Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the fish is in the air, or the stench is in the fish, or the fish is in the stench... whatever it is that they say before something really fishy and stinky happens... that's what they should be saying. Because something is most certainly up. Jamal Crawford played limited minutes in the final two games. Was this just to give Mason the numbers at the point that he was entitled to as an equal member of the rookie squad, or was JC held out because a trade is in the works, and they don't want to risk him to injury? Or could it be that he simply posed too much of a liability on the defensive end of the court to be kept on the court. I tend to side on the second proposition, but I tell you there's some thing funny in my bones. There's that something in the air, that wind brewing. Something is up, and I don't like it. I think it comes in the form of a trade, but I can't be sure. My senses tell me that it invovles JC, but I've been wrong before. Either way, JC was on the sideline watching JC hoist up 16 shots to his 2. I think that's a very significant fact. We'll see what happens...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Really,

I'm hoping they work out a deal for Mike Miller, but I'm hoping it ivolve Erob and Craw and not Fizer I really like him. I think he''' be like a Corliss Williamson 6th man player.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Williamson plays some D. Fizer is a selfish, no D, lousy rebounding, undersized power forward.

Fizer is so one dimensional, and it is the one dimension the Bulls really don't need. They need team players, not selfish gunners. Fizer shoots and shoots and shoots. We need a defender and rebounder, especially with the rest of our front court not being good defenders either.

If this Baxter is that type of player then I think it is time to get Fizer out. The problem is, I just don't see much worth for Fizer. No defense ball hogs usually don't get much in return in a trade.

Package Fizer, Crawford, and a draft pick if needed for a veteran player who can play D.

I liked the Rose trade, but in doing that trade we gave up a defensive identity in Artest. Now the Bulls have one good defender in Hassell, and that's not enough to win. They need much more.

Fizer is a round peg in a square hole on this team. A bench player who doesn't defend or rebound, and stops any ball movement by cucking up shot after shot. Get rid of him.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Or could it be that JWill missed the first couple games and Craw got major minutes, so it was a role reversal so both would get equal time at the point?

Don't look too far into it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by RetroDreams
Or could it be that JWill missed the first couple games and Craw got major minutes, so it was a role reversal so both would get equal time at the point?

damn, i didn't think of that. good point retro. well lets hope that's right because i'm personally intrigued by JC as everyone should be. i keep thinking he's young. everyone's developmental cycle is different - not just physically but mentally and emotionally. JC's development needs to happen in all three of these areas. He's still too tentative on the court. That could be because of his light frame, if that's the case then he needs to gain weight, but even with added strength he needs to start attacking the basket more. Mason looks to have some very good range on his shot. And he's a solid defender. I came away very impressed. He's intense. I think Mason is going to make Jay and JC work hard at the point. Again, I don't think JC will get many minutes at the 2, and when he does he's likely to get burned badly on the defensive end.

·
Registered
45 Posts
or it COULD be

That Krispy Kreme Krause has worked out a sign and trade deal involving rashard lewis, marcus fizer and Jamal Crawford.

Just guessing, don't take this too much to heart, i'm really full of crap.

I'd be sad to see both of them go! :cry:

·
Registered
337 Posts
everyone's making a big deal about how jc is not that good of a defender, but the fact is, for most of the second half of the season the bulls played a lot of zone, so jc doesnt have to be great on D, and with his long arms, playing in a zone will make him that much better...i also think that we are making trent better than he is, he is a solid defender, but his offensive game is very shaky. anyone remember stephen jackson from the nets a couple years ago, he is the same type of player that trent is, he avg like 10 ppg, and was a solid defender on a bad team, sound familiar. now jackson is trying to just make a roster. im not sayin that trent will fall off into obscurity, but i think were overating him, most guys who come into the league like he did (3-4 years at a small college), make a solid impact in his first year on a bad team, do not improve that much over the next few years, ie. stephen jackson, shamond williams, kalid el-amin (he was solid when he was on the bulls, now he cant make a roster). i just think we could be in for a big letdown this year with hassel.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
i dont think crawford is that bad on defense, last year he got a couple steals, and blocked a few shots... with time he should be good

keep in mind its hard for a 6ft 6in PG to guard a fast little mofo, and it's hard for a fast little mofo to guard a 6ft 6in PG like crawford

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Originally posted by Crawscrew
everyone's making a big deal about how jc is not that good of a defender, but the fact is, for most of the second half of the season the bulls played a lot of zone, so jc doesnt have to be great on D, and with his long arms, playing in a zone will make him that much better...i also think that we are making trent better than he is, he is a solid defender, but his offensive game is very shaky. anyone remember stephen jackson from the nets a couple years ago, he is the same type of player that trent is, he avg like 10 ppg, and was a solid defender on a bad team, sound familiar. now jackson is trying to just make a roster. im not sayin that trent will fall off into obscurity, but i think were overating him, most guys who come into the league like he did (3-4 years at a small college), make a solid impact in his first year on a bad team, do not improve that much over the next few years, ie. stephen jackson, shamond williams, kalid el-amin (he was solid when he was on the bulls, now he cant make a roster). i just think we could be in for a big letdown this year with hassel.
With all due respect I must disagree with your vision of Hassel's development. True he doesn't have the outside range and stroke of JC or Rose, BUT he does have a very effective mid-range shot, and he jumps high when he shoots. He's very adept at driving the lane and drawing contact, he's a damn good finisher with the reverse lay-in. His dribble has improved from last year, and he often ran the floor with the ball effectively in transition (often to blow the play with a poor passing decision). He's athletic, and goes up for rebounds in traffic without fear. His defense is not at Ron Artest's level, but opposing 2's will find him very difficult to shake (remember what he did to Stackhouse at the end of last season?). I'd like to see Hassel's spot up J improve a lot more. I think he has the foundation to become a solid 3pt shooter. He's a dedicated worker with a solid foundation of skills and athletic abililty. If I were a gambling man, I'd say the safe bet is on #44.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I wouldn't read too much into JC not getting a ton of minutes. If JC was truly on the block, the Bulls wouldn't let him play at all to avoid possible injury.

As far JC's ability to defend goes, I don't think that he's nearly as bad as you all are making him out to be. Although he made mistakes, I thought he play solid D last season for a guy with such little playing experience. JC has two things that you can't teach, height and wing span. I expect him to become a better defender as the seaon progresses.

·
Registered
74 Posts
JW only missed one RMR game not a couple.

JC getting 2 shots has more to do w/ JW than JC. We know if JC touches the ball he'll shoot. JW just never got him the ball much. If he had played 18 minutes and scored 9 points on 4-9 shooting etc (w/ 1 3pter) no one would be talking. To me JC only getting 2 shots is surprising and a problem, but not really one JC can be blamed for. Either someone makes a move and throws it out to him or he has the ball and creates a shot with his dribble. It looks like neither happened yesterday.

Baxter still has a long long way to go. He was a very good college player and his maturity showed in RMR just remember at 6'7" he would still have to be a very special player to succeed once he starts facing bigger and experienced players. I like his attitude a lot though. He has shown better rebounding and ability to finish than Fizer did as a rookie in Summer league. And at their size ability to finish is the key. Who knows if Fizer will ever shoot better than 43%, but don't count on Baxter being able to match Fizer's stats just yet.

------------------

Now if you want a real conspiracy rumor. One I created. It's about Bags. Quickly... JW wanted #22 so TH wanted #44 So Bags switched to #24 then a week later he switched to #14. Why did he switch again? Did someone tell him we were close to acquiring a player who wanted or already using the #24? Hmmm... Morris Peterson and Andre Miller wear #24. Have fun.... :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ABull I appreciate your sense of humor, and your contribution to the original intent of this thread - to breed rumors in addition to noting the one's we here by hearsay(SP?). I now know why JC played less minutes in the final two games. He was giving minutes to Jay, yes, but he was also giving minutes to Mason (at BOTH the 1 AND the 2 spot. So really Mason effected his PT more than Jay"dubya". And this is interesting because ultimately this type of dynamic is likely to occur once the regular season starts. That's because the 1 spot has the least amount of depth. The two spot has Hassell, Rose, Mason, EROb. And that's why the arguement about JC playing the two and getting good minutes is such a hox. He may add 10 minutes to his PT playing at the 2, but that's it. Most games he won't even do that because he'll be too much of a risk in defending the opposing 2. If you think that JC guarding 2's isn't a big deal, you're dead wrong. With BC as coach, and his emphasis on everything defensive, you can't expect JC's D to bleed points for very long. BC will insert Mason or Hassell in to stop the bleeding, and in so doing, they may just prove themselves too valuable on the court to take off in order to give "crossover" his minutes.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think Jc's limited minutes were to get mason and the other swingman some pt as most had gotten no pt since jwill cam back in the second game .

I think that Bc was very pleased with JC as he had the most assists in both of our victories and was playing a very good floor game at the point . The team only struggled when he was moved to sg .

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Originally posted by RetroDreams

I like your thoughts on this retro.....in addition, I am not sure the verdict on fizer is final yet.....I still think this guy could devlop defensively and even more offensively. I would be willing to see how he does on both ends this season and how the Bulls do as a whole. I truly wonder if Krause is "dangling" our two second rounders as part of a package more than crawford....? I think Crawford is here to stay as is Jay W. Like you say, it is REALLY too early to make any educated guess on where Krause is going with this team as far as personnel goes, until at least september. THATS when the "bargains" should be running rampid. GO BULLS~~~:grinning:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts