Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were you stoked beyond belief for next week’s UFC 196 main event superfight between lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos and featherweight champ Conor McGregor? You might want to douse those flames.

USA TODAY Sports confirmed with a source close to the fight that dos Anjos (25-7 MMA, 14-5 UFC) has suffered a broken foot in the final days leading up to the fight with McGregor (19-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC). UFC officials have not made an announcement, but the injury will force dos Anjos off the card. Brazilian news outlet Globo first reported dos Anjos’ withdrawal.

It also is not yet known if McGregor will remain on the card against a short-notice opponent, and if so, if that fight would be for an interim title – which would be a bit of history repeating for the Irish superstar. The difference this time, though, is that McGregor was attempting to become the first fighter in UFC history to hold titles in two divisions at the same time.

UFC 196 takes place March 5 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card will air on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass. The co-main event is scheduled to be a women’s bantamweight title bout between champion Holly Holm and former title challenger Miesha Tate, with the winner expected to face former champ Ronda Rousey later this year.

The bout between dos Anjos and McGregor is a rare super fight that was set to live up to the name: McGregor is No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings, and dos Anjos is No. 1 at lightweight. McGregor is also No. 4 pound-for-pound, while dos Anjos sits at No. 6.

The development will seem like a recurring dream for McGregor. This past July, in the days leading up to a featherweight title fight against Jose Aldo at UFC 189, Aldo pulled out of the fight with an injury. The UFC was able to tab two-time title challenger Chad Mendes to face McGregor for an interim belt, and McGregor won with a second-round TKO.

In December, in the UFC 194 main event in Las Vegas, McGregor finally got to face Aldo to unify the titles – and won with a stunning 13-second one-punch knockout.

But rather than defending his new 145-pound belt right away, McGregor wanted to move up to lightweight to challenge for the title there. The UFC booked the fight with dos Anjos, who won the title with a domination of Anthony Pettis at UFC 185, and in December shut down Donald Cerrone with a TKO in a little more than a minute at UFC on FOX 17.

McGregor has implied that his plan is to win the lightweight title, then move up yet another weight class to welterweight to challenge champ Robbie Lawler for his belt at UFC 200 in July in Las Vegas. First up, though, was the planned fight with dos Anjos, which the UFC understandably had put a massive amount of promotional muscle behind.

Stay tuned to MMAjunkie for more on this storty as it develops.
http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/report-rafael-dos-anjos-forced-out-of-conor-mcgregor-superfight-at-ufc-196-with-broken-foot

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Last Winter Was The Coldest
2,594 Posts
Even though the Diaz bros are indeed scrubs I feel like people are already under estimating Nate. If Nate doesn't clown around or try to duke it out things may get interesting.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Conor is a maniac. I think it made a lot of sense for a lot of reasons for Diaz to be the guy he fights, but for Conor to jump from fighting at 155 to 170 on TWO WEEKS NOTICE....

I know Conor has already said he's not afraid to fight at any weight class, but to not even have a camp geared around fighting at that weight is risky. But hey, he thinks he's untouchable and he hasn't been wrong yet. Can't be the best ever if you don't do some genuinely impressive shit.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Dana is claiming Frankie Edgar "refused" to take the fight, and Edgar is apparently on the warpath defending himself claiming that he was never offered the fight.

Personally, an Edgar/McGregor fight is a MUCH better option but Dana also knows that Diaz knows how to sell and obviously Conor does as well.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
McGregor - Diaz conference higlights

I found it interesting that when McGregor brought up the weight difference, Diaz said he was ready to fight at whatever. So you're saying Conor VOLUNTEERED to jump up 15 lbs up to 170 lbs on two weeks notice after training an entire camp for 155 lbs?

He brags that Conor has only fought midgets, yet makes him jump 15 lbs. I believe this reaction is the intended desire of the UFC, but I hope Conor gives him the left hand kiss of death in the first two rounds. I have no problem with Nate Diaz, I just want to see Conor continue to roll. He wants to be viewed as the greatest ever and he is willing to put it all on the line for that goal. Win or lose, it is applaudable.

As far as the matchup goes, logic says Diaz has the advantage. He is fighting at a more natural weight, and the amount of strength he should have cutting to 170 could be very different than the strength Conor has bulking up on short notice to 170. Weighing in at 155 does not mean walking around at 155 before or during the fight, but I would bet huge money that Diaz weighs more on fight night.

McGregor is a wizard at putting people to sleep, and the power he has in his left hand is devastating. With that being said, he has only ever lost twice and both times it was by submission. Nate Diaz has 18 wins and 11 of them were by submission. McGrego has 17 of his 19 wins coming from knockouts, but Diaz has only ever been knocked out once in ten losses. It is hard to imagine a guy giving up serious weight is going to knock out a guy known for having an iron chin.

As a betting man I would think Diaz as a serious underdog seems like a wise bet due to the odds he's giving up and the typical advantages you would expect, but McGregor has just been unstoppable.

I will need to see Conor lose before I can believe it, but I thought the same thing about Ronda Rousey.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Let's go Nate! Shock the world!

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Conor got shut up. The dude was beating up midgets in the weakest division in the UFC and should stick to it. Jon Jones is the best fighter in the world not Conor.

But Hopefully someone is checking on Dana White tonight first Ronda and now Conor.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
McGregor - Diaz conference higlights

UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz - Press Conference Highlights - YouTube

I found it interesting that when McGregor brought up the weight difference, Diaz said he was ready to fight at whatever. So you're saying Conor VOLUNTEERED to jump up 15 lbs up to 170 lbs on two weeks notice after training an entire camp for 155 lbs?

He brags that Conor has only fought midgets, yet makes him jump 15 lbs. I believe this reaction is the intended desire of the UFC, but I hope Conor gives him the left hand kiss of death in the first two rounds. I have no problem with Nate Diaz, I just want to see Conor continue to roll. He wants to be viewed as the greatest ever and he is willing to put it all on the line for that goal. Win or lose, it is applaudable.

As far as the matchup goes, logic says Diaz has the advantage. He is fighting at a more natural weight, and the amount of strength he should have cutting to 170 could be very different than the strength Conor has bulking up on short notice to 170. Weighing in at 155 does not mean walking around at 155 before or during the fight, but I would bet huge money that Diaz weighs more on fight night.

McGregor is a wizard at putting people to sleep, and the power he has in his left hand is devastating. With that being said, he has only ever lost twice and both times it was by submission. Nate Diaz has 18 wins and 11 of them were by submission. McGrego has 17 of his 19 wins coming from knockouts, but Diaz has only ever been knocked out once in ten losses. It is hard to imagine a guy giving up serious weight is going to knock out a guy known for having an iron chin.

As a betting man I would think Diaz as a serious underdog seems like a wise bet due to the odds he's giving up and the typical advantages you would expect, but McGregor has just been unstoppable.

I will need to see Conor lose before I can believe it, but I thought the same thing about Ronda Rousey.
Did you just start watching MMA? Jumping up in weight is a bullshit excuse most guys train and even get in the ring alot heavy then they weight in at and weight class they are apart of. Conor natural weight is probably around 160-170 range so it is that much of a difference

Jumping up and down in weight is natural and these guys always train heavier then they actually fight otherwise they wouldnt be able to train as hard as they do.

·
Last Winter Was The Coldest
2,594 Posts
Conor got shut up. The dude was beating up midgets in the weakest division in the UFC and should stick to it. Jon Jones is the best fighter in the world not Conor.

But Hopefully someone is checking on Dana White tonight first Ronda and now Conor.

Def. concur, Connor got punked by Diaz holy fuck what a quick tap as well.

I'm gonna lose my shit if DC somehow beats Jon Jones.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Anthony Pettis said that both he & Cowboy Cerrone approached Dana saying they wanted the fight but were told that McGregor was picking the opponent. Dana also claimed that Edgar refused the fight, something Frankie claims was never offered to him. So with those three out of the way, McGregor hand picked Diaz.

And lost.

Surely doesn't look good for Dana, McGregor and the UFC. Totally devalues the 145 strap as well.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Anthony Pettis said that both he & Cowboy Cerrone approached Dana saying they wanted the fight but were told that McGregor was picking the opponent. Dana also claimed that Edgar refused the fight, something Frankie claims was never offered to him. So with those three out of the way, McGregor hand picked Diaz.

And lost.

Surely doesn't look good for Dana, McGregor and the UFC. Totally devalues the 145 strap as well.
You're absolutely right. This was a disaster for Connor and the weight class.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
The whole night was a disaster for the UFC and Dana White. They lost their big money Holly vs. Ronda rematch and now they might have lost Conor vs. Bigger Weight Classes fights. The only fight that makes sense now for UFC is Conor vs. Frankie Edgar

UFC needs Jon Jones to rescue them

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
UFC 200 card is gonna be interesting. Guessing Dana was looking at Conor vs. GSP and Holly vs. Ronda for that card.

It could still happen but i doubt it now

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you just start watching MMA? Jumping up in weight is a bullshit excuse most guys train and even get in the ring alot heavy then they weight in at and weight class they are apart of. Conor natural weight is probably around 160-170 range so it is that much of a difference

Jumping up and down in weight is natural and these guys always train heavier then they actually fight otherwise they wouldnt be able to train as hard as they do.
This is not some little known MMA knowledge nugget that fighters cut weight for weigh ins, you should probably take that stick out of your ass.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Just read an article on ESPN.com where Dana said the winner of Tate/Holm gets Rousey, as if THAT'S the reward. I mean, sure, it's a money fight but it sounds so undermining when you put it like that. Also, Dana sent Rousey a text after the fight saying Tate choked out Holm to which Ronda responded with "Looks like I gotta get back to work."

Funny, didn't she want to take a slight break to film some movies when the Holy rematch talk surfaced? If memory serves they were aiming for a potential Fall rematch. However, once Tate claims the gold--who, ironically, Ronda has beaten twice--she's all fired up and ready to start training again?

Puh-leeeeez. Her shtick is growing so old.

/rant

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
This is not some little known MMA knowledge nugget that fighters cut weight for weigh ins, you should probably take that stick out of your ass.
And that is my point. You acting like this is the first time a guy has gone up or down in a weight class.

Nate Diaz normally fight at 155 and had 2 weeks. McGregor didnt he had a full camp to prepare for RDA where he was most likely training at the 165 range. The whole 2 weeks notice and jumping up in weight class isnt a excuse and McGregor isnt using it as one his fans are.

He needs to fight Frankie Edgar now and if he wins i hope Dominick Cruz moves up to 145 to fight him and i think he will if he also wins his next fight

1 - 20 of 22 Posts