Lunardi are wrong about the being a lock for NCAA? They are not better than Xavier, Memphis, St. Johns, Duke or Seton Hall, Syracuse or Utah State?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pikiell deserves major props. Seems like the school is really supporting its athletics programs. If they weren't, doubt Schiano would return. Would like to see a Syracuse-Rutgers rematch. It was unfortunate that Stonybrook had that transfer exodus. Who knows what could have been.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I hate to say it, but that one is squarely on Pikiell. The offense they were running down the stretch was terrible. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

That doesn’t diminish the job he’s done getting them back to the tournament and winning a game. It’s just too bad because they were the better team until the last 4 minutes.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I hate to say it, but that one is squarely on Pikiell. The offense they were running down the stretch was terrible. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

That doesn’t diminish the job he’s done getting them back to the tournament and winning a game. It’s just too bad because they were the better team until the last 4 minutes.
Yeah things were going well until they started milking the clock super early and trying that 1-4 flat over and over again... Tough way to go out.

·
Registered
239 Posts

I thought it was a little of that. Too much standing there dribbling versus moving the ball to make houston defend and potentially get something easy if not just go one on one to close out the possession.

what killed them and lost them the game was houston getting offensive rebounds that led to scores on 3 or 4 consecutive possessions. I think houston only scored on offensive rebounds over last 3:30 of the game.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I thought it was a little of that. Too much standing there dribbling versus moving the ball to make houston defend and potentially get something easy if not just go one on one to close out the possession.

what killed them and lost them the game was houston getting offensive rebounds that led to scores on 3 or 4 consecutive possessions. I think houston only scored on offensive rebounds over last 3:30 of the game.
Yeah, that missed free throw into a three-pointer was brutal. Just couldn't get a board when they needed one.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Offensive rebounds, 2nd chance points...killed them! That was brutal. He deserves a boatload of credit for turning that program around and a ton of second guessing for that delay tactic at the end. That said, they finished in the Round of 32. That's pretty big for a team that hasn't sniffed the NCAA Tournament for a quarter century.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts