Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an unexpected and very interesting surprise last night at the Pacers game.

A supplier of mine invited me and my wife to their box for the Raps game. We got there a couple of hours early and were the first ones there. Got to see the Raps go through individual workouts. More on that later.

As more guests would come in I would turn to greet them and introduce myself. Most were just business types like myself.

But then I turn to see the latest guest and it is none other than Butch Carter, former coach of the Raps. And a little later in walks Cito Gaston, former coach of the Jays, and his wife.

It was pretty cool. Talk about luck. Both guys were quite nice. Cito is a classy guy. Very well-spoken and charming.

Butch has a lot more 'street' to him in his attitude and the way he talks. Has this high pitched giggle, which from such a big guy with a deep voice is strange. Didn't get to talk with him as much since he was talking with one other guy most of the night.

On Moiso - Butch said it was hard to judge what he has until you see him against the top 8 players/teams. Not many guys who can play at that level.

On MoP - Butch thinks the Raps will let him walk. He agreed that MoP hadn't upped his game at all, but blamed Lenny. Said that a player needs help to improve.

He confirmed that the Raps were trying to get Marshall back when Butch was coach. Imagine how that could have changed our team.

I think he was talking a lot about Isaiah to this other guy but it was too loud to hear him properly. Did he '*****-slap' Isiah at some pont? He mentioned it was in the papers. Definitely bad blood there.

Strong supporter of VC's although he knows Vince needs to bring it more regularly.

Cito had a lot of respect for both Lenny and Isiah.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
thanks for that. it's always interesting to hear these guys talk when recorders aren't being shoved in their faces. they offer quality insight in those situations.

about butch, i always wondered about him. i don't think he really had too much tact to begin with (hence, his candour last night) and that may have proven to be his demise from the coaching ranks. it's really interesting to hear how he is behind closed doors.

that comment on mo pete, although speculative, seems to make sense, too. the raps may indeed let him walk this summer. i think i expect them to do so since he probably won't be worth the coin he'll be demanding. of course, he'll certainly be hard-pressed to find a team that won't feel that same way.

thanks again for the "PI work". :)

peace

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Butch lives in toronto. Cito and his wife stay in Florida for at least half the year, but he is always in town doing charity events for no money.

I couldn't quite hear what Butch was saying about flying down to the states. I thought it might be a job interview, but I just couldn't make it out. Butch definitely loves Toronto. Cito made a point of mentioning that. I think they talk quite often.

Would have liked to talk to Butch more, but it was difficult and I didn't want to be rude about it.

Cito was much easier to talk to. He was actually chatting with my wife for the entire second quarter. I went back there at halftime to chat with him.

As I said, it was pure luck that they were there. I had no idea they would be coming. It's usually just a nice place to watch the game from when you get the invite, which isn't too often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.